GTools (GTPlayground and GTInspector) integrated

12

Re: GTools (GTPlayground and GTInspector) integrated

Andrei Chis
Ok. I'll do that.

Cheers,
Andrei

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 5:46 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

when fixing with configuration, this is the procedure:

1) you have to copy the configuration into the Inbox (so we keep history).
2) You complete the fields: “ConfigurationOf” and “ConfigurationVersion”. In your case, is:

ConfigurationOf = GTPlayground
ConfigurationVersion = 1.0.1

3) *If* you have some preload or postload scripts to execute, you can fill the corresponding fields.

cheers,
Esteban

On 30 Sep 2014, at 17:39, Andrei Chis <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks.

Is there a way to get a diff of the changes introduced by this configuration? (something like when working with slices)

Andrei

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 5:35 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
new project GTools created in fogbugz :)
Esteban

On 30 Sep 2014, at 17:22, Andrei Chis <[hidden email]> wrote:

I guess a new category would make sense.
It would at least make it easy to find and keep track of those bugs related to the GTools

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 5:00 PM, Nicolai Hess <[hidden email]> wrote:
… that :)
Which means that now we have a long way to polish them until Pharo4 release.

Please test and provide feedback :)

Esteban

Great!

How about a new Project category in fogbugz for GTools
or should we use just "Tools"?

Nicolai

Re: GTools (GTPlayground and GTInspector) integrated

EstebanLM
still nothing.
So now cmd+o does not work, because it collides with cmd+o+[others].
I hope now we are going to take this and move forward :)

Esteban

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 6:40 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

stepharo
This is annoying that the backgroundColor is ovverriden by
Glamour-Morphic-Theme.
Because now backgroundColor has been removed from the system and the
Polymorph-Widgets is dirty.
and I lost 40 min because I thought that this was my new changes that
were producing this.
Now if I reintroduce backgroundColor then Glamour is dirty. So I will do
it and Glamour should merge or I do not know
what.

But we should not integrate systems with override and try to remove
override as much as possible.

> … that :)
> Which means that now we have a long way to polish them until Pharo4 release.
>
> Please test and provide feedback :)
>
> Esteban

Re: GTools (GTPlayground and GTInspector) integrated

Andrei Chis
I added backgroundColor a while back to make Glamour compatible with the dark theme.
We should remove it. Sorry, I forgot about it.

I can make a new version  of glamour and submit a bugfix if you didn't do it already.

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 8:16 PM, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is annoying that the backgroundColor is ovverriden by Glamour-Morphic-Theme.
Because now backgroundColor has been removed from the system and the Polymorph-Widgets is dirty.
and I lost 40 min because I thought that this was my new changes that were producing this.
Now if I reintroduce backgroundColor then Glamour is dirty. So I will do it and Glamour should merge or I do not know
what.

But we should not integrate systems with override and try to remove override as much as possible.

… that :)
Which means that now we have a long way to polish them until Pharo4 release.

Please test and provide feedback :)

Esteban

Re: GTools (GTPlayground and GTInspector) integrated

Nicolai Hess
Looking at all those red exclamation marks, it looks like
there is still much to do.

Not documenting dozens of Announcement subclasses, ok, but

RubTextComposer has many many instvars.
RubParagraph has nearly 100 methods
RubTextEditor has over 200 methods.
(These are only some examples of classes that look important).

This is a whole new Text/Editor/Model-Framework with up to no
documentation.

The example widgets look great, and maybe Rubric is a good and easy to learn
framework, but seriously, we should do better.

… that :)
Which means that now we have a long way to polish them until Pharo4 release.

Please test and provide feedback :)

Esteban

PharoScreenshot.png (54K) Download Attachment

Re: GTools (GTPlayground and GTInspector) integrated

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

On 30 Sep 2014, at 23:50, Nicolai Hess <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Looking at all those red exclamation marks, it looks like
> there is still much to do.
>
> Not documenting dozens of Announcement subclasses, ok, but
>
> RubTextComposer has many many instvars.
> RubParagraph has nearly 100 methods
> RubTextEditor has over 200 methods.
> (These are only some examples of classes that look important).
>
> This is a whole new Text/Editor/Model-Framework with up to no
> documentation.
>
> The example widgets look great, and maybe Rubric is a good and easy to learn
> framework, but seriously, we should do better.

Indeed, the same is true for some GT classes (I was looking at Glamour-Morphic-Pager-Morphic): no (a few) class comments, let alone method comments.

Being a default part of Pharo is an honour, it will push you further, but it comes with a big responsibility.

> … that :)
> Which means that now we have a long way to polish them until Pharo4 release.
>
> Please test and provide feedback :)
>
> Esteban
>
> <PharoScreenshot.png>

Re: GTools (GTPlayground and GTInspector) integrated

Tudor Girba-2

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 11:50 PM, Nicolai Hess <[hidden email]> wrote:
Looking at all those red exclamation marks, it looks like
there is still much to do.

Not documenting dozens of Announcement subclasses, ok, but

RubTextComposer has many many instvars.
RubParagraph has nearly 100 methods
RubTextEditor has over 200 methods.
(These are only some examples of classes that look important).
This is a whole new Text/Editor/Model-Framework with up to no
documentation.

The example widgets look great, and maybe Rubric is a good and easy to learn
framework, but seriously, we should do better.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, we will do better. Of course, people can join if they want to.

Doru

"Every thing has its own flow"

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 11:54 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 30 Sep 2014, at 23:50, Nicolai Hess <[hidden email]> wrote:

Indeed, the same is true for some GT classes (I was looking at Glamour-Morphic-Pager-Morphic): no (a few) class comments, let alone method comments.

Glamour is the engine, GT is the application of it for the IDE of Pharo. And yes, the Morphic binding of Glamour has few comments. This should be improved.

Being a default part of Pharo is an honour, it will push you further, but it comes with a big responsibility.

I am not sure how to position this remark. It looks like you wanted to make us feel ashamed in some way. I think we showed that we do take it seriously. We are sorry if our effort is not be good enough, but we will continue working and asking other people to join.

This brings me to the second thing: I think you meant to say that it will push *us* further :). We need more people to put effort in this. Not for GT, but for Pharo.

Cheers,
Doru

"Every thing has its own flow"

On 01 Oct 2014, at 06:45, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 11:54 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 30 Sep 2014, at 23:50, Nicolai Hess <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Indeed, the same is true for some GT classes (I was looking at Glamour-Morphic-Pager-Morphic): no (a few) class comments, let alone method comments.
>
> Glamour is the engine, GT is the application of it for the IDE of Pharo. And yes, the Morphic binding of Glamour has few comments. This should be improved.

The comments are important for us to be able to understand all this new stuff.

> Being a default part of Pharo is an honour, it will push you further, but it comes with a big responsibility.
>
> I am not sure how to position this remark. It looks like you wanted to make us feel ashamed in some way. I think we showed that we do take it seriously. We are sorry if our effort is not be good enough, but we will continue working and asking other people to join.

Haha, no shaming, of course.

> This brings me to the second thing: I think you meant to say that it will push *us* further :). We need more people to put effort in this. Not for GT, but for Pharo.

Sure it is a group thing from now on. But you have to understand: we just replaced two very important tools with something totally new, I now miss tons of stuff, and I want most of it back, in some way or another.

On the other hand, I too see the potential and the new, additional features.

I promise, I will make a list ;-)

> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> --