GRCountingStream

Johan Brichau-2
Hi,

GRCountingStream is referenced by Seaside (in WAComboResponse) but it’s not included in the Grease-Core package (it’s in Grease-Pharo30-Core).
I don’t see a reason not to include into Grease-Core. Or am I missing anything?

I noticed this now while working on the Gemstone version and I would need to duplicate it otherwise in the Grease-GemStone-Core package.

Ok if I move it?

Johan_______________________________________________
seaside-dev mailing list

Re: GRCountingStream

Philippe Marschall
On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 10:22 AM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> GRCountingStream is referenced by Seaside (in WAComboResponse) but it’s not included in the Grease-Core package (it’s in Grease-Pharo30-Core).
> I don’t see a reason not to include into Grease-Core. Or am I missing anything?
>
> I noticed this now while working on the Gemstone version and I would need to duplicate it otherwise in the Grease-GemStone-Core package.
>
> Ok if I move it?

Sure. On the other hand maybe WAComboResponse should go to
Seaside-Pharo-Core or even Seaside-Adaptors-Comanche.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: GRCountingStream

Johan Brichau-2

On 16 Feb 2014, at 14:23, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sure. On the other hand maybe WAComboResponse should go to
> Seaside-Pharo-Core or even Seaside-Adaptors-Comanche.

The ZincStreamingAdaptor is using it as well.
It's probably never going to be usable in Gemstone, but I assume it is usable on other platforms than Pharo, Squeak?

For now, I will just move GRCountingStream to Grease-Core.

Johan_______________________________________________
seaside-dev mailing list

Re: GRCountingStream

Philippe Marschall
On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 9:24 PM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 16 Feb 2014, at 14:23, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Sure. On the other hand maybe WAComboResponse should go to
>> Seaside-Pharo-Core or even Seaside-Adaptors-Comanche.
>
> The ZincStreamingAdaptor is using it as well.
> It's probably never going to be usable in Gemstone, but I assume it is usable on other platforms than Pharo, Squeak?

If it works with Zinc on Pharo why wouldn't it work with Zinc on Gemstone?

Cheers
Philippe

Re: GRCountingStream

Philippe Marschall
On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 9:24 PM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 16 Feb 2014, at 14:23, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Sure. On the other hand maybe WAComboResponse should go to
>> Seaside-Pharo-Core or even Seaside-Adaptors-Comanche.
>
> The ZincStreamingAdaptor is using it as well.
> It's probably never going to be usable in Gemstone, but I assume it is usable on other platforms than Pharo, Squeak?
>
> For now, I will just move GRCountingStream to Grease-Core.

You probably forgot to commit Grease-Pharo-Core.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: GRCountingStream

Johan Brichau-2

On 16 Feb 2014, at 23:03, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 9:24 PM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 16 Feb 2014, at 14:23, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Sure. On the other hand maybe WAComboResponse should go to
>>> Seaside-Pharo-Core or even Seaside-Adaptors-Comanche.
>>
>> The ZincStreamingAdaptor is using it as well.
>> It's probably never going to be usable in Gemstone, but I assume it is usable on other platforms than Pharo, Squeak?
>>
>> For now, I will just move GRCountingStream to Grease-Core.
>
> You probably forgot to commit Grease-Pharo-Core.

No, it was there.
But you also committed a .85 version afterwards (see below).
I merged them now.

Name: Grease-Core-pmm.85
Author: pmm
Time: 16 February 2014, 11:16:53 pm
UUID: 792050f8-aab9-4903-9d9d-64ef14554008
Ancestors: Grease-Core-pmm.84

Name: Grease-Core-JohanBrichau.85
Author: JohanBrichau
Time: 16 February 2014, 9:30:16.525052 pm
UUID: ac4a44c6-5fdf-40b5-844a-eb61bc6cca48
Ancestors: Grease-Core-pmm.84

move GRCountingStream from Pharo-only package to Core_______________________________________________
seaside-dev mailing list

Re: GRCountingStream

Johan Brichau-2

On 16 Feb 2014, at 22:50, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If it works with Zinc on Pharo why wouldn't it work with Zinc on Gemstone?

In general, I think the streaming responses have an issue with the transactional approach taken for each request in GLASS.
Each request in GLASS is a transaction that is aborted and retried on commit failure. An abort/retry in the presence of a streaming response does not happen transparently
It can work (I think) but not without some additional developer 'attention'.

We are not using the streaming responses, but I might take a look at them in the future and see if we can add support from within the framework to deal with them in GLASS.
Though, for now, they probably can achieve strange results.

Johan_______________________________________________
seaside-dev mailing list

Re: GRCountingStream

Philippe Marschall
On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 7:02 AM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 16 Feb 2014, at 22:50, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> If it works with Zinc on Pharo why wouldn't it work with Zinc on Gemstone?
>
> In general, I think the streaming responses have an issue with the transactional approach taken for each request in GLASS.
> Each request in GLASS is a transaction that is aborted and retried on commit failure. An abort/retry in the presence of a streaming response does not happen transparently
> It can work (I think) but not without some additional developer 'attention'.
>
> We are not using the streaming responses, but I might take a look at them in the future and see if we can add support from within the framework to deal with them in GLASS.
> Though, for now, they probably can achieve strange results.

Good points.

Cheers
Philippe