GSOC 2016 Application update

SergeStinckwich
Dear all,

just a quick update to GSOC application of Pharo this year

- We have enough topics I guess. I already send a reminder on the
various mailing-list.
List of topics here:
https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-project-proposals/blob/master/Topics.st

We have to generate the html from the topics list and put the result
on the gsoc.pharo,org website. I ask Uko to have a look to this, but I
don't want to loose to much time on this. I was wondering if we should
transform the list as a Markdown document on github just to keep it
simple.

- Finish the 2016 Application and Organization profile on Google
website. The questions are a little bit different from 2015 and we
should complete them.
Please find below the answers to the questions right now.

I add in parenthesis, the number of words of each answers and the
maximum allowed.

Please us to refine our answers. We need to wrote "guidance for students".

Thank you.

Why does your org want to participate in Google Summer of Code? (898/1000)

Supporting open-source projects is one of the most important
objectives of the Pharo community. Participating at GSoC will increase
the visibility of Pharo project efforts, thus favoring interactions
with other communities. We are also interested in providing
interesting projects to students allowing them to learn and have a fun
job for the summer.

We expect also to bring more people into our community. That's very
interesting as the Pharo community is trying to be innovation-driven
and more open minded than the Smalltalk community from which we have
evolved. We want people from other communities to join ours and we are
also interested in what is happening outside and to share experiences
or ideas. Fortunately for us, dynamic languages like Python, Ruby,
among others, enjoy increasing popularity. This is an excellent
opportunity to join, show and learn from and with other communities.

How many potential mentors have agreed to mentor this year?

11-15

How will you keep mentors engaged with their students? (668/1000)

We chose mentors from people who are long time in our community and
have proven to be reliable. Usually we try to match mentors with
projects that are important for themselves. This means that the mentor
has an own interest in the project that the student doing it. Also we
try to ensure that there is a co-mentor for every project who can
replace the main mentor if needed. Also it is very important for us to
keep a good record and expand the community, and in previous years we
even managed to organize our own "summer code" programs for a couple
of students, so in the worst case we will find a replacement from the
core part of the community, or the board itself.

How will you help your students stay on schedule to complete their
projects? (886/1000)

As mentioned before we've already organized our own small "summer
code" programs, as usually we have more interested students than the
fundings that we can spend for them. However we acknowledge that
maintaining student's motivation is very important. We are a very open
and friendly community, and we encourage the students to take part on
the mailing list discussions from the beginning of their projects.
There is a specific pharo-users mailing-list more suitable for
beginners than the pharo-dev mailing-list.
Usually students get feedback and requests from the beginning of their
projects, and they have people interested in the prototypes as soon as
they are ready. From our experience having real users for the project
serves as the best motivation. Also our mentors try to maintain a
constructive and friendly discussion to ensure that the student enjoys
working on the project.

also encourage them to write blogs about their project experience to
both promote themselves and give others an opportunity to familiarize
with the project more and share ideas between students. We are
organizing PharoDays every year (this year in Belgium, website:
http://pharodays2016.pharo.org) and we participate to the ESUG
(European Smalltalk User Group) conference in the end of each summer
and plan to invite the students of the best projects to present there.

Has your org been accepted as a mentoring org in Google Summer of Code before?

Yes

Which years did your org participate in GSoC?

- 2012
- 2010
- 2008
- 2007

What is your success/fail rate per year?

- 2012: 10 projects pass / 3 fail
- 2010: 6 projects pass / 0 fail
- 2008: 5 projects pass / 0 fail
- 2007: 5 projects pass / 0 fail

If your org has applied for GSoC before but not been accepted, select the years:

- 2015
- 2014
- 2013

What year was your project started?

2008

Short description of Pharo (166/180)

Pharo is a pure object-oriented programming language and IDE. We
innovate every part of the development experience to come up with the
best way to work with software.

Long description of Pharo (1401/2000)

Pharo is a pure  object-oriented programming languagea and IDE.
Pharo's goal is to minify the gap between the state of your mind and
the functionality of your application. Whether you are writing code,
debugging it, inspecting an object, hacking the runtime or tweaking
the IDE there should be nothing that stops you from engaging the
action with ease and grace.

We work both on improving Pharo itself and on developing end user
applications in Pharo. Below you will see the highlights of most
prominent Pharo features.

### Simple & powerful language
No constructors, no types declaration, no interfaces, no primitive
types. Yet a powerful and elegant language with a full syntax fitting
in one postcard! Pharo is objects and messages all the way down.

### Feel a live environment
Feel the joy of having immediate feedback at any moment of your
development: Developing, testing, debugging. Even in production
environments, you will never be stuck in compiling and deploying steps
again!

### Amazing debugging experience
The Pharo environment includes a debugger unlike anything you've seen
before. It allows you to step through code, restart the execution of
methods, create methods on the fly, and much more!

