[GS/SS Beta] Setup a new copy of Glass

Jon Paynter-2
Im trying to setup a new copy of Glass on my newly setup Ubuntu box, but im missing some fundamental step somewhere.
Following the instructions here:
http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/downloads.html

I ran the install.sh script and it completed without errors.  next I followed the steps found here:
http://seaside.gemtalksystems.com/userguide.html#Linux-installation

I can start my seaside stone and see the processes running, but when I run "startSeaside_Hyper 50081"  I get errors because the WA* classes arent found.

Next I downloaded the pharo 1-click image from downloads page.  Running that on my windows PC I can connect to my glass instance with no problem.  Next I followed the link on the downloads page to update gemtools and update glass.  Neither of them gave any visible errors.

But after some class browsing it seems there are no seaside related classes anywhere in the stone.

Where is the step I missed to actually load the seaside code into gemstone?

Re: [GS/SS Beta] Setup a new copy of Glass

James Foster-9
"In GemStone 2.4.4.1 and later, the extent is preloaded with only the base GLASS classes loaded (Seaside is not preloaded). To create a custom extent, simply load the Metacello configurations for the projects that you want loaded into your extent.” --https://code.google.com/p/glassdb/wiki/GettingStartedWithGLASS

A sample script is at the bottom of that page...

James

On Apr 29, 2014, at 1:45 PM, Jon Paynter <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Dale Henrichs-3
Jon et.al.,

As we speak I am working on creating an improved site[1] for managing the documentation related to installing and using GLASS.

My first real documentation is being written to cover the upgrade process to GemStone 3.2[2]. I was inspired by Pieter's difficulties in upgrading to 3.1[3] and am providing a driver script to support the upgrade process ...

The article is not finished, and I will announce on this list when I am "finished" ... which should be in a few days.

When it comes to documentation, the job is really never finished so I am hoping that by putting the documentation up on github, that YOU will help to maintain, create and update the documentation over time.

I plan to tag the commits on the site that correspond to articles pertaining to particular releases so that a historical perspective can be maintained while allowing the head of the documentation to reflect the current thinking ...

If you are inspired to help with this project I will be very happy to merge in your pull requests and/or provide developer access directly to this site... starting today ...

Submit issues on the site[4] for suggestions and comments/discussions related to structure of site, etc.

If you find an error in a script or document, please submit a pull request with the fix ...

Even better would be pull requests with DOCUMENTATION of processes and scripts that YOU have found useful and that other folks might benefit from ....

I don't have a master plan for organizing the documentation on the site (I am emphatically not a writer nor a marketeer and survive only with my uncanny ability to ignore the poor quality of my writing and push the documentation out anyway:), so if you are inspired, please, please step in and provide structure.

Dale

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Jon Paynter <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dale,
Thanks for the reply.

I'll try the steps when I get home tonite.  but first some questions:

Ive already run the 'installGemstone.sh'  script on my server.  what are the differences between that and the installWebEdition.sh script on github?
Will I need to uninstall? if so, is there anything I need to do other than removing /opt/gemstone ?
No changes were done, so re-installing wont loose anything.

My end goal is to have seaside 3.x running and be able to see the default 'browse' page

I predict i will have some updates to the docs, but first i want to get the basics working.
But one obvious thing I dont see on the page is how to stop/start the seaside gem processes. -- hopefully this is as simple as copying the scripts I see elsewhere.

Thanks,
Jon.

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 3:29 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

So I did some homework and compared installGemstone.sh and installWebEdition.sh.  The differences are cosmetic.
Except at the end:
echo "source $WE_HOME/bin/defWebEdition"
echo "source /opt/gemstone/product/seaside/defSeaside"

In the zip I downloaded (3.1.0.5) there is no file "defWebEdition" anywhere, but "seaside/defSeaside" exists.

