GSoC 2015

Uko2
Hi,

do we apply for Google Summer of Code this year?

Uko

Re: GSoC 2015

stephane ducasse-2
Yes it would be good and important. Now we can use their tools.

Stef
On 31 Jan 2015, at 13:11, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> do we apply for Google Summer of Code this year?
>
> Uko

Re: GSoC 2015

Alexandre Bergel-5
Who will be in charge of this?
Paolo?

Alexandre

> Le 31 janv. 2015 à 11:12, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Yes it would be good and important. Now we can use their tools.
>
> Stef
>> On 31 Jan 2015, at 13:11, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> do we apply for Google Summer of Code this year?
>>
>> Uko

Re: GSoC 2015

stephane ducasse-2
Hello Yuriy and dear Smalltalkers.

What do we do for the GSOC. Since last year ESUG was not accepted we are wondering if this is worth to do an ESUG
submission. Now the pharo board discussed and would like to apply because we feel that this is important to have
a smalltalk presence at GSOC. So let us know what you think but fast.

> do we apply for Google Summer of Code this year?
>
> Uko

Re: GSoC 2015

Stephan Eggermont-3
I'm all in favor of submitting.

Stephan Eggermont

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

> Op 9 feb. 2015 om 19:26 heeft stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>
> Hello Yuriy and dear Smalltalkers.
>
> What do we do for the GSOC. Since last year ESUG was not accepted we are wondering if this is worth to do an ESUG
> submission. Now the pharo board discussed and would like to apply because we feel that this is important to have
> a smalltalk presence at GSOC. So let us know what you think but fast.
>
> Stef
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> do we apply for Google Summer of Code this year?
>>
>> Uko

Re: GSoC 2015

SergeStinckwich
I'm in favor of a Pharo submission.
Who could manage that ?
Regards

Sent from my iPhone

> On 9 févr. 2015, at 19:32, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm all in favor of submitting.
>
> Stephan Eggermont
>
> Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone
>
>> Op 9 feb. 2015 om 19:26 heeft stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>>
>> Hello Yuriy and dear Smalltalkers.
>>
>> What do we do for the GSOC. Since last year ESUG was not accepted we are wondering if this is worth to do an ESUG
>> submission. Now the pharo board discussed and would like to apply because we feel that this is important to have
>> a smalltalk presence at GSOC. So let us know what you think but fast.
>>
>> Stef
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> do we apply for Google Summer of Code this year?
>>>
>>> Uko

Re: GSoC 2015

Ben Coman
stephane ducasse-4 wrote
> Hi,
>
> do we apply for Google Summer of Code this year?
>
> Uko

Hello Yuriy and dear Smalltalkers.

What do we do for the GSOC. Since last year ESUG was not accepted we are wondering if this is worth to do an ESUG submission. Now the pharo board discussed and would like to apply because we feel that this is important to have a smalltalk presence at GSOC. So let us know what you think but fast.

Stef
Hi Stef,

I would favour a Pharo-GSOC on this grounds...
* ESUG is a broad church, but the 2013 mentors voted mostly for Pharo based projects.
* A perception of bias lead to an overly-independent, almost separatist ESUG-GSoC with a murky governance structure, resulting in some conflict.
* A Pharo-GSoC would eliminate any perception or conflict regarding bias against other Smalltalk dialects.
* A Pharo-GSoC separates from prior conflict on the governance of ESUG-GSoC.
* I would expect tighter governance would be possible, such that the GSoC-Admins apply to, are appointed by and report to the Pharo Board.
* The Pharo Consortium has several member Universities, from whence come the students participants, which may be attractive to Google - and also attractive to those Universities.

cheers -ben

Re: GSoC 2015

jgfoster
I’d like to hear a bit more discussion about the choice of a sponsoring organization. I realize that there is an overlap between the ESUG leadership and the Pharo leadership, but I preferred it when there was at least some effort made to have the scope be all of Smalltalk.

James

> On Feb 9, 2015, at 10:26 AM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Yuriy and dear Smalltalkers.
>
> What do we do for the GSOC. Since last year ESUG was not accepted we are wondering if this is worth to do an ESUG
> submission. Now the pharo board discussed and would like to apply because we feel that this is important to have
> a smalltalk presence at GSOC. So let us know what you think but fast.
>
> Stef
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> do we apply for Google Summer of Code this year?
>>
>> Uko

Re: GSoC 2015

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi james

I’d like to hear a bit more discussion about the choice of a sponsoring organization. I realize that there is an overlap between the ESUG leadership and the Pharo leadership, but I preferred it when there was at least some effort made to have the scope be all of Smalltalk.

I would have prefered a ESUG proposal especially since most of the projects are pharo ones :) and like that nobody can say that
we are evil, nasty….;)
But Yuriy met a GSOC woman at Fosdem and she said that we should show that there is some energy, momemtum, activities, ….
So it is probably good to take the risk to get a pharo proposal to avoid the “should we fund a ‘cobol' Summer of Code”? (you know Smalltalk
the language from the 80… what 35 five ago :)
Since ESUG got rejected last year - even though we got nice projects, these two factors make a Pharo submission probably better.

Stef

James

On Feb 9, 2015, at 10:26 AM, stephane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Yuriy and dear Smalltalkers.

What do we do for the GSOC. Since last year ESUG was not accepted we are wondering if this is worth to do an ESUG
submission. Now the pharo board discussed and would like to apply because we feel that this is important to have
a smalltalk presence at GSOC. So let us know what you think but fast.

do we apply for Google Summer of Code this year?

Uko

03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Julie Jonas
03 59 57 78 50
03 59 35 86 16

S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

Re: GSoC 2015

Stéphane Ducasse
BTW: let me be really clear about this GSOC 2015 stuff.

- I do not want to hear about GSOC.
- I do not want to get insulted as in the past.
- I updated the pharo topics available in the github repo
and I will not do anything else.

I have set up a filter that trashes automatically any email about GSOC.

I hope that I’m clear about it and you do not imagine how I got impacted in the past
so I learned my own lesson: NEVER AGAIN.

Stef

On 11 Feb 2015, at 18:18, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi james

[...]

Hi James & Stef,

James wrote:
 >I’d like to hear a bit more discussion about the choice of a
sponsoring organization. I realize that there is an >overlap between the
ESUG leadership and the Pharo leadership, but I preferred it when there
was at least some >effort made to have the scope be all of Smalltalk.

I would prefer Esug to be the sponsoring organization.

 >Since ESUG got rejected last year - even though we got nice projects,
 >these two factors make a Pharo submission probably better.

We are not unique in getting rejected every few years. Ruby on Rails
didn't get selected in 2012.
There are many more requests than available slots.

Last year, Janko ruined our chances of getting selected. GSoC is supposed
to be good for Google's image. Having a loose cannon as organizer is
unacceptable, and something we couldn't solve in time.

Stephan

Re: GSoC 2015

jtuchel
James,

I admit that I also had this thought when I read the thread so far. Smalltalk is much more than Pharo and it would be good to see mor cross-dialect work.

E.g. filetree and cypress would be great candidates.

Otoh, if you look at the last few years when ESUG was accepted, you see mostly Pharo-related projects. One of the reasons may be that this community had most available mentors.

I'd also prefer if ESUG applied, and I'd like to see more cross-dialect work that is of benefit for a broader community. But if we don't step up and propose projects and volunteer to mentor, then it cannot happen, even if it's ESUG that mainly proposes Pharo projects.

Here are some project ideas:

# coding guidelines for cross-dialect projects and tool support (think slime, rewrite tools etc.)
# st-hub integration into more dialects (bi-directional)
# cypress implementations for vw, vast, squeak, Dolphin, gst and others
# Improvements for jntegrating Seaside with front-end javascript

But: who has the time and knowledge to mentor?

In last years discussion for project ideas I was told by a mentor that they're not interested in  cross-dialect as a design goal and they concentrate on Pharo first, in order to get at least something done. This is a sensible argument, no matter if I like it.

So what can we do a bout it?

Joachim