GTDocument how to

12

GTDocument how to

HilaireFernandes
Hi,

I would like a document where user types in normal text and plugs in
DrGeo view. The drgeo view will be dual. It will be alternatively the
output of a DrGeo script (drgeo canvas) or the DrGeo script itself (code).

The view will be interactive. In drgeo canvas mode, user plays with the
geometric construction, when switched to code mode, the user edits the
DrGeo script and recompute the DrGeo canvas output.

Is GTDocument appropriate to do this? If so, where to start?

Thanks

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: GTDocument how to

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Hi Hilaire,

As far as I understand your description, Documenter should fit. You can start by using:

-=-=-=-
GtDocumenter editorForText: 'This is a Dr. Geo tutorial. Evaluate the following script:

[[[
 "A Dr. Geo script that returns DrGeo canvas"
]]]

Extensions are done using ==<gtView>== pragmas.

-=-=-=-

Let me know how it works for you.

Juraj

> On Sep 26, 2018, at 14:10, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I would like a document where user types in normal text and plugs in
> DrGeo view. The drgeo view will be dual. It will be alternatively the
> output of a DrGeo script (drgeo canvas) or the DrGeo script itself (code).
>
> The view will be interactive. In drgeo canvas mode, user plays with the
> geometric construction, when switched to code mode, the user edits the
> DrGeo script and recompute the DrGeo canvas output.
>
> Is GTDocument appropriate to do this? If so, where to start?
>
> Thanks
>
> Hilaire
>
> --
> Dr. Geo
> http://drgeo.eu

Re: GTDocument how to

HilaireFernandes
Thanks for the tips. Where should be key in this text?

I went installing DrGeo along Documenter in P6.1, but it is stalled when
installing XML dependecies (a bit old, true).

Conflict with XML? or Issue with DrGeo on P6.1, may be both.

This is so fragile.

Hilaire

On Sep 27, 2018, at 10:41, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks for the tips. Where should be key in this text?

What do you mean? You can edit the text as you wish.

By evaluating and inspecting:

-=-=-=-
GtDocumenter editorForText: 'This is a Dr. Geo tutorial. Evaluate the following script:

[[[
"A Dr. Geo script that returns DrGeo canvas”
]]]

Extensions are done using ==<gtView>== pragmas.
'
-=-=-=-

I have a text editor in an inspector where I can edit the Documenter content.

Do you have the same?

I went installing DrGeo along Documenter in P6.1, but it is stalled when
installing XML dependecies (a bit old, true).

Conflict with XML? or Issue with DrGeo on P6.1, may be both.

How can I install DrGeo? I do not see a Monticello script on the DrGeo.eu web page.

This is so fragile.

Keep in mind that GToolkit, including Documenter, is in alpha version.

Juraj

Le 27/09/2018 à 16:52, Juraj Kubelka via Pharo-users a écrit :

>> On Sep 27, 2018, at 10:41, Hilaire
>> <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the tips. Where should be key in this text?
>
> What do you mean? You can edit the text as you wish.

Do not forget, what is obvious for one may not be for another. I could
write a book full of anecdotes with obvious features in DrGeo not so
obvious for a newbie.

So you write this text in playground and inspect?

> By evaluating and inspecting:
>
> -=-=-=-
> GtDocumenter editorForText: 'This is a Dr. Geo tutorial. Evaluate the
> following script:
>
> [[[
> "A Dr. Geo script that returns DrGeo canvas”
> ]]]
>
> Extensions are done using ==<gtView>== pragmas.
> '
> -=-=-=-
>
> I have a text editor in an inspector where I can edit the Documenter
> content.
>

> Do you have the same?
No, never saw that. I installed from:
Metacello new
   baseline: 'GToolkit';
   repository: 'github://feenkcom/gtoolkit/src';
   load.

>> I went installing DrGeo along Documenter in P6.1, but it is stalled when
>> installing XML dependecies (a bit old, true).
>>
>> Conflict with XML? or Issue with DrGeo on P6.1, may be both.
>
> How can I install DrGeo? I do not see a Monticello script on the
> DrGeo.eu <http://DrGeo.eu> web page.

