GS with VW Seaside 3.0

Bob Nemec
(Cross posting this with the GS forum)

Is anyone running a VW 7.7 image with Seaside 3.0 and GemBuilder 7.3?

The Object method...

noModificationErrorFor: selector index: index value: value
^(NoModificationError receiver: self selector: selector index: index value: value) raiseRequest

...is changed to...

noModificationErrorFor: selector index: index value: value
^WriteBarriers.Tracker modified: self selector: selector index: index value: value

...which raises a Core.NoModificationError when logging in.

If I revert the method, I get an exception...

'GBS Error - Client forwarder send (#clientPerformOn:selector:withArguments:) to unknown client object'

We've just started to look into this; don't want to get too deep if it's a known issue (with, hopefully, a simple fix).

Thanks,
Bob Nemec
Cherniak Software

Bob Nemec

Re: GS with VW Seaside 3.0

Alan Knight-2
That's not in Base VisualWorks, but in the WriteBarriers package. So either you loaded that and it's confusing things, or the more recent versions of GemBuilder are using WriteBarriers. But if they're using it, and it isn't working properly, I don't know what the answer is.

At 08:16 PM 2010-04-20, Bob N. wrote:
[...]

Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk

Re: GS with VW Seaside 3.0

Martin McClure
On 04/20/10 17:55, Alan Knight wrote:
> That's not in Base VisualWorks, but in the WriteBarriers package. So
> either you loaded that and it's confusing things, or the more recent
> versions of GemBuilder are using WriteBarriers. But if they're using it,
> and it isn't working properly, I don't know what the answer is.

GBS is not yet using WriteBarriers, and loading WriteBarriers will
almost certainly break GBS, and vice versa.

Regards,

-Martin

Re: GS with VW Seaside 3.0

Bob Nemec
It looks like WriteBarries is loaded as prereq for Seaside-Glorp...

Description
Provides class GlorpFilter to automatically associate a database session (Glorp) with a Seaside session, for the duration of the Seaside session. This, combined with the GlorpActiveRecord and WriteBarriers (which are automatically loaded as prerequisites) adds an easy-to-use persistence facility for Seaside applications. To better manage database resources, this package also includes class VWPoolingDatabaseAccessor, which provides support for connection pooling.

Unloading Seaside-Glorp and WriteBarries allows GBS to function.

(sent to just Alan initially ... sorry for the spam).