GT is So Cool!!

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Holy #@$! what a difference GT makes. Consider the following side-by-side of a HOCR object returned by Google's Tesseract OCR Library. The left shows a traditional inspector, the right shows the lines of OCRed text. The traditional view is pretty much useless, but the right side tells you quite a bit about the object in domain terms.

Cheers,
Sean

Re: GT is So Cool!!

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sean P. DeNigris wrote
the right shows the lines of OCRed text
And (of course!), the line objects have their own custom view so you can dive in and break them down to the words they contain (as determined separately by Tesseract).

This feels revolutionary. All the countless hours I've wasted digging through C/C++ watch lists, Smalltalk inspectors, Ruby stdouts, etc are flashing before my eyes... what will I do with all the time I save?! ;)
Cheers,
Sean

Re: GT is So Cool!!

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Sean,

Thanks for the kind words.

I am happy these tools raise excitement. The funny thing is that it is hard to convey the interestingness of GT in static pictures. Most often excitement comes from looks. Yet, take yours for example: there is absolutely nothing exciting about a couple of lists. But, when you start to use contextual details during inspection and extend the tools exactly at the point when the need occurs, the game changes radically.

Everyone spends these long hours digging through systems. Yet, most people don't like this at all (if you do not believe me, when was the last time you heard someone bragging about the last debugging session?). I think the reason is that until now, the experience was terrible. Digging through systems has to become a beautiful experience. We owe this to our future self and to the next generations.

The current GT is a step (ok, maybe two :)) forward, but there is lots to do in this direction. And I think this is one area in which Pharo can thrive and be radically different.

Cheers,
Doru

Sean P. DeNigris wrote

<http://forum.world.st/file/n4810055/Screenshot_2015-03-06_11.png>

This feels revolutionary. All the countless hours I've wasted digging
through C/C++ watch lists, Smalltalk inspectors, Ruby stdouts, etc are
flashing before my eyes... what will I do with all the time I save?! ;)

-----
Cheers,
Sean

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: GT is So Cool!!

abergel
+1

Alexandre

Le 7 mars 2015 à 04:59, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Hi Sean,

Thanks for the kind words.

I am happy these tools raise excitement. The funny thing is that it is hard to convey the interestingness of GT in static pictures. Most often excitement comes from looks. Yet, take yours for example: there is absolutely nothing exciting about a couple of lists. But, when you start to use contextual details during inspection and extend the tools exactly at the point when the need occurs, the game changes radically.

Everyone spends these long hours digging through systems. Yet, most people don't like this at all (if you do not believe me, when was the last time you heard someone bragging about the last debugging session?). I think the reason is that until now, the experience was terrible. Digging through systems has to become a beautiful experience. We owe this to our future self and to the next generations.

The current GT is a step (ok, maybe two :)) forward, but there is lots to do in this direction. And I think this is one area in which Pharo can thrive and be radically different.

Cheers,
Doru

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 5:34 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sean P. DeNigris wrote
> the right shows the lines of OCRed text

And (of course!), the line objects have their own custom view so you can
dive in and break them down to the words they contain (as determined
separately by Tesseract).

<http://forum.world.st/file/n4810055/Screenshot_2015-03-06_11.png>

This feels revolutionary. All the countless hours I've wasted digging
through C/C++ watch lists, Smalltalk inspectors, Ruby stdouts, etc are
flashing before my eyes... what will I do with all the time I save?! ;)

-----
Cheers,
Sean

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: GT is So Cool!!

stepharo
Doru

do you have a scenario that I can replay to show GT, right now I failed to do a sexy presentation and show the point
and this is something I want to be able to do.

Stef

Le 7/3/15 10:59, Tudor Girba a écrit :
Hi Sean,

Thanks for the kind words.

I am happy these tools raise excitement. The funny thing is that it is hard to convey the interestingness of GT in static pictures. Most often excitement comes from looks. Yet, take yours for example: there is absolutely nothing exciting about a couple of lists. But, when you start to use contextual details during inspection and extend the tools exactly at the point when the need occurs, the game changes radically.

Everyone spends these long hours digging through systems. Yet, most people don't like this at all (if you do not believe me, when was the last time you heard someone bragging about the last debugging session?). I think the reason is that until now, the experience was terrible. Digging through systems has to become a beautiful experience. We owe this to our future self and to the next generations.

The current GT is a step (ok, maybe two :)) forward, but there is lots to do in this direction. And I think this is one area in which Pharo can thrive and be radically different.

Cheers,
Doru

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 5:34 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sean P. DeNigris wrote
> the right shows the lines of OCRed text

And (of course!), the line objects have their own custom view so you can
dive in and break them down to the words they contain (as determined
separately by Tesseract).

<http://forum.world.st/file/n4810055/Screenshot_2015-03-06_11.png>

This feels revolutionary. All the countless hours I've wasted digging
through C/C++ watch lists, Smalltalk inspectors, Ruby stdouts, etc are
flashing before my eyes... what will I do with all the time I save?! ;)

-----
Cheers,
Sean

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: GT is So Cool!!

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Stef,

Indeed, I would like to invest in a little package that people can use to demo GT and Pharo in general. I will get back to you on this topic :)

Cheers,
Doru

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: GT is So Cool!!

