GObject support

Ildar Mulyukov
        Hello, smalltalk people!

Gtk support in gst is unique in Smalltalk world. An experience of
adopting the Gtk is well-known in some projects. I know of GTK# very
well. They scan header files using a perl program and reconstruct the
whole GTK object hierarchy, just like in gst. OK then.

Some thing that we should learn:

1. This is actually not a "Gtk" API, it is GObject-based API. E.g. GTK#
call it GAPI.

2. Therefore this API is not restricted to just Gtk, there are lots of
other useful APIs worth adopting. GDA would give you a great database
access to a wide range of DB engines (so called DBMS'). Glade is UI
building library. Gnome, Gmime, a lot more!

3. Additionally using SqueakDotNet I found that they use blocks as a
callback "functions", not selectors (as in gst Gtk package). This looks
elegant and universal, though I doubt that it's possible in gst.

Any ideas? Feedback is very much welcome.

Best regards, Ildar.

Note: I am really a newbie in Smalltalk, though having a long period of
programming in past. I like Test Driven Development and some other
extreme programming (XP) practices. Looking forward to participate in
gst project.
--
Ildar  Mulyukov,
  free SW designer/programmer

Re: GObject support

Paolo Bonzini
> 1. This is actually not a "Gtk" API, it is GObject-based API. E.g. GTK#
> call it GAPI.

Yes, that's true.

> 3. Additionally using SqueakDotNet I found that they use blocks as a
> callback "functions", not selectors (as in gst Gtk package). This looks
> elegant and universal, though I doubt that it's possible in gst.

You can just use a selector of #value:value: (or similar) and a block as
the callback receiver.

Paolo