GSoC13: Google Summer of Code started, your ideas please!

GSoC13: Google Summer of Code started, your ideas please!

Janko Mivšek
Dear Smalltalkers,

Time for your cool project ideas on this year Smalltalk GSoC!

For now just express any idea you have here on the mailing list. Later
we will together develop it to be in complete format together with two
mentors needed. Deadline is end of Mart, so we have three weeks of time.
To see how fully developed ideas look like please look at 2012 ones at:
http://gsoc2012.esug.org/ideas.

Note also that students yourselves can propose a GSoC project. So if you
like to be a student on this year GSoC and have a nice idea, don't be
shy and propose it here! The community will listen you and guide to the
really nicely proposed project. Last year 6 student proposed projects
were accepted and finished successfully!

For the community, start looking around for students. Think about how to
approach the universities near by you, do you know who to contact
there, etc.

We are namely preparing an application to this year Smalltalk Google
Summer of Code under ESUG umbrella, as last year. If accepted, Google
will pay few stipendiums to students on our Smalltalk projects.

More on our special Smalltalk GSoC 2013 website:

        http://gsoc2013.esug.org

I'm specially inviting mentors of all past GSoCs to rejoin the mentors
mailing list, where we discuss all details about this year GSoC:

        http://groups.google.com/group/smalltalk-gsoc-mentors

While students interested on GSoC please join a special Smalltalk GSoC
mailing list for you:

        http://groups.google.com/group/smalltalk-gsoc-students

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: [squeak-dev] GSoC13: Google Summer of Code started, your ideas please!

stephane ducasse
Hi janko

How do you want to proceed for the topics?
I have a list of topics now where do we write them.

        - tool support rewrite rules
        - new generation debugger
        - new change model and session manager (with martin dias)
        - improving roassal (with alexandre bergel et vanessa pena)
        - improving eyesee (with alexandre bergel et vanessa pena)
        - support touch event
        - UIPainter (with esteban lorenzano)
        - New widgets

Stef

> Dear Smalltalkers,
>
> Time for your cool project ideas on this year Smalltalk GSoC!
>
> For now just express any idea you have here on the mailing list. Later
> we will together develop it to be in complete format together with two
> mentors needed. Deadline is end of Mart, so we have three weeks of time.
> To see how fully developed ideas look like please look at 2012 ones at:
> http://gsoc2012.esug.org/ideas.
>
> Note also that students yourselves can propose a GSoC project. So if you
> like to be a student on this year GSoC and have a nice idea, don't be
> shy and propose it here! The community will listen you and guide to the
> really nicely proposed project. Last year 6 student proposed projects
> were accepted and finished successfully!
>
> For the community, start looking around for students. Think about how to
> approach the universities near by you, do you know who to contact
> there, etc.
>
> We are namely preparing an application to this year Smalltalk Google
> Summer of Code under ESUG umbrella, as last year. If accepted, Google
> will pay few stipendiums to students on our Smalltalk projects.
>
> More on our special Smalltalk GSoC 2013 website:
>
> http://gsoc2013.esug.org
>
> I'm specially inviting mentors of all past GSoCs to rejoin the mentors
> mailing list, where we discuss all details about this year GSoC:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/smalltalk-gsoc-mentors
>
> While students interested on GSoC please join a special Smalltalk GSoC
> mailing list for you:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/smalltalk-gsoc-students
>
> Best regards
> Janko
>

> --
> Janko Mivšek
> Aida/Web
> Smalltalk Web Application Server
> http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: [squeak-dev] GSoC13: Google Summer of Code started, your ideas please!

Janko Mivšek
Hi Stef,

Post on the mailing list for each project idea by following this template:

  Level: (beginner, intermediate, advanced)

  Possible mentor:

  Possible second mentor:

  Description

  Technical Details

  Benefits to the Student

  Benefits to the Community

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: [squeak-dev] GSoC13: Google Summer of Code started, your ideas please!

UIPainter

 Level: advanced

 Possible mentor: Stéphane Ducasse

 Possible second mentor: Esteban Lorenzano

This interface should be extendable, as well as the widget proposed. The Painter should also propose a simple way
to link widgets together, and to locally redefine behaviours.

 Technical Details: using Spec, the UIPainter should be able to generate the needed methods (and Layouts).
The UI corresponding class could also be generated.

 Benefits to the Student: A deep understanding of UI creation. A good set of knowledges about widgets interactions.
The students will also benefits of an understanding of Spec at all the levels.

 Benefits to the Community: The community will benefit of a new tool for generating UIs easily using the new platform independent UI framework.
A UIPainter will help developers by improving the widgets reuse and simply the process of UI creation.