Lastly, the example version 3.2 on the github page doesnt exist, but 3.2.0-EA does (not sure how long until the 'EA' tag goes away)

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 4:11 PM, Jon Paynter <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

For the moment it is the same script, with a different name ...

Will I need to uninstall? if so, is there anything I need to do other than removing /opt/gemstone ?
No changes were done, so re-installing wont loose anything.

No need to uninstall, but if you wanted to, you really only need to remove the directory in /opt/gemstone that contains the bits for the download.... Actually I think the install script is smart enough to know that the bits have already been downloaded and the download/unzip  scripts are automatically skipped...

My end goal is to have seaside 3.x running and be able to see the default 'browse' page

This is one of the holes that I hope to fill with this site, but I think I can cobble something together:)...

Follow the (bare bones) instructions here[1] and you should be able to get rolling .... this is based on loading Seasdie3.1 and using Zinc as your server...

Dale

[...]

Yep, you got ahead of me a bit ... but I did cobble together a load script for 3.1.0.5 ... I made sure that Seaside3.0 and Seaside3.1 both loaded and that the tests passed in GemStone 3.2, but just now I found out that Zinc does not load correctly into GemStone 3.2, so for the short term I say stick with 3.1.0.5 ...

When I finish my upgrade article I will make another pass at getting Zinc to load into 3.2 ... I think that Zinc still may need more work to be fully functional in GemStone so that project will be near the top of my queue:)

Dale

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 5:50 PM, Jon Paynter <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Using your web edition install instructions I was able to get everything up and running -- Thanks!

Now to start porting stuff from VW.........

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 6:24 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

however this object log / debugger isnt working.  every time I click on an error from the object log I get this:

a ImproperOperation occurred (error 2364), The object aGsSocket that has some associated session state has lost that transient state. Examples of classes that use session state are GsSocket and GsFile.

Not sure how to copy the walkback stack to my clipboard to include in this email.  The "copy stack" menu option just brings up an input prompt

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 8:12 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I was able to reproduce this problem (I think ... see attached stack) and the ImproperOperation error is occurring in the process of producing the error continuation called from WAErrorHandler >> saveExceptionContinuation: ....so this looks like a Zinc issue...

BTW, if you look down the stack past WAErrorHandler >> saveExceptionContinuation: (in my case) ... you will see that the actual error is on the stack so you should be able to debug your errors despite the fact that the zinc error is masking the root error ...

there is a `copy stack` menu item in the GemTools debugger ...

Dale

stack.txt (45K) Download Attachment

Re: [GS/SS Beta] Setup a new copy of Glass

Jon Paynter-2
Hrm. the walkback i got was much shorter ... about 10 lines or so.  Starting with #_gsReturnToC at the bottom and the #improperOperation at the top.  Nothing about seaside or WA* visible anywhere
The root cause was a simple DNU in my #renderContentOn: method.

I tried 'copy stack' from the right-click menu in the debugger, but it just opens a prompt window with the first line of the walkback displayed.  Afterwards, the windows clipboard only had the first line of the walkback.

I will try again tonite after work and hopefully provide some screenshots.

Re: [GS/SS Beta] Setup a new copy of Glass

Dale Henrichs-3

When you see the prompt window, use the copy menu item and you will get the whole stack ..

The root cause is a problem with the way that Zinc is managing it's socket connections in GemStone ... the sockets are being linked into persistent state and that's not cool for sockets ... as long as the problem that triggers the zinc issue is on the stack I assume that you can limp along ...

Dale

On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 4:47 PM, Jon Paynter <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hrm. the walkback i got was much shorter ... about 10 lines or so.  Starting with #_gsReturnToC at the bottom and the #improperOperation at the top.  Nothing about seaside or WA* visible anywhere
The root cause was a simple DNU in my #renderContentOn: method.

I tried 'copy stack' from the right-click menu in the debugger, but it just opens a prompt window with the first line of the walkback displayed.  Afterwards, the windows clipboard only had the first line of the walkback.