I am afraid it is a bit tedious at first as it is not github based, but
Launchpad.
Read INSTALL file for full instruction:
https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~drgeo-developers/drgeo/trunk/view/head:/src/INSTALL

>> This is so fragile.
>
> Keep in mind that GToolkit, including Documenter, is in alpha version.

I did not have GToolkit in mind when I wrote fragile, more likely the
whole Smalltalk things. As I wrote in my previous email, my issue was
when installing DrGeo on a P6.1 image with GToolkit already installed. I
am not sure about why the process was hanging when installing XML's Dr.
Geo requirement. The image is then frozen
 Ok may be I can't install DrGeo on P6.1, I still have error
(screenshot). In the other I failed to installing GToolkit on P7.

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Capture du 2018-09-27 19-48-36.png (260K) Download Attachment

Re: GTDocument how to

Tim Mackinnon
When I installed GTDocumenter into a clean P61 image it took a really long time (like 20+ mins), so it may be something you have to wait out.

It does beg the question why it takes so long? Actually all of our code loading is quite slow compared to other languages that load a lot more code. Not sure if if it’s ever been optimised ?

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

> On 28 Sep 2018, at 05:58, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Le 27/09/2018 à 16:52, Juraj Kubelka via Pharo-users a écrit :
>>
>>> On Sep 27, 2018, at 10:41, Hilaire
>>> <[hidden email]
>>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for the tips. Where should be key in this text?
>>
>> What do you mean? You can edit the text as you wish.
>
> Do not forget, what is obvious for one may not be for another. I could
> write a book full of anecdotes with obvious features in DrGeo not so
> obvious for a newbie.
>
> So you write this text in playground and inspect?
>

>> By evaluating and inspecting:
>>
>> -=-=-=-
>> GtDocumenter editorForText: 'This is a Dr. Geo tutorial. Evaluate the
>> following script:
>>
>> [[[
>> "A Dr. Geo script that returns DrGeo canvas”
>> ]]]
>>
>> Extensions are done using ==<gtView>== pragmas.
>> '
>> -=-=-=-
>>
>> I have a text editor in an inspector where I can edit the Documenter
>> content.
>>

>> Do you have the same?
>
> No, never saw that. I installed from:
> Metacello new
>    baseline: 'GToolkit';
>    repository: 'github://feenkcom/gtoolkit/src';
>    load.
>

>>> I went installing DrGeo along Documenter in P6.1, but it is stalled when
>>> installing XML dependecies (a bit old, true).
>>>
>>> Conflict with XML? or Issue with DrGeo on P6.1, may be both.
>>
>> How can I install DrGeo? I do not see a Monticello script on the
>> DrGeo.eu <http://DrGeo.eu> web page.
>
> I am afraid it is a bit tedious at first as it is not github based, but
> Launchpad.
> Read INSTALL file for full instruction:
> https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~drgeo-developers/drgeo/trunk/view/head:/src/INSTALL
>

>>> This is so fragile.
>>
>> Keep in mind that GToolkit, including Documenter, is in alpha version.
>
> I did not have GToolkit in mind when I wrote fragile, more likely the
> whole Smalltalk things. As I wrote in my previous email, my issue was
> when installing DrGeo on a P6.1 image with GToolkit already installed. I
> am not sure about why the process was hanging when installing XML's Dr.
> Geo requirement. The image is then frozen
>  Ok may be I can't install DrGeo on P6.1, I still have error
> (screenshot). In the other I failed to installing GToolkit on P7.
>
> Hilaire
>
> --
> Dr. Geo
> http://drgeo.eu
>
> <Capture du 2018-09-27 19-48-36.png>

Re: GTDocument how to

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Please load the whole GT. Also, in the meantime we switched to Tonel which should speedup the loading time significantly.

