GSoC news: 13 stipendiums!

Janko Mivšek
Dear Smalltalkers,

Wonderful news, we got 13 "slots" from Google, that is, 13 students and
their proposals will be accepted for Google and they will receive
stipendiums if they will do their projects right. More exactly, part of
4500 USD immediately, part after interim evaluation and part at
successful finish of their projects.

We have currently 18 paired projects, that is, projects paired with one
student among their many proposals. You can see that from project table,
see which are currently accepted (column Acc.):

        http://gsoc2012.esug.org/projects?view=projectTable

Now mentors need to review and score those 18 project proposals to
indicate which are the best among all that nice proposals and to come
with number down to 13. This will happen until next Friday 20.April,
when we will finally decide, which 13 students to accept. Google will
then officially confirm them in few days after.

Best regards
Janko & Carla

--
Smalltalk GSoC Admin Team
http://gsoc2012.esug.org

Re: [squeak-dev] GSoC news: 13 stipendiums!

Mariano Martinez Peck
WOW
WOOOOOW

WTF!!!  13??????????

Guys...I will admit it. I though we were not going to be selected again. First, we were selected. Then I though we were going to have 5 slots. And now you told me we have 13?? AMAZING.

Looks like Janko, Carla and all students and mentors have been doing a great job.

Thank you all.

2012/4/12 Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>
[...]

http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Bernat Romagosa.

Re: [Help-smalltalk] GSoC news: 13 stipendiums!

Hannes Hirzel
For example I'd like

http://gsoc2012.esug.org/projects/excel-export
and
http://gsoc2012.esug.org/projects/epub

both favor communication with the outside world....

--Hannes

On 4/12/12, Bernat Romagosa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Great! But, how do we vote? :)
>
> 2012/4/12 Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>
>
>> Dear Smalltalkers,
>>
>> Wonderful news, we got 13 "slots" from Google, that is, 13 students and
>> their proposals will be accepted for Google and they will receive
>> stipendiums if they will do their projects right. More exactly, part of
>> 4500 USD immediately, part after interim evaluation and part at
>> successful finish of their projects.
>>
>> We have currently 18 paired projects, that is, projects paired with one
>> student among their many proposals. You can see that from project table,
>> see which are currently accepted (column Acc.):
>>
>>        http://gsoc2012.esug.org/projects?view=projectTable
>>
>> Now mentors need to review and score those 18 project proposals to
>> indicate which are the best among all that nice proposals and to come
>> with number down to 13. This will happen until next Friday 20.April,
>> when we will finally decide, which 13 students to accept. Google will
>> then officially confirm them in few days after.
>>
>> Best regards
>> Janko & Carla
>>
>> --
>> Smalltalk GSoC Admin Team
>> http://gsoc2012.esug.org

> Bernat Romagosa.

Re: GSoC news: 13 stipendiums!

Janko Mivšek
Dne 12. 04. 2012 10:45, piše Bernat Romagosa:
> Great! But, how do we vote? :)

Mentors vote and mentors should be subscribed on special Smalltalk GSoC
mentors mailing list already :) There we discuss about all details.

That is, vote can mentors and second mentors of all projects listed on

--
Janko Mivšek
Svetovalec za informatiko
gsm: 031 674 565

Re: [squeak-dev] GSoC news: 13 stipendiums!

Yes excellent!
I think that this is due to the work of janko over the years!
So lot of cool students will benefit of that. Great news.

Stef

> WOW
> WOOOOOW
>
> WTF!!!  13??????????
>
> Guys...I will admit it. I though we were not going to be selected again. First, we were selected. Then I though we were going to have 5 slots. And now you told me we have 13?? AMAZING.
>
> Looks like Janko, Carla and all students and mentors have been doing a great job.
>
> Thank you all.
>
> 2012/4/12 Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>
> Dear Smalltalkers,
>
> Wonderful news, we got 13 "slots" from Google, that is, 13 students and
> their proposals will be accepted for Google and they will receive
> stipendiums if they will do their projects right. More exactly, part of
> 4500 USD immediately, part after interim evaluation and part at
> successful finish of their projects.
>
> We have currently 18 paired projects, that is, projects paired with one
> student among their many proposals. You can see that from project table,
> see which are currently accepted (column Acc.):
>
>        http://gsoc2012.esug.org/projects?view=projectTable
>
> Now mentors need to review and score those 18 project proposals to
> indicate which are the best among all that nice proposals and to come
> with number down to 13. This will happen until next Friday 20.April,
> when we will finally decide, which 13 students to accept. Google will
> then officially confirm them in few days after.
>
> Best regards
> Janko & Carla
>
> --
> Smalltalk GSoC Admin Team
> http://gsoc2012.esug.org
>