### Pharo is yours
Pharo is made by an incredible community, with more than 80
contributors for the last revision of the platform and hundreds of
people contributing constantly with frameworks and libraries.

Guidance for students on how to apply to your organization. Should
include any prerequisites or requirements. You may wish to include a
template or tips for their proposals.

(0/1500)

TBD

-

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: GSOC 2016 Application update

jtuchel
I think the answers to the questions on former years are incorrect. In
recent years, ESUG applied and was either accepted or rejected. This is
the first time the Pharo commuinity applies. Maybe this shoule be made
clear...

Joachim

Am 17.02.16 um 09:27 schrieb Serge Stinckwich:

> [...]
>
> ### Feel a live environment
> Feel the joy of having immediate feedback at any moment of your
> development: Developing, testing, debugging. Even in production
> environments, you will never be stuck in compiling and deploying steps
> again!
>
> ### Amazing debugging experience
> The Pharo environment includes a debugger unlike anything you've seen
> before. It allows you to step through code, restart the execution of
> methods, create methods on the fly, and much more!
>
> ### Pharo is yours
> Pharo is made by an incredible community, with more than 80
> contributors for the last revision of the platform and hundreds of
> people contributing constantly with frameworks and libraries.

> Guidance for students on how to apply to your organization. Should
> include any prerequisites or requirements. You may wish to include a

Objektfabrik Joachim Tuchel          mailto:[hidden email]
Fliederweg 1                         http://www.objektfabrik.de
D-71640 Ludwigsburg                  http://joachimtuchel.wordpress.com
Telefon: +49 7141 56 10 86 0         Fax: +49 7141 56 10 86 1

Re: GSOC 2016 Application update

SergeStinckwich
On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 9:34 AM, [hidden email]
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think the answers to the questions on former years are incorrect. In
> recent years, ESUG applied and was either accepted or rejected. This is the
> first time the Pharo commuinity applies. Maybe this shoule be made clear...

Thank you Joachim. You are right, I will made it more clear.
BTW, Pharo community apply last year.

Am 17.02.16 um 09:48 schrieb Serge Stinckwich:
> On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 9:34 AM, [hidden email]
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I think the answers to the questions on former years are incorrect. In
>> recent years, ESUG applied and was either accepted or rejected. This is the
>> first time the Pharo commuinity applies. Maybe this shoule be made clear...
>
> Thank you Joachim. You are right, I will made it more clear.
> BTW, Pharo community apply last year.

Oh, sorry. Wasn't aware of this...

Objektfabrik Joachim Tuchel          mailto:[hidden email]
Fliederweg 1                         http://www.objektfabrik.de
D-71640 Ludwigsburg                  http://joachimtuchel.wordpress.com
Telefon: +49 7141 56 10 86 0         Fax: +49 7141 56 10 86 1

Re: GSOC 2016 Application update

Martin Bähr
Excerpts from [hidden email]'s message of 2016-02-17 09:34:05 +0100:
> I think the answers to the questions on former years are incorrect. In
> recent years, ESUG applied and was either accepted or rejected. This is
> the first time the Pharo commuinity applies.

pharo applied last year too.

> Maybe this shoule be made clear...

how was this question answered last year?
the feedback from googles feedback session last year was that there were no
issues with the pharo application (there were just to many good organizations
to be accepted)

to explain the relationship to esug, it may be worth mentioning that at least 6
out of the 10 projects from 2012 were pharo projects. (one was VM, one was a
smalltalk tutorial, and two i could not tell from the description)

in 2010 also most projects were pharo based or cross-platform

(for 2007 and 2008 i can't see the list, so i don't know)

http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org2/google/gsoc2012/esug
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org2/google/gsoc2010/esug

another way to look at it would be to count which mentors in previous years
came from pharo.

greetings, martin.

--
eKita                   -   the online platform for your entire academic life
Martin Bähr          working in china        http://societyserver.org/mbaehr/

Re: GSOC 2016 Application update

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 17-02-16 09:27, Serge Stinckwich wrote:
> How will you help your students stay on schedule to complete their
> projects? (886/1000)

I have had excellent experiences with a compressed scrum, using a (near)
daily cycle where the student demos todays code and discusses steps for
the next day.

https://programminggems.wordpress.com/2009/06/19/tutorial-2/

Stephan

Re: GSOC 2016 Application update

Martin Bähr
Excerpts from Stephan Eggermont's message of 2016-02-17 10:30:24 +0100:
> > How will you help your students stay on schedule to complete their
> > projects? (886/1000)
> I have had excellent experiences with a compressed scrum, using a (near)
> daily cycle where the student demos todays code and discusses steps for
> the next day.