Cheers,
Doru

> On Sep 28, 2018, at 7:53 PM, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> When I installed GTDocumenter into a clean P61 image it took a really long time (like 20+ mins), so it may be something you have to wait out.
>
> It does beg the question why it takes so long? Actually all of our code loading is quite slow compared to other languages that load a lot more code. Not sure if if it’s ever been optimised ?
>
> Tim
>
> Sent from my iPhone

>>> What do you mean? You can edit the text as you wish.
>>
>> Do not forget, what is obvious for one may not be for another. I could
>> write a book full of anecdotes with obvious features in DrGeo not so
>> obvious for a newbie.
>>
>> So you write this text in playground and inspect?
>>

>>> By evaluating and inspecting:
>>>
>>> -=-=-=-
>>> GtDocumenter editorForText: 'This is a Dr. Geo tutorial. Evaluate the
>>> following script:
>>>
>>> [[[
>>> "A Dr. Geo script that returns DrGeo canvas”
>>> ]]]
>>>
>>> Extensions are done using ==<gtView>== pragmas.
>>> '
>>> -=-=-=-
>>>
>>> I have a text editor in an inspector where I can edit the Documenter
>>> content.
>>>

>>> Do you have the same?
>>
>> No, never saw that. I installed from:
>> Metacello new
>>   baseline: 'GToolkit';
>>   repository: 'github://feenkcom/gtoolkit/src';
>>   load.

>>> How can I install DrGeo? I do not see a Monticello script on the
>>> DrGeo.eu <http://DrGeo.eu> web page.
>>
>> I am afraid it is a bit tedious at first as it is not github based, but
>> Launchpad.
>> Read INSTALL file for full instruction:
>> https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~drgeo-developers/drgeo/trunk/view/head:/src/INSTALL

>>> Keep in mind that GToolkit, including Documenter, is in alpha version.
>>
>> I did not have GToolkit in mind when I wrote fragile, more likely the
>> whole Smalltalk things. As I wrote in my previous email, my issue was
>> when installing DrGeo on a P6.1 image with GToolkit already installed. I
>> am not sure about why the process was hanging when installing XML's Dr.
>> Geo requirement. The image is then frozen
>> Ok may be I can't install DrGeo on P6.1, I still have error
>> (screenshot). In the other I failed to installing GToolkit on P7.
>>
>> Hilaire
>>
>> --
>> Dr. Geo
>> http://drgeo.eu
>>
>> <Capture du 2018-09-27 19-48-36.png>

--
www.feenk.com

"Every thing should have the right to be different."

Re: GTDocument how to

Adventurer

I have found that moving the image and changes files onto a RAMdisk makes a huge difference to the install time of large packages.

Give it a try.

Craig

> [...]

>> DrGeo.eu <http://DrGeo.eu> web page.
>
> I am afraid it is a bit tedious at first as it is not github based, but
> Launchpad.
> Read INSTALL file for full instruction:
> https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~drgeo-developers/drgeo/trunk/view/head:/src/INSTALL
>

>>> This is so fragile.
>>
>> Keep in mind that GToolkit, including Documenter, is in alpha version.
>
> I did not have GToolkit in mind when I wrote fragile, more likely the
> whole Smalltalk things. As I wrote in my previous email, my issue was
> when installing DrGeo on a P6.1 image with GToolkit already installed. I
> am not sure about why the process was hanging when installing XML's Dr.
> Geo requirement. The image is then frozen
>  Ok may be I can't install DrGeo on P6.1, I still have error
> (screenshot). In the other I failed to installing GToolkit on P7.

I don't remember to be annoyed by the loading time of GToolkit.
Regarding DrGeo it is installed from Tonel file format repository (which
is local too), and it is usually very fast. Oh! But P6.1 may not be up
to the task with Tonel? I don't remember clearly all the reason why I
skipped P6 (the canvas bug but may be something else)

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: GTDocument how to

Tim Mackinnon
Ah yes - the newer Tonel format should help - I haven’t consciously noticed when having slow loading if all of the dependencies were Tonel2.

