GTInspector: editable custom presentation?

GTInspector: editable custom presentation?

jfabry
Hi all,

I’m trying to make a custom GT Inspector presentation for a variable store (i.e. something like a dictionary). The code I have right now shows me the data I want:

gtInspectorDetailsIn: composite
        <gtInspectorPresentationOrder: 0>

        composite table
                title: 'Details';
                display: [ self allVariables ];
                column: 'Variable' evaluated: #key;
                column: 'Value' evaluated: #value;
                send: #value

But, what I would like to do is to take advantage of the edit ability of the inspector to change what is displayed in the Value column and save this directly to the store. I have the method for that (setVariable: withValue: ) but I cannot find how to tell the GTInspector to add the edit functionality and to call this method when an edit action is made. How should I do this?

This is Pharo 4.0 BTW.

PS: I was very impressed with the customizability of the GT inspector … until I wanted to make my own presentation and I found almost no documentation on how to do it. For such a major feature I thought there would be HOWTO’s easily found online but there are none. Not in the GT toolkit page http://gt.moosetechnology.org/ and the pages it points to, nor in the various blogs that talk about the GT Inspector. I did find a starting point on how to do it, but no clear information. Did I overlook something? If so, I think it would be better that this info is more easily found.

---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---

Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD lab  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

Re: GTInspector: editable custom presentation?

Andrei Chis
Use #column:evaluated:modified:

Regarding documentation, if you inspect the class GTInspector you will get a presentation showing all custom presentation from the image.

Cheers,
Andrei

On May 1, 2015, at 18:59, Andrei Chis <[hidden email]> wrote:

Use #column:evaluated:modified:

Cool that works, thanks a lot!

BTW, in the Pharo4 image, this method is in the ‘as yet unclassified’ protocol.

Regarding documentation, if you inspect the class GTInspector you will get a presentation showing all custom presentation from the image.

I would have never thought of that … So looking at the list, it seems that it is sufficient to add a pragma <gtInspectorPresentationOrder: NN>. I suggest the addition of one or two phrases talking about this pragma to http://scg.unibe.ch/research/moldableinspector ?

On May 2, 2015 12:57 AM, "Johan Fabry" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On May 1, 2015, at 18:59, Andrei Chis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Use #column:evaluated:modified:
>

> Cool that works, thanks a lot!
>
> BTW, in the Pharo4 image, this method is in the ‘as yet unclassified’ protocol.

I saw that now. Will be fixed.

>> Regarding documentation, if you inspect the class GTInspector you will get a presentation showing all custom presentation from the image.
>

> I would have never thought of that … So looking at the list, it seems that it is sufficient to add a pragma <gtInspectorPresentationOrder: NN>. I suggest the addition of one or two phrases talking about this pragma to http://scg.unibe.ch/research/moldableinspector ?

I definetly need to improve that page.
However, there are a lot of posts on the humaine assesment blog that Doru posted on the mail list about extending the inspector.

Cheers,
Andrei

> ---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---
>
> Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
> PLEIAD lab  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

Re: GTInspector: editable custom presentation?

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Andrei Chis wrote
if you inspect the class GTInspector you will get a presentation showing all custom presentation from the image.
Cool*!

* so many amazing but seemingly undocumented features :(
Cheers,
Sean

Re: GTInspector: editable custom presentation?

Offray
Can some how this features be reachable by the Spotter? Imagine
something like a StarOverflow, but browsable  inside the image with the
Spotter and integrating the knowledge of this mailing list... would be a
dream :-)

Offray