GUI Builder

Roman G
Im sorry if this a repeated question. I´m a newbie to Pharo. I would like to know what are the available tools for designing GUIs for desktop applications (a la Delphi/Visual Basic). In the Pharo by Example book there is only one chapter dedicated to GUI building by code.

Thanks in advance.
Saludos. Roman.

Re: GUI Builder

jfabry
Hi Roman,

in Pharo there is no GUI for building GUI’s, sadly. You will need to make your GUI by writing code. The default framework for that is Spec. Documentation for Spec is a work in progress, you can find a booklet (also under construction) here: https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/view/Books/job/BuildingUIWithSpec/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/SpecBooklet.pdf

--
Does this mail seem too brief? Sorry for that, I don’t mean to be rude! Please see http://emailcharter.org .

Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD and RyCh labs  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

On 14 Oct 2016, at 16:32, Roman G <[hidden email]> wrote:

Im sorry if this a repeated question. I´m a newbie to Pharo. I would like to know what are the available tools for designing GUIs for desktop applications (a la Delphi/Visual Basic). In the Pharo by Example book there is only one chapter dedicated to GUI building by code.

Thanks in advance.
Saludos. Roman.

Re: GUI Builder

kilon.alios
You got 2 options

a) for regular GUIs a combination of halos and inspector will give the information you need about the proper location, size etc and allow you to fine tune your morphs far easier than doing it by code

b) for custom GUIs you divert the design to a proper design application like gimp , photoshop or blender and create the look you want with the elegance of custom design, you can take a look on my ChronosManager project at Catalog browser as an example of how you can import images with transparency

NON PHARO OPTIONS

c) this option I have not tried but it should be possible to design also a custom GUI using a vector designer , like adobe illustrator or Inkscape and import those vectors as svgs formats back to Pharo. Athens has an SVG importer and so does Roassal.

d) also you can use HTML and Seaside/PharoJS and leverage well know technologies like js dom/html5/CSS as you may be aware there are a ton of tools out there that design GUIs using these technologies

e) you could use my Python bridge to use PyQT that uses QT probably the most powerful GUI out there that also come with a super powerful GUI designer called QTCreator which has evolved it full blown IDE, this one requires knowledge of Python and you may have to modify the bridge to fit your needs

f) if you are not in a hurry I am making a Pharo to Unreal bridge which gives access not only 2D GUIs but also 3D GUIs with the graphic capabilities of AAA games and the added bonus of Virtual Reality GUIs if you want to blow the minds of your users.

I could carry on but I think you can figure out the rest by yourself.