I still wonder if we may have a code loading perf issue overall - not sure if it’s ever been measured (might be a great summer project for someone). Hopefully a move to Tonel and git might give opportunities to optimise it. Certainly when I look at the quantity of JavaScript that gets pulled in - we seem quite slow.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

<[hidden email]>> wrote:

Thanks for the tips. Where should be key in this text?

What do you mean? You can edit the text as you wish.

Do not forget, what is obvious for one may not be for another. I could
write a book full of anecdotes with obvious features in DrGeo not so
obvious for a newbie.

Definitely. You question is valid. I was not sure how to help.

So you write this text in playground and inspect?

Well, there are basically two ways to start using Documenter. In both cases it happens in the GT Inspector.

First, you can inspect a class and write a Documenter document as a class comment (Comment inspector tab).
Second, you can create a a-file.pillar local file and inspect it (‘a-file.pillar’ asFileReference).

Let me know if it helps.

By evaluating and inspecting:

-=-=-=-
GtDocumenter editorForText: 'This is a Dr. Geo tutorial. Evaluate the
following script:

[[[
"A Dr. Geo script that returns DrGeo canvas”
]]]

Extensions are done using ==<gtView>== pragmas.
'
-=-=-=-

I have a text editor in an inspector where I can edit the Documenter
content.

Do you have the same?

No, never saw that. I installed from:
Metacello new
   baseline: 'GToolkit';
   repository: '<a href="github://feenkcom/gtoolkit/src" class="">github://feenkcom/gtoolkit/src';
   load.

I went installing DrGeo along Documenter in P6.1, but it is stalled when
installing XML dependecies (a bit old, true).

Conflict with XML? or Issue with DrGeo on P6.1, may be both.

How can I install DrGeo? I do not see a Monticello script on the
DrGeo.eu <http://DrGeo.eu> web page.

I am afraid it is a bit tedious at first as it is not github based, but
Launchpad.
Read INSTALL file for full instruction:
https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~drgeo-developers/drgeo/trunk/view/head:/src/INSTALL

I have checked GToolkit dependencies and there is no XML project involved:

This is so fragile.

Keep in mind that GToolkit, including Documenter, is in alpha version.

I did not have GToolkit in mind when I wrote fragile, more likely the
whole Smalltalk things. As I wrote in my previous email, my issue was
when installing DrGeo on a P6.1 image with GToolkit already installed. I
am not sure about why the process was hanging when installing XML's Dr.
Geo requirement. The image is then frozen
 Ok may be I can't install DrGeo on P6.1, I still have error
(screenshot). In the other I failed to installing GToolkit on P7.

We updated GToolkit this week to work in Pharo 7. At least you should be able to load it and open Documenter (or GToolkit tour from World menu). Can you give a try?

Juraj

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

<Capture du 2018-09-27 19-48-36.png>

Re: GTDocument how to

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Hi Hilaire,

I was able to install both, DrGeo and GToolkit in Pharo 7.0 image:

It takes time, but it is possible :-)

I hope it helps.
Juraj

<[hidden email]>> wrote:

[...]

<Screen Shot 2018-09-29 at 10.43.15.png>

[...]

Nice!

I got issue when installing GToolkit on P7. May be the VM is not up to
the task (I took the one shipped with P6.1) but there are error message
with stdio... See screenshot.

Will try with a newer VM.

Hilaire

Le 29/09/2018 à 17:12, Juraj Kubelka via Pharo-users a écrit :
> I was able to install both, DrGeo and GToolkit in Pharo 7.0 image:

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Capture du 2018-09-29 19-07-32.png (198K) Download Attachment

Re: GTDocument how to

alistairgrant
Hi Hilaire,

This looks like you have an old VM.  If you get the current stable VM
it should be fine.

The current Pharo 6 & 7 VMs are both dated 28 June 2018.