i am not very familiar with scrum. it was my understanding that daily standup
is part of a regular scrum. so you make a plan for a week or two, and talk
about the progress every day.

this is what i did with my students last year. in the daily standup every
student reports what they worked on since the standup, and what they plan to
work on next. we did that on irc, so students would write their reports.
after the reports we discuss issues.

one issue i found is, that it gets a little one-sided if there is only one
student (i had two unrelated projects, so one student was alone, but i made her
report in the #pharo channel), so i would suggest to have all students join the
meeting at the same time and place. (slack is probably the best tool for this)

then it's just a matter of finding a good time that fits everyone. maybe two
or three times will be better if pharo gets more than a few students.

however, having everyone join the same meeting helps show everyone how much
others get done, and generally should help foster community.

greetings, martin.

On 17-02-16 11:14, Martin Bähr wrote:

> Excerpts from Stephan Eggermont's message of 2016-02-17 10:30:24 +0100:
>>> How will you help your students stay on schedule to complete their
>>> projects? (886/1000)
>> I have had excellent experiences with a compressed scrum, using a (near)
>> daily cycle where the student demos todays code and discusses steps for
>> the next day.
>
> i am not very familiar with scrum. it was my understanding that daily standup
> is part of a regular scrum. so you make a plan for a week or two, and talk
> about the progress every day.

Yes. I found a scheduling horizon of two weeks way too far, especially
when starting a project. Experiments need to be much smaller, and doing
a daily demo of both successful and unsuccessful experiments helped
uncover failures in mental models quickly.

Stephan

Re: GSOC 2016 Application update

abergel
Thanks Serge! This is a very important effort you are leading

Alexandre

> [...]
>
> ### Feel a live environment
> Feel the joy of having immediate feedback at any moment of your
> development: Developing, testing, debugging. Even in production
> environments, you will never be stuck in compiling and deploying steps
> again!
>
> ### Amazing debugging experience
> The Pharo environment includes a debugger unlike anything you've seen
> before. It allows you to step through code, restart the execution of
> methods, create methods on the fly, and much more!
>
> ### Pharo is yours
> Pharo is made by an incredible community, with more than 80
> contributors for the last revision of the platform and hundreds of
> people contributing constantly with frameworks and libraries.

> Guidance for students on how to apply to your organization. Should
> include any prerequisites or requirements. You may wish to include a

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: GSOC 2016 Application update

Tudor Girba-2
Thanks, indeed!

Doru

> [...]
>> development: Developing, testing, debugging. Even in production
>> environments, you will never be stuck in compiling and deploying steps
>> again!
>>
>> ### Amazing debugging experience
>> The Pharo environment includes a debugger unlike anything you've seen
>> before. It allows you to step through code, restart the execution of
>> methods, create methods on the fly, and much more!
>>
>> ### Pharo is yours
>> Pharo is made by an incredible community, with more than 80
>> contributors for the last revision of the platform and hundreds of
>> people contributing constantly with frameworks and libraries.
>>
>> ==========================================================================
>>
>> Guidance for students on how to apply to your organization. Should
>> include any prerequisites or requirements. You may wish to include a

www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"Some battles are better lost than fought."

Re: GSOC 2016 Application update

SergeStinckwich
Thank you Alex.
Can you have a look to your previous ideas proposal and update them ?

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 2:44 PM, Alexandre Bergel
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> development: Developing, testing, debugging. Even in production
>> environments, you will never be stuck in compiling and deploying steps
>> again!
>>
>> ### Amazing debugging experience
>> The Pharo environment includes a debugger unlike anything you've seen
>> before. It allows you to step through code, restart the execution of
>> methods, create methods on the fly, and much more!
>>
>> ### Pharo is yours
>> Pharo is made by an incredible community, with more than 80
>> contributors for the last revision of the platform and hundreds of
>> people contributing constantly with frameworks and libraries.
>>
>> ==========================================================================
>>
>> Guidance for students on how to apply to your organization. Should
>> include any prerequisites or requirements. You may wish to include a

Hi Serge,

I went through your description. Here are some comments:
"enjoy increasing popularity” => "enjoy an increasing popularity”

"Also it is very important for us to keep a good record and expand the community, and in previous years we even managed to organize our own "summer code" programs for a couple of students, so in the worst case we will find a replacement from the core part of the community, or the board itself.”
=> I would say “Maintaining a strong connection between mentors and students is highly important for the Pharo community. As a mechanism to have a stable relationship between mentors and students, we have organized our own “summer code” programs for a couple of students in case. However, relying on the fundings of our community is unreliable, which is why we are apply to GSOC 2016.”

>>> How will you help your students stay on schedule to complete their
>>> projects? (886/1000)
=> I would structure an answer around:
- ESUG sponsors students to attend the conference to show their result of GSOC. On counterpart, students help organizing the event.
- Our community is friendly and always careful with new and young students. It is part of our culture to assist them (using local programmer gathering)
- We offers a dedicated mailing for less-experienced people. This is the starting point of communication for many students.

