classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

GT is So Cool!!

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Holy #@$! what a difference GT makes. Consider the following side-by-side of a HOCR object returned by Google's Tesseract OCR Library. The left shows a traditional inspector, the right shows the lines of OCRed text. The traditional view is pretty much useless, but the right side tells you quite a bit about the object in domain terms.

Cheers,
Sean
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: GT is So Cool!!

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sean P. DeNigris wrote
the right shows the lines of OCRed text
And (of course!), the line objects have their own custom view so you can dive in and break them down to the words they contain (as determined separately by Tesseract).

This feels revolutionary. All the countless hours I've wasted digging through C/C++ watch lists, Smalltalk inspectors, Ruby stdouts, etc are flashing before my eyes... what will I do with all the time I save?! ;)
Cheers,
Sean
Reply | Threaded
|

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Sean,

Thanks for the kind words.

I am happy these tools raise excitement. The funny thing is that it is hard to convey the interestingness of GT in static pictures. Most often excitement comes from looks. Yet, take yours for example: there is absolutely nothing exciting about a couple of lists. But, when you start to use contextual details during inspection and extend the tools exactly at the point when the need occurs, the game changes radically.

Everyone spends these long hours digging through systems. Yet, most people don't like this at all (if you do not believe me, when was the last time you heard someone bragging about the last debugging session?). I think the reason is that until now, the experience was terrible. Digging through systems has to become a beautiful experience. We owe this to our future self and to the next generations.

The current GT is a step (ok, maybe two :)) forward, but there is lots to do in this direction. And I think this is one area in which Pharo can thrive and be radically different.

Cheers,
Doru

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 5:34 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sean P. DeNigris wrote
> the right shows the lines of OCRed text

And (of course!), the line objects have their own custom view so you can
dive in and break them down to the words they contain (as determined
separately by Tesseract).

<http://forum.world.st/file/n4810055/Screenshot_2015-03-06_11.png>

This feels revolutionary. All the countless hours I've wasted digging
through C/C++ watch lists, Smalltalk inspectors, Ruby stdouts, etc are
flashing before my eyes... what will I do with all the time I save?! ;)

-----
Cheers,
Sean
--
View this message in context: http://forum.world.st/GT-is-So-Cool-tp4810054p4810055.html
Sent from the Pharo Smalltalk Developers mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

--

"Every thing has its own flow"
Reply | Threaded
|

abergel
+1

Alexandre 

Le 7 mars 2015 à 04:59, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Hi Sean,

I am happy these tools raise excitement. The funny thing is that it is hard to convey the interestingness of GT in static pictures. Most often excitement comes from looks. Yet, take yours for example: there is absolutely nothing exciting about a couple of lists. But, when you start to use contextual details during inspection and extend the tools exactly at the point when the need occurs, the game changes radically.

Everyone spends these long hours digging through systems. Yet, most people don't like this at all (if you do not believe me, when was the last time you heard someone bragging about the last debugging session?). I think the reason is that until now, the experience was terrible. Digging through systems has to become a beautiful experience. We owe this to our future self and to the next generations.

The current GT is a step (ok, maybe two :)) forward, but there is lots to do in this direction. And I think this is one area in which Pharo can thrive and be radically different.

Cheers,
Doru

Sean P. DeNigris wrote

-----
Cheers,
Sean
--
View this message in context: http://forum.world.st/GT-is-So-Cool-tp4810054p4810055.html

--

Reply | Threaded
|

stepharo
In reply to this post by Tudor Girba-2
Doru

do you have a scenario that I can replay to show GT, right now I failed to do a sexy presentation and show the point
and this is something I want to be able to do.

Stef

Le 7/3/15 10:59, Tudor Girba a écrit :
Hi Sean,

Cheers,
Doru

Sean P. DeNigris wrote

-----
Cheers,
Sean
--

--

Reply | Threaded
|

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Stef,

Indeed, I would like to invest in a little package that people can use to demo GT and Pharo in general. I will get back to you on this topic :)

Cheers,
Doru

On Sat, Mar 7, 2015 at 1:08 PM, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Doru

do you have a scenario that I can replay to show GT, right now I failed to do a sexy presentation and show the point

Stef

Hi Sean,

Cheers,
Doru

Sean P. DeNigris wrote

-----
Cheers,
Sean
--

--

--

Reply | Threaded
|

Damien Cassou

I am giving a presentation in front of Inria engineers at the end of the month. Do you think your package could be ready at this time?

On Mar 8, 2015 7:27 AM, "Tudor Girba" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Stef,

Indeed, I would like to invest in a little package that people can use to demo GT and Pharo in general. I will get back to you on this topic :)

Cheers,
Doru

Doru

Stef

Hi Sean,

Cheers,
Doru

Sean P. DeNigris wrote

-----
Cheers,
Sean
--

--

--

Reply | Threaded
|

Tudor Girba-2
Not sure, but let's try to work on that. How long do you plan for demoing GT?

Doru

On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 4:50 PM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:

I am giving a presentation in front of Inria engineers at the end of the month. Do you think your package could be ready at this time?

Hi Stef,

Cheers,
Doru

Doru

Stef

Hi Sean,

Cheers,
Doru

Sean P. DeNigris wrote

-----
Cheers,
Sean
--

--

--

--

Reply | Threaded
|

abergel
I am joining my call to Damien’s.
I start my lecture on Pharo this Friday.

Would be great to have it soon :-)

Cheers,
Alexandre
-- 
_,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

On Mar 9, 2015, at 1:14 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

Doru

Hi Stef,

Cheers,
Doru

Doru

Stef

Hi Sean,

Cheers,
Doru

Sean P. DeNigris wrote

-----
Cheers,
Sean
--

--

--

--

Reply | Threaded
|

stepharo
In reply to this post by Tudor Girba-2
Damien's presentation should be 45 min and include probably seaside.

Stef

Le 9/3/15 17:14, Tudor Girba a écrit :

Doru

Hi Stef,

Cheers,
Doru

Doru

Stef

Hi Sean,

Cheers,
Doru

Sean P. DeNigris wrote

-----
Cheers,
Sean
--

--

--

--