Spec platform/framework Independence

 Level: intermediate

 Possible mentor: Stéphane Ducasse

 Possible second mentor: Nicolas Petton

Indeed, one of Spec goals is to generate widgets on multiple UI rendering framework (Morphic, Seaside, etc).
The student could improve Spec by providing a set of widgets for multiple framework, and ensure the usability of Spec in different Smalltalk dialect.

 Technical Details: Currently running only in Pharo, Spec should be able to be used easily on Squeak.
One interesting target is to be able to use it in Amber by example.

 Benefits to the Student: the student will acquire knowledge and experience about different Smalltalk implementation.
He will also experience different UI framework, and trough Spec how widgets interact with each others.

 Benefits to the Community: The community will benefit of the coolness of Spec, and will also have a single way to define UIs
regardless of the framework used to render them.

Nautilus In Spec

 Level: intermediate

 Possible mentor: Stéphane Ducasse

 Possible second mentor: Benjamin Van Ryseghem

 Description: Nautilus is the new default browser for Pharo3.0. But because the UI is fully platform dependent, it can not be used in other dialects (contrary to OB by example).
The goal is to migrate the entire Nautilus UI to a Spec based version, ti be able to export Nautilus.

 Technical Details: Currently Nautilus is fully written using Morphic (and even have its own morphic widgets). The idea is to redefine the existing UI using Spec, rethink the way interaction between sub widget is done,
and provide a way to statically describe Nautilus UI.

 Benefits to the Student: the student will acquire knowledge about Morphic. He will also learn how Spec is working and its mechanisms for event propagation as well as widget static description.
He will also learn how to define new Spec widgets and how to link them to already existing Morphic widgets.

 Benefits to the Community: The community will benefit of a more modular UI for Nautilus (since every one can then specify its one Nautilus UI), as well as a browser which may be
used in different dialects.

Re: [squeak-dev] GSoC13: Google Summer of Code started, your ideas please!

Janko

I sent some topics now I think that it would be better to edit directly the web site because else somebody will have to do it again.
So if you need I can edit directly a form.

Stef

> [...]
>>> really nicely proposed project. Last year 6 student proposed projects
>>> were accepted and finished successfully!
>>>
>>> For the community, start looking around for students. Think about how to
>>> approach the universities near by you, do you know who to contact
>>> there, etc.
>>>
>>> We are namely preparing an application to this year Smalltalk Google
>>> Summer of Code under ESUG umbrella, as last year. If accepted, Google
>>> will pay few stipendiums to students on our Smalltalk projects.
>>>
>>> More on our special Smalltalk GSoC 2013 website:
>>>
>>> http://gsoc2013.esug.org
>>>
>>> I'm specially inviting mentors of all past GSoCs to rejoin the mentors
>>> mailing list, where we discuss all details about this year GSoC:
>>>
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/smalltalk-gsoc-mentors
>>>
>>> While students interested on GSoC please join a special Smalltalk GSoC

Re: [Pharo-project] GSoC13: Google Summer of Code started, your ideas please!

Janko Mivšek
Hi Stef,

Dne 09. 03. 2013 21:47, piše Stéphane Ducasse:

> I sent some topics now I think that it would be better to edit directly the web site because else somebody will have to do it again.
> So if you need I can edit directly a form.

Direct editing will certainly be a better solution, just that for now
only the whole ideas page will be editable and not through a form for
each idea separately (I don't have a time right now for adding that).

To edit a whole page publicly I need to recheck the locking mechanism
first, then OpenID authentication currently don't work because of a
expired Google's cert, so ...  let me put ideas by me for now, later
I'll try to open editing more broadly.

Best regards
Janko

http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: [Pharo-project] GSoC13: Google Summer of Code started, your ideas please!

stephane ducasse
Ok I will send other descriptions a plain text.

I still continue to believe that we can create a real eco system where people can make money.

Stef

> Hi Stef,
>
> Dne 09. 03. 2013 21:47, piše Stéphane Ducasse:
>
>> I sent some topics now I think that it would be better to edit directly the web site because else somebody will have to do it again.
>> So if you need I can edit directly a form.
>
> Direct editing will certainly be a better solution, just that for now
> only the whole ideas page will be editable and not through a form for
> each idea separately (I don't have a time right now for adding that).
>
> To edit a whole page publicly I need to recheck the locking mechanism
> first, then OpenID authentication currently don't work because of a
> expired Google's cert, so ...  let me put ideas by me for now, later
> I'll try to open editing more broadly.
>
> Best regards
> Janko
>

>> Stef
>>

>>> Hi Stef,
>>>
>>> Post on the mailing list for each project idea by following this template:
>>>
>>> Level: (beginner, intermediate, advanced)
>>>
>>> Possible mentor:
>>>
>>> Possible second mentor:
>>>
>>> Description
>>>
>>> Technical Details
>>>
>>> Benefits to the Student
>>>
>>> Benefits to the Community
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>> Janko

>>> --
>>> Janko Mivšek
>>> Aida/Web
>>> Smalltalk Web Application Server
>>> http://www.aidaweb.si
>>>

> --
> Janko Mivšek
> Aida/Web
> Smalltalk Web Application Server
> http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: [Pharo-project] [squeak-dev] GSoC13: Google Summer of Code started, your ideas please!

