GRDynamicVariable implementations for VW and VASt

GRDynamicVariable implementations for VW and VASt

Max Leske
Hey,

I've whipped up implementations for GRDynamicVariable in VW and VASt (see links below). The implementations are based on the older version of the current Pharo implementation (i.e. they use the class as as key opposed to a singleton instance). I don't know how VW and VASt pick up changes. Do we e-mail them changesets or something?

Cheers,
Max

Re: GRDynamicVariable implementations for VW and VASt

Johan Brichau-2
For VA, I think John O’Keefe is doing the porting. I don’t know if he is still following this mailinglist but I’m sure he can appreciate sending him some code to help in the porting.
From what I experienced, they only start porting when it was released.

For VW: I don’t know.

Seems like we have a green build for Grease with the GRDynamicVariable added.
I will do a pre-release of Grease version 1.3 on github

On 25 May 2017, at 17:06, Max Leske <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hey,

I've whipped up implementations for GRDynamicVariable in VW and VASt (see links below). The implementations are based on the older version of the current Pharo implementation (i.e. they use the class as as key opposed to a singleton instance). I don't know how VW and VASt pick up changes. Do we e-mail them changesets or something?

Cheers,
Max

Re: GRDynamicVariable implementations for VW and VASt

John O'Keefe
Yes, I am still in the porting business and I follow this list as well as the STHub/GitHub updates.

John

John O'Keefe [|], CTO/Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
Skype: john_okeefe2     Mobile:  +1 919 417-3181 (Business hours USA Eastern Time zone (GMT -5))
[hidden email]
http://www.instantiations.com
VA Smalltalk...Onward and Upward!

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 11:29 AM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:
For VA, I think John O’Keefe is doing the porting. I don’t know if he is still following this mailinglist but I’m sure he can appreciate sending him some code to help in the porting.
From what I experienced, they only start porting when it was released.

On 25 May 2017, at 17:33, John O'Keefe <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes, I am still in the porting business and I follow this list as well as the STHub/GitHub updates.

Great to hear. Let us know when we can do something to help.

Max

John

John O'Keefe [|], CTO/Principal Smalltalk Architect, Instantiations Inc.
Skype: john_okeefe2     Mobile:  +1 919 417-3181 (Business hours USA Eastern Time zone (GMT -5))
[hidden email]
http://www.instantiations.com
VA Smalltalk...Onward and Upward!

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 11:29 AM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:
For VA, I think John O’Keefe is doing the porting. I don’t know if he is still following this mailinglist but I’m sure he can appreciate sending him some code to help in the porting.
From what I experienced, they only start porting when it was released.

On 25 May 2017, at 17:38, Max Leske <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 25 May 2017, at 17:33, John O'Keefe <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes, I am still in the porting business and I follow this list as well as the STHub/GitHub updates.

Great to hear. Let us know when we can do something to help.

Hi John,

Great to hear!

Johan

Re: GRDynamicVariable implementations for VW and VASt

Esteban A. Maringolo
> For VA, I think John O’Keefe is doing the porting. I don’t know if he is
> still following this mailinglist but I’m sure he can appreciate sending him
> some code to help in the porting.
> From what I experienced, they only start porting when it was released.
>
> For VW: I don’t know.

As I mentioned before, I'm pursuing a project using Seaside in
VisualWorks, I don't know who maintains the current available port,
which is Seaside 3.1, I will talk with somebody from Cincom to know
who maintains the codebase and if he/she could use my help. l already
ported Seaside to Dolphin a decade ago, I guess could do it with VW
this time. :)

Unfortunately VW doesn't support git, and as far as I could see the
whole "migration" process is very manual.
However in the process of migrating my own frameworks from Pharo, I
refined the Roassal exporter to be more customizable, and could also
migrate some third party packages like JQuery-Core, so it is doable.

As a baseline we should have a version of Grease that works in all
dialects, are the version numbers of Grease the same in all dialects?

I'm interested in having the more recent version available, so I'm
willing to help with this.

Regards,

Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: GRDynamicVariable implementations for VW and VASt

Philippe Marschall
On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 4:48 AM, Esteban A. Maringolo
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> For VA, I think John O’Keefe is doing the porting. I don’t know if he is
>> still following this mailinglist but I’m sure he can appreciate sending him
>> some code to help in the porting.
>> From what I experienced, they only start porting when it was released.
>>
>> For VW: I don’t know.
>
> As I mentioned before, I'm pursuing a project using Seaside in
> VisualWorks, I don't know who maintains the current available port,
> which is Seaside 3.1,

They should have 3.2 [1]

> Unfortunately VW doesn't support git, and as far as I could see the
> whole "migration" process is very manual.

AFAIK there is work being done on file tree.

 [1] https://www.slideshare.net/esug/cincom-smalltalk-roadmap-2016

Cheers
Philippe

Re: GRDynamicVariable implementations for VW and VASt

Esteban A. Maringolo

> On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 4:48 AM, Esteban A. Maringolo
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> For VA, I think John O’Keefe is doing the porting. I don’t know if he is
>>> still following this mailinglist but I’m sure he can appreciate sending him
>>> some code to help in the porting.
>>> From what I experienced, they only start porting when it was released.
>>>
>>> For VW: I don’t know.
>>
>> As I mentioned before, I'm pursuing a project using Seaside in
>> VisualWorks, I don't know who maintains the current available port,
>> which is Seaside 3.1,
>
> They should have 3.2 [1]

My mistake, they do have 3.2 available in the public repository, but
they ship VW with a 3.1 version.

>> Unfortunately VW doesn't support git, and as far as I could see the
>> whole "migration" process is very manual.
>
> AFAIK there is work being done on file tree.

Last time I checked STIG (Cypress implementation for VW) it didn't
quite work as expected, and in that thread Martin McLure (GemTalk)
told me he was working on a new version of Cypress that would be
available by midyear. Maybe that is what you're referring to.

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: GRDynamicVariable implementations for VW and VASt

Philippe Marschall
On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 1:39 PM, Esteban A. Maringolo
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Last time I checked STIG (Cypress implementation for VW) it didn't
> quite work as expected, and in that thread Martin McLure (GemTalk)
> told me he was working on a new version of Cypress that would be
> available by midyear. Maybe that is what you're referring to.

Probably, I'm not familiar with the details.

Cheers
Philippe