GSOC 2010 results

Torsten Bergmann
While reading about the last GSOC 2010 at:

http://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code-2010-esug/downloads/list

I wonder what happened to the results. Are they just available
to play with them in private.

Or will Pharo/the overall Smalltalk community profit
from them since they can be usefull for the next step.
Therefore especially two questions:

1. Is the Namespace code conceptually the one we want to
   have for Pharo and if so are there any plans to
   integrate it (Pharo 1.3/1.4./... ?)
2. Is the code from Cross-Dialect Smalltalk FFI ready
   or what is the state/strategy for Alien/FFI these days.

Thx
T.

Re: GSOC 2010 results

Stéphane Ducasse

On Mar 18, 2011, at 12:04 AM, Torsten Bergmann wrote:

> While reading about the last GSOC 2010 at:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code-2010-esug/downloads/list
>
> I wonder what happened to the results. Are they just available
> to play with them in private.
>
> Or will Pharo/the overall Smalltalk community profit
> from them since they can be usefull for the next step.
> Therefore especially two questions:
>
> 1. Is the Namespace code conceptually the one we want to
>   have for Pharo and if so are there any plans to
>   integrate it (Pharo 1.3/1.4./... ?)

No

> 2. Is the code from Cross-Dialect Smalltalk FFI ready
>   or what is the state/strategy for Alien/FFI these days.

Yes

> Thx
> T.
>

> --
> GMX DSL Doppel-Flat ab 19,99 Euro/mtl.! Jetzt mit
> gratis Handy-Flat! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl

Re: GSOC 2010 results

Germán Leiva
Hi,

about namespaces, the code is available in http://www.squeaksource.com/Environments/ and you can see a video here with a demonstration.

I attached some documentation about the decisions we made in the project and other stuff.

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 4:13 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mar 18, 2011, at 12:04 AM, Torsten Bergmann wrote:

> While reading about the last GSOC 2010 at:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code-2010-esug/downloads/list
>
> I wonder what happened to the results. Are they just available
> to play with them in private.
>
> Or will Pharo/the overall Smalltalk community profit
> from them since they can be usefull for the next step.
> Therefore especially two questions:
>
> 1. Is the Namespace code conceptually the one we want to
>   have for Pharo and if so are there any plans to
>   integrate it (Pharo 1.3/1.4./... ?)

No

Despite of this I want to resume my work on Environments (the college left me with no time available the last months).

I received some feedback and I want to do a lot of refactors plus, I want to add a RPackage integration and improve the GUI
.

All the feedback about the design, improvements or critics in general are welcome (and needed).

> 2. Is the code from Cross-Dialect Smalltalk FFI ready
>   or what is the state/strategy for Alien/FFI these days.

Yes

> Thx
> T.
>

> --
> GMX DSL Doppel-Flat ab 19,99 Euro/mtl.! Jetzt mit
> gratis Handy-Flat! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl

Cheers

--
Germán Leiva
[hidden email]

User_stories(draft_pre_implementation).pdf (182K) Download Attachment
EnvironmentsAbstract.pdf (377K) Download Attachment

Cheers,
Esteban

Re: GSOC 2010 results

Miguel Cobá
I think the "No" answer is more like "there are no current plans,
because nobody has pushed it" than "the namespaces implementation is
banned from Pharo"

Cheers

--
Miguel Cobá
http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz

Re: GSOC 2010 results

Marcus Denker-4

On Mar 18, 2011, at 5:18 PM, Miguel Cobá wrote:

> I think the "No" answer is more like "there are no current plans,
> because nobody has pushed it" than "the namespaces implementation is
> banned from Pharo"

Or: Namespaces can be done so easily wrong so that oe needs to think very carefully and
there are no braincycles left just now.

At least, that's my view... and I think that the project indeed is very important, as it shows one
solution that we can learn from... and then we can realize something for Pharo after we
are sure we learned enough.

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: GSOC 2010 results

Stéphane Ducasse

How to navigate them?What model?  Because this is not because you have namespace that you do not get name clash.
How to use them in presence of package? What is the impact on tools? What do we want exactly? Do we want selector namespaces?
No need to answer and I have a long list.
I'm thinking about namespaces since we did classboxes and so far the anwser is not easy.
Because I would like to have late bound class name but this may imply to see if we can avoid to have mixin.
So I think that we have more urgent things to do now.
The current need is easily solved by prefixing so let us prefix.
Because what I want is to be able to reuse tests but with another Collection package and so far simple namespaces
do not solve that and the solution I know is far to big and its impacts are big too.
Stef

On Mar 18, 2011, at 5:25 PM, Marcus Denker wrote:

> On Mar 18, 2011, at 5:18 PM, Miguel Cobá wrote:
>
>> I think the "No" answer is more like "there are no current plans,
>> because nobody has pushed it" than "the namespaces implementation is
>> banned from Pharo"
>

> Or: Namespaces can be done so easily wrong so that oe needs to think very carefully and
> there are no braincycles left just now.
>
> At least, that's my view... and I think that the project indeed is very important, as it shows one
> solution that we can learn from... and then we can realize something for Pharo after we
> are sure we learned enough.
>
> Marcus
>

> --
> Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de