GT FileReference inspector menu items

alistairgrant
Hi Doru,

I've been adding menu items to the AbstractFileReference Items tab by modifying

AbstractFileReference>>gtInspectorItemsIn:

This obviously isn't a good way to add menu items as different
packages will over-write each other and was wondering if an extensible
framework had been included in the new GT toolkit (e.g. using pragmas
to define the menu items)?  (or am I missing something in Pharo 8)?

If not - consider this a feature request :-)

P.S.  The new String inspector as demoed in

https://twitter.com/feenkcom/status/1102159122571710465

looks great!  Being able to see the character easily is something I've
wanted many times.

Thanks!
Alistair

Re: GT FileReference inspector menu items

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

> On Mar 3, 2019, at 3:45 PM, Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Doru,
>
> I've been adding menu items to the AbstractFileReference Items tab by modifying
>
> AbstractFileReference>>gtInspectorItemsIn:
>
> This obviously isn't a good way to add menu items as different
> packages will over-write each other and was wondering if an extensible
> framework had been included in the new GT toolkit (e.g. using pragmas
> to define the menu items)?  (or am I missing something in Pharo 8)?

You did not miss it. There is no option for this.

> If not - consider this a feature request :-)

We played with this in multiple ways and came to the conclusion that it is too complicated and requires too much magic for the gain.

There are two alternatives:
1. extract specific views in a separate class and make that one be extensible
2. offer a generic mechanism to disable unwanted views. This allows one to provide an alternative view and disable the default one.

> P.S.  The new String inspector as demoed in
>
> https://twitter.com/feenkcom/status/1102159122571710465
>
> looks great!  Being able to see the character easily is something I've
> wanted many times.

I am happy you like it :)

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.feenk.com

"There are no old things, there are only old ways of looking at them."

Re: GT FileReference inspector menu items

alistairgrant
Hi Doru,

Thanks for your reply.

On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 at 21:27, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > On Mar 3, 2019, at 3:45 PM, Alistair Grant <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Doru,
> >
> > I've been adding menu items to the AbstractFileReference Items tab by modifying
> >
> > AbstractFileReference>>gtInspectorItemsIn:
> >
> > This obviously isn't a good way to add menu items as different
> > packages will over-write each other and was wondering if an extensible
> > framework had been included in the new GT toolkit (e.g. using pragmas
> > to define the menu items)?  (or am I missing something in Pharo 8)?
>
> You did not miss it. There is no option for this.
>
> > If not - consider this a feature request :-)
>
> We played with this in multiple ways and came to the conclusion that it is too complicated and requires too much magic for the gain.
>
> There are two alternatives:
> 1. extract specific views in a separate class and make that one be extensible
> 2. offer a generic mechanism to disable unwanted views. This allows one to provide an alternative view and disable the default one.

OK.  I'll (eventually) have a play with these ideas.

Thanks again,
Alistair