classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

GTPlayground/Inspector stacked vertically

Peter Uhnak
Hi,

how technically complex it would be to stack the panes in the Playground on top of each other, instead of side by side?

Right now I waste half of my screen just for one line just so I can get a reasonably sized visualization.

Instead I would like to have something like this, even if it was limited to just two panes.

(Or the other way around, code at the bottom, visu at the top, doesn't matter.)

Of course it would probably have to be resizable (I wouldn't want to have the same problem, just vertically.

And yes, I can just inspect the results, but that's quite annoying as it opens yet another window which I have to close all the time.

Peter
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: GTPlayground/Inspector stacked vertically

jfabry

For this specific case you may want to use the SpecEasel which is an example of the of the Roassal2Spec package. You can change the layout of the boxes there by changing the defaultSpec method at class side (but some minimal Spec knowledge is required).

On Apr 29, 2016, at 04:48, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

how technically complex it would be to stack the panes in the Playground on top of each other, instead of side by side?

Right now I waste half of my screen just for one line just so I can get a reasonably sized visualization.

<side-by-side.png>

Instead I would like to have something like this, even if it was limited to just two panes.

<on-top.png>

Of course it would probably have to be resizable (I wouldn't want to have the same problem, just vertically.

And yes, I can just inspect the results, but that's quite annoying as it opens yet another window which I have to close all the time.

Peter

---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---

Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD and RyCh labs  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Uhnak
On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 1:49 PM, Johan Fabry <[hidden email]> wrote:

For this specific case you may want to use the SpecEasel which is an example of the of the Roassal2Spec package. You can change the layout of the boxes there by changing the defaultSpec method at class side (but some minimal Spec knowledge is required).

Well I certainly have enough knowledge to change a layout, but the lacking code support (mainly syntax highlighting) is a real pain (certainly worse than having a large window).
But at least I can add it to my todo and see if it can be improved...

Thanks,
Peter
Reply | Threaded
|

jfabry

On Apr 29, 2016, at 09:03, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:

Well I certainly have enough knowledge to change a layout, but the lacking code support (mainly syntax highlighting) is a real pain (certainly worse than having a large window).
But at least I can add it to my todo and see if it can be improved…

Ah well, the SpecEasel was a quick example not meant to be used intensively, which is why there is no syntax highlighting. If you change the text widget for a Rubric one and you configure it to be for Smalltalk (there is a setting for that) you should get syntax highlighting and all other bells and whistles for free.

PLEIAD and RyCh labs  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

Reply | Threaded
|

abergel
In reply to this post by Peter Uhnak
That would be fantastic to have a push on the playground. Playground/Inspector is great, but it can be pushed in many different ways. 
For example, having a better layout, as you said, is very important.

Another one, is a context is needed. And this context has to be exposed to the inspected objects. For example, what if I want to have a particular syntax highlighting, or code completion? What if I want to have the interaction RTZoomableView in a view? But only for a particular inspector?

Cheers,
Alexandre
-- 
_,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

On Apr 29, 2016, at 4:48 AM, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

<side-by-side.png>

<on-top.png>

Peter

Reply | Threaded
|

Andrei Chis
In reply to this post by jfabry
Hi Peter,

I made a quick prototype of a playground that stacks the fist two panes vertically and allows resizing of those panes. You can change to make the resize horizontal.

You can load the class and execute 'GTPlaygroundVertical open'.
Bare in mind that it's just a quick prototype. It works well but it has bugs (you cannot close panes in the inspector, the title of the inspector had to be there, initially the code take only a small place, etc)

Cheers,
Andrei

Inline image 1)

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 2:44 PM, Johan Fabry <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Apr 29, 2016, at 09:03, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:

But at least I can add it to my todo and see if it can be improved…

Ah well, the SpecEasel was a quick example not meant to be used intensively, which is why there is no syntax highlighting. If you change the text widget for a Rubric one and you configure it to be for Smalltalk (there is a setting for that) you should get syntax highlighting and all other bells and whistles for free.

GTPlaygroundVertical.st (1K) Download Attachment