GUI Frameworks Choice

Adventurer
Hi All,

I'm new to Pharo although not to Smalltalk.  I did dabble with Dolphin about 20 years ago, when it was first being developed, and did some quite cool stuff.

This time around I chose Pharo because I feel that Dolphin has strayed from the pure OO model that I enjoyed back then.

I've chosen a fairly ambitious GUI project as my Pharo primer.  The problem is - which GUI framework to use.  The GUI that I want to build will be static but complex with a menu, 2 toolbars, 20 odd toolbar buttons, and 3 (dockable?) windows, containing Trees, lists and text editors.

Any suggestions on which GUI framework would suit?

I thought about using PolyMorph, but I cannot find the examples in my Pharo 3 image.

Craig

Re: GUI Frameworks Choice

kilon.alios
Pharo has a single AFAIK GUI API , Morphic. Anything else uses Morphic to draw its own widgets so those API are more like helper apis . Which means a good knowledge of morphic will always benefit you. Spec is the new kid in the block and it has been a preferred choice for most pharoers , many pharo widgets that come distributed with pharo are built with Spec. Also Spec is the most documented one with a dedicated chapter at Pharo for the Enterprise book.

On experimental side there is Mars , never tried myself , it gives access to GTK and native gui APIs.

I have also tried to port pyQT to pharo via my project Ephestos, I have run to some problems because QT is very touchy with threads and its also inside a blocking event loop but I have found some workarounds. Cant say when but I will bring QT to Pharo sooner or later.

So my advice would be to give Spec a try for now.

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 10:11 AM, Craig <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

I'm new to Pharo although not to Smalltalk.  I did dabble with Dolphin about 20 years ago, when it was first being developed, and did some quite cool stuff.

This time around I chose Pharo because I feel that Dolphin has strayed from the pure OO model that I enjoyed back then.

I've chosen a fairly ambitious GUI project as my Pharo primer.  The problem is - which GUI framework to use.  The GUI that I want to build will be static but complex with a menu, 2 toolbars, 20 odd toolbar buttons, and 3 (dockable?) windows, containing Trees, lists and text editors.

Any suggestions on which GUI framework would suit?

I thought about using PolyMorph, but I cannot find the examples in my Pharo 3 image.

Craig

Re: GUI Frameworks Choice

Tim Mackinnon
An approachable example of what you can do (I believe its using Spec as its UI glue) is PharoLauncher - it might be something worth studying as an example? It’s on Smalltalk Hub.

Tim

On 17 Oct 2014, at 08:11, Craig <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm new to Pharo although not to Smalltalk.  I did dabble with Dolphin about 20 years ago, when it was first being developed, and did some quite cool stuff.
>
> This time around I chose Pharo because I feel that Dolphin has strayed from the pure OO model that I enjoyed back then.
>
> I've chosen a fairly ambitious GUI project as my Pharo primer.  The problem is - which GUI framework to use.  The GUI that I want to build will be static but complex with a menu, 2 toolbars, 20 odd toolbar buttons, and 3 (dockable?) windows, containing Trees, lists and text editors.
>
> Any suggestions on which GUI framework would suit?
>
> I thought about using PolyMorph, but I cannot find the examples in my Pharo 3 image.
>
> Craig

Re: GUI Frameworks Choice

stepharo
Hi craig

The examples are in the class WidgetExample or ExampleWidget. Now we are
not happy from a design point of view of having all these widgets
creation on UITheme.
You can also use Spec. There is a draft of chapters on
https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/PharoForTheEnterprise/838/artifact/

Stef

On 17/10/14 09:11, Craig wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm new to Pharo although not to Smalltalk.  I did dabble with Dolphin about 20 years ago, when it was first being developed, and did some quite cool stuff.
>
> This time around I chose Pharo because I feel that Dolphin has strayed from the pure OO model that I enjoyed back then.
>
> I've chosen a fairly ambitious GUI project as my Pharo primer.  The problem is - which GUI framework to use.  The GUI that I want to build will be static but complex with a menu, 2 toolbars, 20 odd toolbar buttons, and 3 (dockable?) windows, containing Trees, lists and text editors.
>
> Any suggestions on which GUI framework would suit?
>
> I thought about using PolyMorph, but I cannot find the examples in my Pharo 3 image.
>
> Craig

Re: GUI Frameworks Choice

Pavel Krivanek-3
Hi Craig,

try to look at Phobos frmework: https://code.google.com/p/phobos-framework/

Cheers,
-- Pavel

Dne pátek 17. října 2014 Craig <[hidden email]> napsal(a):
Hi All,

I'm new to Pharo although not to Smalltalk.  I did dabble with Dolphin about 20 years ago, when it was first being developed, and did some quite cool stuff.

This time around I chose Pharo because I feel that Dolphin has strayed from the pure OO model that I enjoyed back then.

I've chosen a fairly ambitious GUI project as my Pharo primer.  The problem is - which GUI framework to use.  The GUI that I want to build will be static but complex with a menu, 2 toolbars, 20 odd toolbar buttons, and 3 (dockable?) windows, containing Trees, lists and text editors.

Any suggestions on which GUI framework would suit?

I thought about using PolyMorph, but I cannot find the examples in my Pharo 3 image.

Craig

Re: GUI Frameworks Choice

jfabry
To complement Stef’s comment: Spec is the default UI builder framework for Pharo and considered as ‘the way to go’ for building user interfaces of the kind that you are describing. Considering the features of Spec, I think it should have virtually all that you need and will be certainly much easier to use than lower-level Morphic stuff.

Check out the chapter that Stef pointed out, and if there are any issues or questions do not hesitate to post on this list!

On Oct 17, 2014, at 1:29 PM, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi craig
>
> The examples are in the class WidgetExample or ExampleWidget. Now we are not happy from a design point of view of having all these widgets
> creation on UITheme.
> You can also use Spec. There is a draft of chapters on
> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/PharoForTheEnterprise/838/artifact/
>
> Stef
>

> On 17/10/14 09:11, Craig wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm new to Pharo although not to Smalltalk.  I did dabble with Dolphin about 20 years ago, when it was first being developed, and did some quite cool stuff.
>>
>> This time around I chose Pharo because I feel that Dolphin has strayed from the pure OO model that I enjoyed back then.
>>
>> I've chosen a fairly ambitious GUI project as my Pharo primer.  The problem is - which GUI framework to use.  The GUI that I want to build will be static but complex with a menu, 2 toolbars, 20 odd toolbar buttons, and 3 (dockable?) windows, containing Trees, lists and text editors.
>>
>> Any suggestions on which GUI framework would suit?
>>
>> I thought about using PolyMorph, but I cannot find the examples in my Pharo 3 image.
>>
>> Craig

---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---

Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD lab  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

Re: GUI Frameworks Choice

Adventurer
From: stepharo

>Hi craig
>
>The examples are in the class WidgetExample or ExampleWidget. Now we are not happy from a design point of view of having all these widgets creation on UITheme.
>You can also use Spec. There is a draft of chapters on https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/PharoForTheEnterprise/838/artifact/
>
>Stef

Thanks Stef, this documentation will make it lot easier to use Spec.

Craig

Re: GUI Frameworks Choice

stepharo
I should do a pass on the Spec chapters.
So if you have feedback I'm interested.
I plan to integrate the contributions made by Stefan Eggermont which
were never considered.

Stef

>> Hi craig
>>
>> The examples are in the class WidgetExample or ExampleWidget. Now we are not happy from a design point of view of having all these widgets creation on UITheme.
>> You can also use Spec. There is a draft of chapters on https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/PharoForTheEnterprise/838/artifact/
>>
>> Stef
>
> Thanks Stef, this documentation will make it lot easier to use Spec.
>
> Craig

Re: GUI Frameworks Choice

Annick
Hi Steph,

I sent a correction of the ImageSpec example some time ago.

Don’t forget to mention how to put a white background ….

Annick

Le 20 oct. 2014 à 22:00, stepharo <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> I should do a pass on the Spec chapters.
> So if you have feedback I'm interested.
> I plan to integrate the contributions made by Stefan Eggermont which were never considered.
>
> Stef
>
>>> Hi craig
>>>
>>> The examples are in the class WidgetExample or ExampleWidget. Now we are not happy from a design point of view of having all these widgets creation on UITheme.
>>> You can also use Spec. There is a draft of chapters on https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/PharoForTheEnterprise/838/artifact/
>>>
>>> Stef
>>
>> Thanks Stef, this documentation will make it lot easier to use Spec.
>>
>> Craig

Re: GUI Frameworks Choice

stepharo
Ok I will do a pass with johan and we will ask people to read the new
version.