Cheers,
Alistair

On Sat, 29 Sep 2018 at 19:11, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nice!
>
> I got issue when installing GToolkit on P7. May be the VM is not up to
> the task (I took the one shipped with P6.1) but there are error message
> with stdio... See screenshot.
>
> Will try with a newer VM.
>
> Hilaire
>

> Le 29/09/2018 à 17:12, Juraj Kubelka via Pharo-users a écrit :
> > I was able to install both, DrGeo and GToolkit in Pharo 7.0 image:
>
> --
> Dr. Geo
> http://drgeo.eu

Re: GTDocument how to

HilaireFernandes
Indeed new VM passed that error. I have another issue related to unmet
dependencies. See screenshot.

Not sure it belongs to GToolkit or P7.

Hilaire

Capture du 2018-09-29 19-34-16.png (219K) Download Attachment

Re: GTDocument how to

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
I do not know how it is possible, but your header mentions Pharo 6.1, but according to the UI you have Pharo 7. And the missing class is part of Pharo 6 only and is not required in Pharo 7.

One reason might be that you keep locally old (2 months) GToolkit code. Can you check this?

Juraj

--
Juraj Kubelka

El 29-09-2018, a la(s) 14:37, Hilaire <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Indeed new VM passed that error. I have another issue related to unmet
> dependencies. See screenshot.
>
> Not sure it belongs to GToolkit or P7.
>
> Hilaire
>
>> Le 29/09/2018 à 19:16, Alistair Grant a écrit :
>> This looks like you have an old VM.  If you get the current stable VM
>> it should be fine.
>>
>> The current Pharo 6 & 7 VMs are both dated 28 June 2018.
>
> --
> Dr. Geo
> http://drgeo.eu
>
> <Capture du 2018-09-29 19-34-16.png>

Re: GTDocument how to

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
To be more concrete: you might have locally an old Bloc repository.

Juraj

--
Juraj Kubelka

> <mime-attachment>

Re: GTDocument how to

HilaireFernandes
Likely. As GIT is integrated to Pharo, when installing the package I was
expecting the local repo to be synchronized from remote master. I will
delete local repos and try it again, it will take time.

Hilaire

Le 29/09/2018 à 20:43, Juraj Kubelka via Pharo-users a écrit :
> I do not know how it is possible, but your header mentions Pharo 6.1, but according to the UI you have Pharo 7. And the missing class is part of Pharo 6 only and is not required in Pharo 7.
>
> One reason might be that you keep locally old (2 months) GToolkit code. Can you check this?

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: GTDocument how to

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Ok. As far as I know, Iceberg does not update local repositories in this use case. Which is fine for developers, less convenient for users.

Juraj

--
Juraj Kubelka

El 29-09-2018, a la(s) 16:42, Hilaire <[hidden email]> escribió:

> Likely. As GIT is integrated to Pharo, when installing the package I was
> expecting the local repo to be synchronized from remote master. I will
> delete local repos and try it again, it will take time.
>
> Hilaire
>

>> Le 29/09/2018 à 20:43, Juraj Kubelka via Pharo-users a écrit :
>> I do not know how it is possible, but your header mentions Pharo 6.1, but according to the UI you have Pharo 7. And the missing class is part of Pharo 6 only and is not required in Pharo 7.
>>
>> One reason might be that you keep locally old (2 months) GToolkit code. Can you check this?
>
> --
> Dr. Geo
> http://drgeo.eu

Re: GTDocument how to

HilaireFernandes
For DSL geometric sketch, I use the DrGeoCanvas class. When instantiated
with the #minimal message, it holds a view with only the sketch and no
widget. Therefore It is an interactive geometric sketch in a Morph, it
can be obtained with the #view message.

Inspected methods with the <gtView> pragma indicate a BLelement is
expected as a view.

Therefore, how can I embed DrGeoCanvas interactive moprh in Documenter?

For example, how to deal with an example as bellow?

| canvas |

canvas := DrGeoCanvas minimal.

canvas line: 0@0 to: 5@5.

minimal view "get the view if necessary"

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu