GTInspect auto-update in raw view?

Esteban A. Maringolo
Hi all,

Is there a way to enable the auto-update of instance variables display in the GTInspector?

There are cases where the instance is nil, I then initialize it somehow, but the variable is still displayed as nil.

I know there is an "Update" button, which BTW should be labeled "refresh" instead, to do it manually, but hey, this is Smalltalk, we invented MVC :D

We can consider the previous as a feature, but what I think it is a bug is that if the variable is nil, and later it is initialized, nil is still displayed, but when clicked the nodes below it shows the variables of the new object in the instance variable.

E.g.
Imágenes integradas 1

Is this a bug or a feature?

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: GTInspect auto-update in raw view?

Aliaksei Syrel
Hello Esteban,

You can enable auto-refresh with: GTInspector enableStepRefresh
For performance reasons it is disabled by default. If you are curious why I think Andrei could explain a bit more :)

Cheers,
Alex

On 17 August 2017 at 00:56, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

Is there a way to enable the auto-update of instance variables display in the GTInspector?

There are cases where the instance is nil, I then initialize it somehow, but the variable is still displayed as nil.

I know there is an "Update" button, which BTW should be labeled "refresh" instead, to do it manually, but hey, this is Smalltalk, we invented MVC :D

We can consider the previous as a feature, but what I think it is a bug is that if the variable is nil, and later it is initialized, nil is still displayed, but when clicked the nodes below it shows the variables of the new object in the instance variable.

E.g.
Imágenes integradas 1

Is this a bug or a feature?

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: GTInspect auto-update in raw view?

EstebanLM

On 17 Aug 2017, at 01:02, Aliaksei Syrel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Esteban,

You can enable auto-refresh with: GTInspector enableStepRefresh
For performance reasons it is disabled by default. If you are curious why I think Andrei could explain a bit more :)

I want to know why is disabled and more than that, when will we be able to make it enabled by default, as before.

Esteban

Cheers,
Alex

On 17 August 2017 at 00:56, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

Is there a way to enable the auto-update of instance variables display in the GTInspector?

There are cases where the instance is nil, I then initialize it somehow, but the variable is still displayed as nil.

I know there is an "Update" button, which BTW should be labeled "refresh" instead, to do it manually, but hey, this is Smalltalk, we invented MVC :D

We can consider the previous as a feature, but what I think it is a bug is that if the variable is nil, and later it is initialized, nil is still displayed, but when clicked the nodes below it shows the variables of the new object in the instance variable.

E.g.
<image.png>

Is this a bug or a feature?

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: GTInspect auto-update in raw view?

Andrei Chis

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 9:24 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 17 Aug 2017, at 01:02, Aliaksei Syrel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Esteban,

You can enable auto-refresh with: GTInspector enableStepRefresh
For performance reasons it is disabled by default. If you are curious why I think Andrei could explain a bit more :)

I want to know why is disabled and more than that, when will we be able to make it enabled by default, as before.

Mostly because it was finished just before the Pharo 6 release.
I'd say we can enable it by default for Pharo 7 and see if there are any issues.

Cheers,
Andrei

[...]

Stephane Ducasse-3
Cooooool
Because I hate so much this update button :)
Stef

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 7:22 PM, Andrei Chis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 9:24 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>

>> On 17 Aug 2017, at 01:02, Aliaksei Syrel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Esteban,
>>
>> You can enable auto-refresh with: GTInspector enableStepRefresh
>> For performance reasons it is disabled by default. If you are curious why
>> I think Andrei could explain a bit more :)
>>

>> I want to know why is disabled and more than that, when will we be able to
>> make it enabled by default, as before.
>

> Mostly because it was finished just before the Pharo 6 release.
> I'd say we can enable it by default for Pharo 7 and see if there are any
> issues.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrei
>

>> Esteban
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Alex
>>
>> On 17 August 2017 at 00:56, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Is there a way to enable the auto-update of instance variables display in
>>> the GTInspector?
>>>
>>> There are cases where the instance is nil, I then initialize it somehow,
>>> but the variable is still displayed as nil.
>>>
>>> I know there is an "Update" button, which BTW should be labeled "refresh"
>>> instead, to do it manually, but hey, this is Smalltalk, we invented MVC :D
>>>
>>> We can consider the previous as a feature, but what I think it is a bug
>>> is that if the variable is nil, and later it is initialized, nil is still
>>> displayed, but when clicked the nodes below it shows the variables of the
>>> new object in the instance variable.
>>>
>>> E.g.
>>> <image.png>
>>>
>>> Is this a bug or a feature?
>>>
>>> Regards!
>>>
>>> Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: GTInspect auto-update in raw view?

Andrei Chis
However, we still need the update button. The automatic refresh only works for the Raw view. A general solution for the update is not yet implemented.

Cheers,
Andrei