I will try again tonite after work and hopefully provide some screenshots.

Re: [GS/SS Beta] Setup a new copy of Glass

Jon Paynter-2
Im still missing the mechanics of how to get a full stack dump.  Attached is a screenshot of what I see *after* picking "Copy stack"
Right clicking anywhere on the "information required" window does nothing.  If I just press Control+C to copy whats selected, I get this:
[1] AbstractException >> _signalFromPrimitive: (envId 0)
        handleInCextensionBool: nil
        num: nil
        res: nil
        .t1: nil
        .t2: a ImproperOperation occurred (error 2364), The object aGsSocket that has some associated session state has lost that transient state. Examples of classes that use session state are GsSocket and GsFile.
        receiver: a ImproperOperation occurred (error 2364), The object aGsSocket that has some associated session state has lost that transient state. Examples of classes that use session state are GsSocket and GsFile.
[2] GsSocket >> _write:startingAt:ofSize: (envId 0)
        aByteObject: HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error

Date: Fri, 02 May 2014 02:52:06 GMT

Server: Zinc HTTP Components 1.0

Internal Error: t-Type: image/png
---------------------------------------

now - if the Zinc Adaptor is the issue here, I have no problems using a different one.   So if there is another one that works better, im happy to use that instead.

Thanks,
Jon.

stackdump.jpg (198K) Download Attachment

Re: [GS/SS Beta] Setup a new copy of Glass

Dale Henrichs-3
Jon,

I think the issue with copying the stack from the popup is that the stack contains some null characters (partial Zinc buffer) and in the Unicode world a null character terminates the string, so I assume that when Pharo copies the string into the system copy buffer (converting to Unicode along the way), the string gets truncated.

If you paste into a workspace within Pharo, you should see the "whole thing" ... I hit the same thing and had to manually chop out the big blank chunks before I could paste from Pharo into my mailer ...

-----------

The port of the zinc adapter to GemStone _is_ the issue, but your request was pretty narrow and easily achievable:

    My end goal is to have seaside 3.x running and be able to see the
    default 'browse' page

So I think we met that goal, but obviously your interest lies beyond just seeing the `browse` page:)

For production I still recommend that you go with FastCGI[1] as it has had most of not all of the instabilities hammered out of it long ago.

Here are instructions for installing and setting up lighttpd for GLASS[2] from Miguel Leugim (thanks to the wayback machine[3] ... I'll be pulling that post over to the webEditionHome...).

Swazoo is is more stable than Zinc, but I haven't beat on it nearly as much as FastCGI and there might be gotchas there as well.

I want to bring Zinc[4] up to snuff and make it the number one option, but I have not found the time ... Zinc is (and has been, believe it or not) pretty near the top of my stack, bu twe'll have to see what the future dumps on my plate:)

Dale

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 1:17 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
Jon,

I think the issue with copying the stack from the popup is that the stack contains some null characters (partial Zinc buffer) and in the Unicode world a null character terminates the string, so I assume that when Pharo copies the string into the system copy buffer (converting to Unicode along the way), the string gets truncated.
That makes sense and explains what I was seeing.

The port of the zinc adapter to GemStone _is_ the issue, but your request was pretty narrow and easily achievable:

    My end goal is to have seaside 3.x running and be able to see the
    default 'browse' page

So I think we met that goal, but obviously your interest lies beyond just seeing the `browse` page:)
Yes we met that goal and ive moved beyond it.  I have 2 seaside applications I want to port over.  Porting is in progress, and I expect it will take a while.

Thanks much for the links.  I will give it a whirl and see what happens.

Re: [GS/SS Beta] Setup a new copy of Glass

Dale Henrichs-3
I pulled the webserver docs page from google ofer to webEditionHome and updated with new wayback machine links ... this page is still pretty basic, but it has pointers to lightppd, nginx and apache ...

Just chip away at this stuff bit by bit ...

Dale