GToolkit

philippeback
I've been working in a data acquisition scenario today and GToolkit proved to be of immense help.

Working in the live application, looking around for data (including file contents), and inspecting it all + live debugging is really a sweet experience.

With CommandShell I may not have to leave the environment...

Phil

Re: GToolkit

kilon.alios
maybe make a video and upload to youtube of your workflow , I am sure I will learn something from it :)

Phil

Re: GToolkit

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Phil,

Thanks for the kind words. I am really happy this experience makes it to the core of Pharo.

Indeed, the goal is to offer a comprehensive set of arguments to get people to not leave the environment. I myself, do my best to not leave it. As soon as I notice that I have to leave the environment, I try to build the tools to help me not do it. For example, this is how the database, file and Pillar support were born.

It would be cool to know the reasons why people have to use other tools. Perhaps we can do something about it.

Cheers,
Doru

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: GToolkit

Esteban A. Maringolo
> Hi Phil,

> It would be cool to know the reasons why people have to use other tools.
> Perhaps we can do something about it.

If it involves text edition or manipulation, I use external tools
because of the lack of certain features in Pharo workspaces (or even
syntax highlighting limits) or due to the comfort I find in using the
same key bindings/shortcuts I use everywhere to edit a csv file, SQL
script, chunk or whatever. That's one of the reasons. :)

Another one is that I found the option to do things externally to be
"safer" than relying on a unique tool to do all the tasks.
"Rule of Composition" and "Rule of Modularity" according to the Unix
Philosophy.
Not to mention the "Rule of Parsimony": Write a big program only when
it is clear by demonstration that nothing else with do. :)

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: GToolkit

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Estaban,

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 3:30 AM, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Phil,

> It would be cool to know the reasons why people have to use other tools.
> Perhaps we can do something about it.

If it involves text edition or manipulation, I use external tools
because of the lack of certain features in Pharo workspaces (or even
syntax highlighting limits) or due to the comfort I find in using the
same key bindings/shortcuts I use everywhere to edit a csv file, SQL
script, chunk or whatever. That's one of the reasons. :)

Could we go into details here? I am genuinely interested in collected these use cases.

As noted before, syntax highlighting is now supported in GToolkit via Rubric. What kind of keybindings are we talking about?

Another one is that I found the option to do things externally to be
"safer" than relying on a unique tool to do all the tasks.
"Rule of Composition" and "Rule of Modularity" according to the Unix
Philosophy.
Not to mention the "Rule of Parsimony": Write a big program only when
it is clear by demonstration that nothing else with do. :)

I think we should not mistaken big for powerful and neither should we do it the other way around. If there is anything we show in Pharo is that we can do small and powerful.

But, please keep in mind that I am referring to activities that you would like to do without leaving your objects.

Cheers,
Doru

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: GToolkit

Esteban A. Maringolo

> Hi Estaban,
>
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 3:30 AM, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

>> > Hi Phil,
>>
>> > It would be cool to know the reasons why people have to use other tools.
>> > Perhaps we can do something about it.
>>
>> If it involves text edition or manipulation, I use external tools
>> because of the lack of certain features in Pharo workspaces (or even
>> syntax highlighting limits) or due to the comfort I find in using the
>> same key bindings/shortcuts I use everywhere to edit a csv file, SQL
>> script, chunk or whatever. That's one of the reasons. :)

> Could we go into details here? I am genuinely interested in collected these
> use cases.

Sure.

> As noted before, syntax highlighting is now supported in GToolkit via
> Rubric.

I haven't used Rubric. So I can't really talk about it.

But text editing speed in Pharo is perceivable slower than, ej,
Notepad++ or gVim.
It won't affect the normal use, because most methods are small, but as
the code gets larger it slows down (exponentially?).

> What kind of keybindings are we talking about?

I'm referring to common Windows keybindings: Ctrl+arrow, Ctrl+Home,
Ctrl+Shift+End, Ctrl+F, Ctrl+H, Ctrl+A, etc. Some are supported by
Pharo, others don't.

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo