GS with VW Seaside 3.0

Bob Nemec
Is anyone running a VW 7.7 image with Seaside 3.0 and GemBuilder 7.3?

The Object method...

noModificationErrorFor: selector index: index value: value
^(NoModificationError receiver: self selector: selector index: index value: value) raiseRequest

...is changed to...

noModificationErrorFor: selector index: index value: value
^WriteBarriers.Tracker modified: self selector: selector index: index value: value

...which raises a Core.NoModificationError when logging in.

If I revert the method, I get an exception...

'GBS Error - Client forwarder send (#clientPerformOn:selector:withArguments:) to unknown client object'

We've just started to look into this; don't want to get too deep if it's a known issue (with, hopefully, a simple fix).

Thanks,
Bob Nemec
Cherniak Software

Bob Nemec

Re: GS with VW Seaside 3.0

Martin McClure
On 04/20/10 08:20, Bob N. wrote:
> Is anyone running a VW 7.7 image with Seaside 3.0 and GemBuilder 7.3?
>
> The Object method...
>
> noModificationErrorFor: selector index: index value: value
> ^(NoModificationError receiver: self selector: selector index: index
> value: value) raiseRequest

This is the base method.

> ...is changed to...
>
> noModificationErrorFor: selector index: index value: value
> ^WriteBarriers.Tracker modified: self selector: selector index: index
> value: value

This method is from the WriteBarriers package, which is in preview.
WriteBarriers and GBS cannot currently be used together. If
WriteBarriers comes out of preview in a future version of VW, GBS is
likely to be modified to *require* WriteBarriers.

Regards,

-Martin

Re: GS with VW Seaside 3.0

Dennis smith-4
This is going to be a significant issue for us as we use Gemstone and
Seaside -- not an
unreasonable combination.

If nothing else is available, I guess we will look into it ourselves --
we don't have a lot of
choices

--
Dennis Smith                         +1 416.798.7948
Cherniak Software Development Corporation   Fax: +1 416.798.0948

Re: GS with VW Seaside 3.0

Martin McClure
On 04/20/10 18:20, Dennis Smith wrote:
> This is going to be a significant issue for us as we use Gemstone and
> Seaside -- not an
> unreasonable combination.

Does Seaside 3.0 in VW require the use of WriteBarriers? It doesn't
require anything similar on other platforms.

-Martin

Re: GS with VW Seaside 3.0

Dennis smith-4
We assume so -- that will be something to check first -- its LOADED when you
load the Seaside-3 parcel in VW7.7 -- which is how we got the issue.

--
Dennis Smith                         +1 416.798.7948
Cherniak Software Development Corporation   Fax: +1 416.798.0948
509-2001 Sheppard Avenue East        [hidden email]
Toronto, ON M2J 4Z8              sip:[hidden email]
Canada         http://www.CherniakSoftware.com
Entrance off Yorkland Blvd south of Sheppard Ave east of the DVP

Re: GS with VW Seaside 3.0

Bob Nemec
Re-posted from VWNC list...

It looks like WriteBarries is loaded as prereq for Seaside-Glorp...

Description
Provides class GlorpFilter to automatically associate a database session (Glorp) with a Seaside session, for the duration of the Seaside session. This, combined with the GlorpActiveRecord and WriteBarriers (which are automatically loaded as prerequisites) adds an easy-to-use persistence facility for Seaside applications. To better manage database resources, this package also includes class VWPoolingDatabaseAccessor, which provides support for connection pooling.

Unloading Seaside-Glorp and WriteBarries allows GBS to function.

Bob

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 9:25 PM, Martin McClure <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 04/20/10 18:20, Dennis Smith wrote:
> This is going to be a significant issue for us as we use Gemstone and
> Seaside -- not an
> unreasonable combination.

Does Seaside 3.0 in VW require the use of WriteBarriers? It doesn't
require anything similar on other platforms.

-Martin

Bob Nemec

Re: GS with VW Seaside 3.0

Martin McClure
On 04/21/10 12:44, Bob N. wrote:

> Unloading Seaside-Glorp and WriteBarries allows GBS to function.

Thanks, Bob, that's good to know.

-Martin