GUI how to screencast available

laurent laffont
Hi,

as I'm beginning to understand how to write a GUI in Pharo, I've made a screencast to show basic layout techniques with panels and buttons:

(or on my blog :) with source code http://magaloma.blogspot.com/2010/01/gui-et-pharo.html )

It seems that several people have or plan to record screencasts on Pharo. If you can send me links, I can put all of them on a single blog. For example http://pharocasts.org ;).

Cheers,

Laurent

Re: GUI how to screencast available

Gary Chambers-4

Very nice... just shows how quick things can be with Pharo...
Might be nice to do another, leveraging Polymorph helpers for something more complex but just as easy ;-)

Regards, Gary

Re: GUI how to screencast available

good idea.

Stef

On Jan 8, 2010, at 9:01 PM, laurent laffont wrote:

> Hi,
>
> as I'm beginning to understand how to write a GUI in Pharo, I've made a screencast to show basic layout techniques with panels and buttons:
>
> http://vimeo.com/8619593
>
> (or on my blog :) with source code http://magaloma.blogspot.com/2010/01/gui-et-pharo.html )
>

> It seems that several people have or plan to record screencasts on Pharo. If you can send me links, I can put all of them on a single blog. For example http://pharocasts.org ;).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Laurent

Re: GUI how to screencast available

laurent this is reallllllly cool!
I love videos!
Please do more

Stef

On Jan 8, 2010, at 9:01 PM, laurent laffont wrote:

> Hi,
>
> as I'm beginning to understand how to write a GUI in Pharo, I've made a screencast to show basic layout techniques with panels and buttons:
>
> http://vimeo.com/8619593
>
> (or on my blog :) with source code http://magaloma.blogspot.com/2010/01/gui-et-pharo.html )
>

> It seems that several people have or plan to record screencasts on Pharo. If you can send me links, I can put all of them on a single blog. For example http://pharocasts.org ;).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Laurent

Re: GUI how to screencast available

I found that the addMorph: fullFrame: nil
to indicate that the button expand into it container is not really a sexy interface.

On Jan 8, 2010, at 9:01 PM, laurent laffont wrote:

> Hi,
>
> as I'm beginning to understand how to write a GUI in Pharo, I've made a screencast to show basic layout techniques with panels and buttons:
>
> http://vimeo.com/8619593
>
> (or on my blog :) with source code http://magaloma.blogspot.com/2010/01/gui-et-pharo.html )
>

> It seems that several people have or plan to record screencasts on Pharo. If you can send me links, I can put all of them on a single blog. For example http://pharocasts.org ;).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Laurent

Re: GUI how to screencast available

Laurent you do not need () in
        mainPanel color: (Color blue)

On Jan 8, 2010, at 9:01 PM, laurent laffont wrote:

> Hi,
>
> as I'm beginning to understand how to write a GUI in Pharo, I've made a screencast to show basic layout techniques with panels and buttons:
>
> http://vimeo.com/8619593
>
> (or on my blog :) with source code http://magaloma.blogspot.com/2010/01/gui-et-pharo.html )
>

> It seems that several people have or plan to record screencasts on Pharo. If you can send me links, I can put all of them on a single blog. For example http://pharocasts.org ;).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Laurent

Re: GUI how to screencast available

laurent laffont
The ( not intuitive )  thing I spent a full hour to understand is on :

LayoutFrame
        fractions: (0@0.99 corner: 1@1)

0.99 means "do not show splitter" as in SystemWindow>>addMorph:fullFrame:

aLayoutFrame topFraction = 0
ifTrue: [aLayoutFrame topOffset: top]
ifFalse: [aLayoutFrame topFraction = 1 ifFalse: [
aLayoutFrame topOffset: top + ProportionalSplitterMorph splitterWidth]].

May be PluggablePanelMorph>>addMorph:fullFrame: should have an equivalent implementation as in SystemWindow for more consistency .... but I've just start learning morphic so I think there's better ways to achieve the same layout as in the screencast.

Laurent

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 9:58 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
I found that the addMorph: fullFrame: nil
to indicate that the button expand into it container is not really a sexy interface.

On Jan 8, 2010, at 9:01 PM, laurent laffont wrote:

> Hi,
>
> as I'm beginning to understand how to write a GUI in Pharo, I've made a screencast to show basic layout techniques with panels and buttons:
>
> http://vimeo.com/8619593
>
> (or on my blog :) with source code http://magaloma.blogspot.com/2010/01/gui-et-pharo.html )
>

> It seems that several people have or plan to record screencasts on Pharo. If you can send me links, I can put all of them on a single blog. For example http://pharocasts.org ;).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Laurent

Re: GUI how to screencast available

Henrik Sperre Johansen
On 08.01.2010 21:01, laurent laffont wrote:

> Hi,
>
> as I'm beginning to understand how to write a GUI in Pharo, I've made
> a screencast to show basic layout techniques with panels and buttons:
>
> http://vimeo.com/8619593
>
> Cheers,
>
> Laurent

I had to laugh when you implemented the red button in debugger, clicked
proceed, then automatically pressed yes in the popup to save the
changes, then promply got a new debugger when clicking the button again,
since the dialog actually reads "Is it ok to discard these changes? Yes/No"

Maybe we should change that? ;)

Cheers,
Henry

On 08.01.2010 22:40, Henrik Sperre Johansen wrote:

> On 08.01.2010 21:01, laurent laffont wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> as I'm beginning to understand how to write a GUI in Pharo, I've made
>> a screencast to show basic layout techniques with panels and buttons:
>>
>> http://vimeo.com/8619593
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Laurent
>>
> I had to laugh when you implemented the red button in debugger, clicked
> proceed, then automatically pressed yes in the popup to save the
> changes, then promply got a new debugger when clicking the button again,
> since the dialog actually reads "Is it ok to discard these changes? Yes/No"
>
> Maybe we should change that? ;)
>
> Cheers,
> Henry

Btw, the laughing was because I've done that too many times to recount
myself :P
I suggest giving the Save/Discard/Cancel options instead.

Cheers,
Henry

Re: GUI how to screencast available

laurent laffont

Btw, the laughing was because I've done that too many times to recount
myself :P
I suggest giving the Save/Discard/Cancel options instead.

+1

Laurent

Cheers,
Henry

Re: GUI how to screencast available

Rob Evans-2

> as I'm beginning to understand how to write a GUI in Pharo, I've made a screencast to show basic layout techniques with panels and buttons:
>
> http://vimeo.com/8619593

You rock! IMO, screencasts like these speak volumes and help newbies (like me) not only understand the power of smalltalk but, more importantly, help us make the shift away from our conditioning with respect to how software is developed.

Good on ya!

On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 3:52 AM, Objectiveous <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> as I'm beginning to understand how to write a GUI in Pharo, I've made a screencast to show basic layout techniques with panels and buttons:
>
> http://vimeo.com/8619593

You rock! IMO, screencasts like these speak volumes and help newbies (like me) not only understand the power of smalltalk but, more importantly, help us make the shift away from our conditioning with respect to how software is developed.

Thank you.... but I only show what developpers who really rocks have done ;). But I think screencasts are a good way to learn, especially in a Smalltalk environment. As Ramon Leon wrote on his blog "I'm still amazed by how many people think they can grok Smalltalk by seeing syntax examples." http://onsmalltalk.com/why-smalltalk

So I'm going to start a Pharo screencast blog .... (a bit like http://railscasts.com/ which is really good).

I need screencasts !! Send me links !!

Laurent

Re: GUI how to screencast available