>>> We innovate every part of the development experience
=> “Pharo innovates every part of the development experience."

>>> ### Simple & powerful language
>>> No constructors, no types declaration, no interfaces, no primitive
>>> types.
=> I am not sure that everybody who will positively read that Pharo has no constructor, type declaration and interfaces. I would omit this. It does not make the proposal stronger in my opinion.

In the part of what is Pharo, I would mention that Pharo is successfully used in several domain, such as data visualization, web server development, software reengineering activities, biological analysis, <insert more here>. This is more concrete I think.

The url of pharo is not given?

Go go go!
Alexandre

> [...]
>>>
>>> ==========================================================================
>>>
>>> Guidance for students on how to apply to your organization. Should
>>> include any prerequisites or requirements. You may wish to include a
>>> template or tips for their proposals.
>>>
>>> (0/1500)
>>>
>>> TBD
>>>
>>> ==========================================================================
>>>
>>> -
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> --
>>> Serge Stinckwich
>>> UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
>>> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
>>> http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/
>>>

>> --
>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

Peter Kenny
Alexandre

I would strongly disagree with your first proposed change. In my understanding (English is my native language), 'popularity' is a mass noun, not countable, hence the 'an' is incorrect. Wiktionary, based on an ancient edition of Webster, allows the possibility of countable use, but the only example it quotes is archaic. At the very least, there is nothing wrong with the original version.

Peter Kenny

> [...]

>>> ======
>>>
>>> Guidance for students on how to apply to your organization. Should
>>> include any prerequisites or requirements. You may wish to include a
>>> template or tips for their proposals.
>>>
>>> (0/1500)
>>>
>>> TBD
>>>
>>> ====================================================================
>>> ======
>>>
>>> -
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> --
>>> Serge Stinckwich
>>> UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
>>> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
>>> http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/
>>>

>> --
>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

Thanks to the amazing works of Peter and Uko,
we have always an updated gsoc web page here: http://gsoc.pharo.org/
everytime you will edit the gsoc ideas topics list :
https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-project-proposals/blob/master/Topics.st

The html web page is automatically generated, tested and updated
thanks to a Travis job:
https://travis-ci.org/pharo-project/pharo-project-proposals

Thank you guys !

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 9:27 AM, Serge Stinckwich
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> ### Feel a live environment
> Feel the joy of having immediate feedback at any moment of your
> development: Developing, testing, debugging. Even in production
> environments, you will never be stuck in compiling and deploying steps
> again!
>
> ### Amazing debugging experience
> The Pharo environment includes a debugger unlike anything you've seen
> before. It allows you to step through code, restart the execution of
> methods, create methods on the fly, and much more!
>
> ### Pharo is yours
> Pharo is made by an incredible community, with more than 80
> contributors for the last revision of the platform and hundreds of
> people contributing constantly with frameworks and libraries.

> Guidance for students on how to apply to your organization. Should
> include any prerequisites or requirements. You may wish to include a

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 18 Feb 2016, at 08:43, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks to the amazing works of Peter and Uko,
> we have always an updated gsoc web page here: http://gsoc.pharo.org/
> everytime you will edit the gsoc ideas topics list :
> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-project-proposals/blob/master/Topics.st
>
> The html web page is automatically generated, tested and updated
> thanks to a Travis job:
> https://travis-ci.org/pharo-project/pharo-project-proposals
>
> Thank you guys !

+1000 Beautiful teamwork !

> [...]
>> development: Developing, testing, debugging. Even in production
>> environments, you will never be stuck in compiling and deploying steps
>> again!
>>
>> ### Amazing debugging experience
>> The Pharo environment includes a debugger unlike anything you've seen
>> before. It allows you to step through code, restart the execution of
>> methods, create methods on the fly, and much more!
>>
>> ### Pharo is yours
>> Pharo is made by an incredible community, with more than 80
>> contributors for the last revision of the platform and hundreds of
>> people contributing constantly with frameworks and libraries.
>>
>> ==========================================================================
>>
>> Guidance for students on how to apply to your organization. Should
>> include any prerequisites or requirements. You may wish to include a

Ups… Thanks Peter! My mistake!

Alexandre

> On Feb 17, 2016, at 8:07 PM, PBKResearch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Alexandre
>
> I would strongly disagree with your first proposed change. In my understanding (English is my native language), 'popularity' is a mass noun, not countable, hence the 'an' is incorrect. Wiktionary, based on an ancient edition of Webster, allows the possibility of countable use, but the only example it quotes is archaic. At the very least, there is nothing wrong with the original version.
>
> Peter Kenny

stepharo
+1