> --
> Mariano
> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: [squeak-dev] GSoC news: 13 stipendiums!

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Mariano Martinez Peck wrote
WOW
WOOOOOW

WTF!!!  13??????????
The disappointment of last year has been thoroughly erased. Great job!!! Thank you for all your hard work :)

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: [Help-smalltalk] GSoC news: 13 stipendiums!

Yanni Chiu
On 12/04/12 5:18 AM, H. Hirzel wrote:
> For example I'd like
>
> http://gsoc2012.esug.org/projects/epub

In case you missed it, the GSoC proposal prompted me to push out the
code I had for EPUB on Pier2. It's not yet in Pier3. It could use some
re-factoring, there are test cases, it would be nice to have CSS added.

It's not an add-on because it seemed the natural location was to put it
beside the LaTeX, PDF, ZIP views for Books. So, you should find an EPUB
view, if you try the latest Pier2. Please post bug reports, and I will
fix. Or, go ahead and enhance it, because I did just enough work to get
an EPUB view.

Re: [Help-smalltalk] GSoC news: 13 stipendiums!

Hannes Hirzel
Thank you Yanni for this, so where do I find the code?

--Hannes

On 12/04/12 11:31 AM, H. Hirzel wrote:
> Thank you Yanni for this, so where do I find the code?

[The site is unreachable for me at the moment, so I don't have the exact
link below].

It's in the Pier-Book and Pier-Tests-Book packages for Pier2 at:
   http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/

See the class category "Pier-Book-EPUB".

The latest Pier2 build would include it too:
   http://jenkins.lukas-renggli.ch/

On Apr 12, 2012, at 11:18 AM, H. Hirzel wrote:

> For example I'd like
>
> http://gsoc2012.esug.org/projects/excel-export

why excel export takes more than a couple of hours?
Tab separated format?

> and
> http://gsoc2012.esug.org/projects/epub
>
> both favor communication with the outside world....
>
> --Hannes
>
> On 4/12/12, Bernat Romagosa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Great! But, how do we vote? :)
>>
>> 2012/4/12 Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> Dear Smalltalkers,
>>>
>>> Wonderful news, we got 13 "slots" from Google, that is, 13 students and
>>> their proposals will be accepted for Google and they will receive
>>> stipendiums if they will do their projects right. More exactly, part of
>>> 4500 USD immediately, part after interim evaluation and part at
>>> successful finish of their projects.
>>>
>>> We have currently 18 paired projects, that is, projects paired with one
>>> student among their many proposals. You can see that from project table,
>>> see which are currently accepted (column Acc.):
>>>
>>>       http://gsoc2012.esug.org/projects?view=projectTable
>>>
>>> Now mentors need to review and score those 18 project proposals to
>>> indicate which are the best among all that nice proposals and to come
>>> with number down to 13. This will happen until next Friday 20.April,
>>> when we will finally decide, which 13 students to accept. Google will
>>> then officially confirm them in few days after.
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>> Janko & Carla
>>>
>>> --
>>> Smalltalk GSoC Admin Team
>>> http://gsoc2012.esug.org

>> --
>> Bernat Romagosa.

Re: [Help-smalltalk] GSoC news: 13 stipendiums!

Carla F. Griggio
Hi Stef,
We're not interested just in tab separated format, you're right about that, it's not a lot of work and it's already done (CSV).
Yuriy and Saurav have been writing comments on the proposal and answering your question.

Cheers!
Carla.