GToolkit

philippeback
I've been working in a data acquisition scenario today and GToolkit proved to be of immense help.

Working in the live application, looking around for data (including file contents), and inspecting it all + live debugging is really a sweet experience.

With CommandShell I may not have to leave the environment...

Phil

Re: [Pharo-dev] GToolkit

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Phil,

Thanks for the kind words. I am really happy this experience makes it to the core of Pharo.

Indeed, the goal is to offer a comprehensive set of arguments to get people to not leave the environment. I myself, do my best to not leave it. As soon as I notice that I have to leave the environment, I try to build the tools to help me not do it. For example, this is how the database, file and Pillar support were born.

It would be cool to know the reasons why people have to use other tools. Perhaps we can do something about it.

Cheers,
Doru

--

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: [Pharo-dev] GToolkit

abergel
I personally leave the G environment only when I have to edit code or run tests.

We have put quite some effort on hapao, who test coverage tool. We will soon announce it. It is already integrated in the G environment.

Alexandre

Le 14-09-2014 à 14:53, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

Offray
I'm trying to live more and more on Pharo/Moose/Roassal. Now My
computing experience resides outside of them, in browsing the web
(firefox), reading mail (thunderbird), reading/annotating pdfs (okular),
organizing readings (Docear) and organizing writings (Leo Editor,
IPython notebooks), shell (zsh) and file browsing (kde/dolphin). My
attempt is to replace Leo for writing and after that Docear for mind
mapping of readings (right now I'm wondering if there is any Smalltalk
library to read table of contents of dvju documents).

Anyway, living more and more inside Pharo/Roassal/Moose and having a way
to have Pharo more connected with the common computing use experience in
a symbiotic way is a really intriguing idea.

Cheers,

Offray

On 09/14/2014 04:46 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> I personally leave the G environment only when I have to edit code or run tests.
>
> We have put quite some effort on hapao, who test coverage tool. We will soon
> announce it. It is already integrated in the G environment.
>
> Alexandre
>
> Le 14-09-2014 à 14:53, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> a écrit :
>
>> Hi Phil,
>>
>> Thanks for the kind words. I am really happy this experience makes it to the
>> core of Pharo.
>>
>> Indeed, the goal is to offer a comprehensive set of arguments to get people to
>> not leave the environment. I myself, do my best to not leave it. As soon as I
>> notice that I have to leave the environment, I try to build the tools to help
>> me not do it. For example, this is how the database, file and Pillar support
>> were born.
>>
>> It would be cool to know the reasons why people have to use other tools.
>> Perhaps we can do something about it.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 6:14 PM, [hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]> <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>     I've been working in a data acquisition scenario today and GToolkit proved
>>     to be of immense help.
>>
>>     Working in the live application, looking around for data (including file
>>     contents), and inspecting it all + live debugging is really a sweet
>>     experience.
>>
>>     With CommandShell I may not have to leave the environment...
>>

>>     Phil
>>

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com <http://www.tudorgirba.com>
>>
>> "Every thing has its own flow"

Re: [Pharo-dev] GToolkit

philippeback

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 12:22 AM, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm trying to live more and more on Pharo/Moose/Roassal. Now My computing experience resides outside of them, in browsing the web (firefox), reading mail (thunderbird), reading/annotating pdfs (okular), organizing readings (Docear) and organizing writings (Leo Editor, IPython notebooks), shell (zsh) and file browsing (kde/dolphin). My attempt is to replace Leo for writing and after that Docear for mind mapping of readings (right now I'm wondering if there is any Smalltalk library to read table of contents of dvju documents).

Anyway, living more and more inside Pharo/Roassal/Moose and having a way to have Pharo more connected with the common computing use experience in a symbiotic way is a really intriguing idea.

I wonder how we could leverage something like Samsung's Gear VR.

GT + Roassal + Woden + custom tools and a swiveling chair, with a couple arduino-based hacks. Mmmh. That would be cool. And definitely futuristic.