GSoC 2017 Introduction

Myroslava Romaniuk
Hello everyone

I have been accepted as a GSoC student and my project is Advancing in Pharo Quality Support. Here's the link to my proposal, if you have any suggestions feel free to comment or send me an email, I would really appreciate some feedback. Here are also links to my github and linkedin.

In short, my project consists of several subprojects:
  • updating rules (improving hints, moving the rules to corresponding packages)
  • advanced rule toggle (a functionality to enable/disable rules from Pharo settings, a shortcut to ban a rule globally)
  • smart error handling (display errors that occured during critique computation along the actual critiques)
  • match-rewrite tool (combines features of matchtool and rewritetool, improves the process of inspecting, creating, editing and removing rules)
  • pre-commit quality feedback (an extension to either monticello or iceberg that will show modified parts of a project and critiques related to them --- if I have time)
  • making rules more maintainable while reporting encountered bugs
Thanks very much for this amazing opportunity to be working with all of you, and for the help you're providing us, GSoC students, with - on Discord and in the mailing list.

Looking forward to the amazing summer with the Pharo community!

-- Myroslava

Re: GSoC 2017 Introduction

Ben Coman
Welcome Myro,
Good to see you getting involved early in the process.
I understand you bumped into Pharo at your university, but there seems
no great Pharo presence there.
I'd be interested to hear a bit more about how you discovered Pharo.

cheers -ben

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 4:58 AM, Myroslava Romaniuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone
>
> I have been accepted as a GSoC student and my project is Advancing in Pharo
> Quality Support. Here's the link to my proposal, if you have any suggestions
> feel free to comment or send me an email, I would really appreciate some
> feedback. Here are also links to my github and linkedin.
>
> In short, my project consists of several subprojects:
>
> updating rules (improving hints, moving the rules to corresponding packages)
> advanced rule toggle (a functionality to enable/disable rules from Pharo
> settings, a shortcut to ban a rule globally)
> smart error handling (display errors that occured during critique
> computation along the actual critiques)
> match-rewrite tool (combines features of matchtool and rewritetool, improves
> the process of inspecting, creating, editing and removing rules)
> pre-commit quality feedback (an extension to either monticello or iceberg
> that will show modified parts of a project and critiques related to them ---
> if I have time)
> making rules more maintainable while reporting encountered bugs
>
> Thanks very much for this amazing opportunity to be working with all of you,
> and for the help you're providing us, GSoC students, with - on Discord and
> in the mailing list.
>
> Looking forward to the amazing summer with the Pharo community!
>
> -- Myroslava

Re: GSoC 2017 Introduction

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hello myroslava

I'm happy for you and this is great for the community.

Stef

@Ben: I gave lectures to oleks and myroslava when I was at UCU during the fall.

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 5:34 PM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Welcome Myro,
Good to see you getting involved early in the process.
I understand you bumped into Pharo at your university, but there seems
no great Pharo presence there.
I'd be interested to hear a bit more about how you discovered Pharo.

cheers -ben

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 4:58 AM, Myroslava Romaniuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello everyone
>
> I have been accepted as a GSoC student and my project is Advancing in Pharo
> Quality Support. Here's the link to my proposal, if you have any suggestions
> feel free to comment or send me an email, I would really appreciate some
> feedback. Here are also links to my github and linkedin.
>
> In short, my project consists of several subprojects:
>
> updating rules (improving hints, moving the rules to corresponding packages)
> advanced rule toggle (a functionality to enable/disable rules from Pharo
> settings, a shortcut to ban a rule globally)
> smart error handling (display errors that occured during critique
> computation along the actual critiques)
> match-rewrite tool (combines features of matchtool and rewritetool, improves
> the process of inspecting, creating, editing and removing rules)
> pre-commit quality feedback (an extension to either monticello or iceberg
> that will show modified parts of a project and critiques related to them ---
> if I have time)
> making rules more maintainable while reporting encountered bugs
>
> Thanks very much for this amazing opportunity to be working with all of you,
> and for the help you're providing us, GSoC students, with - on Discord and
> in the mailing list.
>
> Looking forward to the amazing summer with the Pharo community!
>
> -- Myroslava

Re: GSoC 2017 Introduction

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hello everyone

I have been accepted as a GSoC student and my project is Advancing in Pharo Quality Support. Here's the link to my proposal, if you have any suggestions feel free to comment or send me an email, I would really appreciate some feedback. Here are also links to my github and linkedin.

In short, my project consists of several subprojects:
  • updating rules (improving hints, moving the rules to corresponding packages)

I would love to see more rules with automatic correction.
Indeed repackageing some of them is a good idea.

  • advanced rule toggle (a functionality to enable/disable rules from Pharo settings, a shortcut to ban a rule globally)
I think that we should remove the thiumb up/down because nobody uses them.

  • smart error handling (display errors that occured during critique computation along the actual critiques)
With guille we are working to get a real class definition object (AST) so that smart suggestions and other suggestions get easier to express (and many other good properties).

  • match-rewrite tool (combines features of matchtool and rewritetool, improves the process of inspecting, creating, editing and removing rules)
YES YES YES.
It would be great if you can also agregate the tool of mark Rizun.

BTW you should read the presentation of Jason Lecerf at pharodays because he will document the unification algorithm used by the rewrite rule engine and it may help you (at least it should help me).

  • pre-commit quality feedback (an extension to either monticello or iceberg that will show modified parts of a project and critiques related to them --- if I have time)
I did not get this one.

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 10:58 PM, Myroslava Romaniuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

-- Myroslava

Re: GSoC 2017 Introduction

Mark Rizun

  • match-rewrite tool (combines features of matchtool and rewritetool, improves the process of inspecting, creating, editing and removing rules)
YES YES YES.
It would be great if you can also agregate the tool of mark Rizun.

Hi Myroslava,

I would be glad to help in case you have any questions concerning rewrite tool (or anything else).

Cheers,
Mark

Re: GSoC 2017 Introduction

Uko2

On 10 May 2017, at 22:15, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

I think that we should remove the thiumb up/down because nobody uses them.

Damn, I forgot to do that… It would be nice to replace it with other stuff, but yes, it won’t make much sense especially when I stop looking at that.

Re: GSoC 2017 Introduction

Myroslava Romaniuk
Ben: thanks! Yeah Stef came to my uni to give lectures to Masters students and also a few workshops open for everyone, and I decided to go and see what it was, and I was immediately interested. Plus later Yuriy also came to give a few lectures and we got talking about what I could for Pharo, etc...and well, now I'm here working on this project :)

Stef: very grateful that you introduced me to Pharo, and thanks for your suggestions! Re: pre-commit quality feedback --- have a look at the alternative final subproject section in my proposal, there it's explained in more detail. I will only do that if I have extra time though.

Mark: hey cheers, I'll definitely let you know if I have any questions. For now, is there some documentation / tutorials at hand that I could have a look at to have a better understanding of the tool?

З повагою,
Мирослава Романюк.

Re: GSoC 2017 Introduction

Mark Rizun

Mark: hey cheers, I'll definitely let you know if I have any questions. For now, is there some documentation / tutorials at hand that I could have a look at to have a better understanding of the tool?

There are four things that I could think of:

1. Paper that explains the tool in quite straightforward way (find pdf atached).
2. PharoInProgress book chapter - the documentation with examples and some details of the implementation (note, some places may be not up to date). It is written using Pillar, so you have to compile it in order to get the pdf.
4. There is also a short video tutorial.

When you work on the match-rewrite tool, please let me know if you need any assistance.

Code Transformation by Direct Transformation of ASTs.pdf (550K) Download Attachment