Guillermo Polito
Hi Janko!

We have this:

 Level: intermediate
 Possible mentor: Guillermo Polito
 Possible second mentor: Esteban Lorenzano

 Description: DBXTalk database driver nowadays uses a native library called OpenDBX. This library stands as an adaptor between different database drivers, implemented in C. This native library supposes many problems:
  - it should be normally compiled for each different platform (Windows, *nix, macosx) and database vendor
  - each of its bugs should be fixed in a C source code base
  - OpenDBX do not expose the particular behavior of each database vendor, but their common denominator
  - difficulty for distribution, and problems to locate libraries.
  This project proposes to use NativeBoost bindings to remove the necessity of the native openDBX library, simplifying the deployment of applications using relational databases, and moving all the code base to Smalltalk.

  Technical Details: This project supposes the replacement of openDBX old FFI bindings by direct nativeBoost bindings to the database drivers. The new drivers should be completely written in Smalltalk, and take care of platform and library resolution in the image side. These drivers should be polymorphic while also enabling the access to specific API provided by database vendors.

  Benefits to the Student
  - Use a highly reflective dynamic language
  - Learn the basics of foreign function interface (and its exponent NativeBoost)
  - Learn how to manage external resources and platform specific native code
  - Put into usage its object design skills to transform a structured designed library into an object oriented one

  Benefits to the Community
  - A more malleable and full smalltalk implementation of relational database drivers
  - Easier deploy for applications using relational databases
  - Database divers exposing their particular apis, providing access to features not available before

Guille

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: [Pharo-project] [squeak-dev] GSoC13: Google Summer of Code started, your ideas please!

Guillermo Polito
And another one:

 Level: intermediate
 Possible mentor: Santiago Bragagnolo
 Possible second mentor: Guillermo Polito

 Description: Gamification is becoming more and more popular in a lot of applications. What about gamify the pharo development process? You get points by adding comments, fixing bugs or answering questions. You can be a comment healer, a bug slayer, a Zinc magician. The intend of this project is to build an application that integrates with the Pharo development process tools (issue tracker, smalltalkhub, stack overflow) and provides a gamified experience, so we get more and more motivated to code.

  Technical Details: This project implies the creation of an application which communicates with different applications APIs and perform some analysis on them such as running source code Lint rules. Additionally, this application should have a web frontend.

  Benefits to the Student
  - Use a highly reflective dynamic language
  - Learn to develop a complex application architecture with several communicating components
  - Learn about ramification concepts
  - Learn about an open source project development and integration process, such as Pharo
  - Learn web application development techniques

  Benefits to the Community
  - have a platform to organize activities and events around the Pharo development
  - be more motivated to participate into the development for rewards such as experience, badges and abilities

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: [Pharo-project] [squeak-dev] GSoC13: Google Summer of Code started, your ideas please!

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hola tocayo!

Maybe you can find this interesting: http://www.squeaksource.com/Jabber/

Best,

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 2:41 PM, Mariano Vicente <[hidden email]> wrote:

​Hi, my name is Mariano,i'm a student at University of Quilmes. i have a experience in other programing languages like Scala, or Objective-c, and i like to participate in a real Smaltalk project. My background  in this tecnology, is a little small, i never make a real project (I do in other tecnlogies) and i think the summer of code is a great oportunity for learn and practice.

My ideas are:

Level: intermediate
Possible mentor: guillermo polito
Possible second mentor: (?)
Technical Details: Create a jabber client api, to provide the capacity to connect with accouts like google talk, or facebook chat.
Create a jabber api server, with the capacity of accept connection of diferent jabber clients.
Benefits to the Student:
  - Learn
​​
​​
​ and understand ​
architecture
​​
server/client
  - Learn about the protocol jabber.

  - Use a highly reflective dynamic language​

Benefits to the Community:
  - Server and client for jabber protocol
  - Posible implementations for chatbots, chatclients, chatservers

And :

​Level: intermediate
Possible mentor: Guillermo Polito
Possible second mentor: (?)
Technical Details: Animation Library, to make visual animation objects in the screen, such as move, bounce , etc.
Benefits to the Student:
  - Learn the basics of animations and moving objects.
  - Learn about manage of graphics
  - Understand the concepts of movement functions

Benefits to the Community:
  - Get a library to make custom animations with the posibility of add new ones.

​Regards,
Mariano

--

http://marianopeck.wordpress.com