[GS/SS Beta] what ports need to be open on a gemstone server for gemtools access?

[GS/SS Beta] what ports need to be open on a gemstone server for gemtools access?

Clayton Cottingham-3
im using iptables to lock down our gemstones servers ports, but im
having issues when trying to connect to gemstone via gemtools

here are the relevant INPUT chain in iptables
-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 50377 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 50378 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 1:65535 -j DROP
-A INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 1:65535 -j DROP

basically this means {this isnt our complete ruleset}.... accept input
on ports 50377 and 50378
drop all incoming port requests

if i drop the forth rule
-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 1:65535 -j DROP
i am able to connect properly, so it seems like there is a needed port
that is being dropped in that rule

is there any other ports that need to be opened up on the gemstone
server to allow gemtools to connect properly?

i googled and looked through docs but couldnt find anything

thanks in advance

Re: [GS/SS Beta] what ports need to be open on a gemstone server for gemtools access?

James Foster
Earlier today I blogged about this subject (http://programminggems.wordpress.com/2010/02/03/gem-startup-process/).

How did you start netldi? If you don't tell netldi to use 50378 as the extra port then it will just use a random port.

Finally, I'm no expert on iptables, but the I have a description of one that works when setting up a Slicehost server at http://programminggems.wordpress.com/2010/01/12/slicehost-2/.

James

On Feb 3, 2010, at 5:43 PM, Clayton Cottingham wrote:

> im using iptables to lock down our gemstones servers ports, but im
> having issues when trying to connect to gemstone via gemtools
>
> here are the relevant INPUT chain in iptables
> -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 50377 -j ACCEPT
> -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 50378 -j ACCEPT
> -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 1:65535 -j DROP
> -A INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 1:65535 -j DROP
>
> basically this means {this isnt our complete ruleset}.... accept input
> on ports 50377 and 50378
> drop all incoming port requests
>

> if i drop the forth rule
> -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 1:65535 -j DROP
> i am able to connect properly, so it seems like there is a needed port
> that is being dropped in that rule
>
> is there any other ports that need to be opened up on the gemstone
> server to allow gemtools to connect properly?
>
> i googled and looked through docs but couldnt find anything
>
> thanks in advance

Re: [GS/SS Beta] what ports need to be open on a gemstone server for gemtools access?

Clayton Cottingham-3
Thanks James

I dont know what the issue was but taking a second look today confirmed
i just needed to set an accept for the 50378 port as well