Damien Cassou

I am giving a presentation in front of Inria engineers at the end of the month. Do you think your package could be ready at this time?

On Mar 8, 2015 7:27 AM, "Tudor Girba" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Stef,

Indeed, I would like to invest in a little package that people can use to demo GT and Pharo in general. I will get back to you on this topic :)

Cheers,
Doru

On Sat, Mar 7, 2015 at 1:08 PM, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Doru

do you have a scenario that I can replay to show GT, right now I failed to do a sexy presentation and show the point
and this is something I want to be able to do.

Stef

Le 7/3/15 10:59, Tudor Girba a écrit :
Hi Sean,

Thanks for the kind words.

I am happy these tools raise excitement. The funny thing is that it is hard to convey the interestingness of GT in static pictures. Most often excitement comes from looks. Yet, take yours for example: there is absolutely nothing exciting about a couple of lists. But, when you start to use contextual details during inspection and extend the tools exactly at the point when the need occurs, the game changes radically.

Everyone spends these long hours digging through systems. Yet, most people don't like this at all (if you do not believe me, when was the last time you heard someone bragging about the last debugging session?). I think the reason is that until now, the experience was terrible. Digging through systems has to become a beautiful experience. We owe this to our future self and to the next generations.

The current GT is a step (ok, maybe two :)) forward, but there is lots to do in this direction. And I think this is one area in which Pharo can thrive and be radically different.

Cheers,
Doru

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 5:34 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sean P. DeNigris wrote
> the right shows the lines of OCRed text

And (of course!), the line objects have their own custom view so you can
dive in and break them down to the words they contain (as determined
separately by Tesseract).

<http://forum.world.st/file/n4810055/Screenshot_2015-03-06_11.png>

This feels revolutionary. All the countless hours I've wasted digging
through C/C++ watch lists, Smalltalk inspectors, Ruby stdouts, etc are
flashing before my eyes... what will I do with all the time I save?! ;)

-----
Cheers,
Sean

"Every thing has its own flow"

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: GT is So Cool!!

Tudor Girba-2
Not sure, but let's try to work on that. How long do you plan for demoing GT?

Doru

On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 4:50 PM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:

I am giving a presentation in front of Inria engineers at the end of the month. Do you think your package could be ready at this time?

On Mar 8, 2015 7:27 AM, "Tudor Girba" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Stef,

Indeed, I would like to invest in a little package that people can use to demo GT and Pharo in general. I will get back to you on this topic :)

Cheers,
Doru

On Sat, Mar 7, 2015 at 1:08 PM, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Doru

do you have a scenario that I can replay to show GT, right now I failed to do a sexy presentation and show the point
and this is something I want to be able to do.

Stef

Le 7/3/15 10:59, Tudor Girba a écrit :
Hi Sean,

Thanks for the kind words.

I am happy these tools raise excitement. The funny thing is that it is hard to convey the interestingness of GT in static pictures. Most often excitement comes from looks. Yet, take yours for example: there is absolutely nothing exciting about a couple of lists. But, when you start to use contextual details during inspection and extend the tools exactly at the point when the need occurs, the game changes radically.

Everyone spends these long hours digging through systems. Yet, most people don't like this at all (if you do not believe me, when was the last time you heard someone bragging about the last debugging session?). I think the reason is that until now, the experience was terrible. Digging through systems has to become a beautiful experience. We owe this to our future self and to the next generations.

The current GT is a step (ok, maybe two :)) forward, but there is lots to do in this direction. And I think this is one area in which Pharo can thrive and be radically different.

Cheers,
Doru

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 5:34 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sean P. DeNigris wrote
> the right shows the lines of OCRed text

And (of course!), the line objects have their own custom view so you can
dive in and break them down to the words they contain (as determined
separately by Tesseract).

<http://forum.world.st/file/n4810055/Screenshot_2015-03-06_11.png>

This feels revolutionary. All the countless hours I've wasted digging
through C/C++ watch lists, Smalltalk inspectors, Ruby stdouts, etc are
flashing before my eyes... what will I do with all the time I save?! ;)

-----
Cheers,
Sean

"Every thing has its own flow"

--

"Every thing has its own flow"

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: GT is So Cool!!

abergel
I am joining my call to Damien’s.
I start my lecture on Pharo this Friday.

Would be great to have it soon :-)

Cheers,
Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

On Mar 9, 2015, at 1:14 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

The current GT is a step (ok, maybe two :)) forward, but there is lots to do in this direction. And I think this is one area in which Pharo can thrive and be radically different.

Cheers,
Doru

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 5:34 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sean P. DeNigris wrote
> the right shows the lines of OCRed text

And (of course!), the line objects have their own custom view so you can
dive in and break them down to the words they contain (as determined
separately by Tesseract).

<http://forum.world.st/file/n4810055/Screenshot_2015-03-06_11.png>

This feels revolutionary. All the countless hours I've wasted digging
through C/C++ watch lists, Smalltalk inspectors, Ruby stdouts, etc are
flashing before my eyes... what will I do with all the time I save?! ;)

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: GT is So Cool!!

stepharo
Damien's presentation should be 45 min and include probably seaside.

Stef