GUI-like web apps on Aida

Janko Mivšek
Dear Aiders,

I just looked at video of Seaside BOF on OOPSLA [1], where Aida was
mentioned quite some times (thanks guys!) but what makes me thinking is
an experience Giorgio Ferraris had when trying to adapt his existing
framework for building GUI apps for the web ones. He first tried with
Aida but fails, then he managed to do that with Seaside.

This shows clearly that Aida is designed for pure web apps while for
GUI-like web apps not so much. We can say for Seaside just the opposite:
it is better for GUI-like web apps but not so for pure web ones. From
this it is not hard to deduce why Giorgio had problems with adapting his
framework to Aida.

So, question now is how to downgrade Aida to deal with such GUI like web
apps?

First subquestion obviously is if this is possible at all. Answer: yes
it is. I did such an app for a customer a year ago. Maybe it is a time
to make a "best practices" or even a tutorial for such apps as well?

Best regards
Janko

[1] seaside.avi.torrent at http://goran.krampe.se/oopsla2008/,
     look at 29:30 and 30:40.

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: GUI-like web apps on Aida

giorgiof
Hi, Janko,

I'm the one called, and I'm happy to try to explain (you know, because
we talked a lot by phone).

What I did using Seaside was an application that was a WEB version of
an existing back end application written in VW and using the VW GUI
framework.
The only particular  thing is that my application had all of the
windows generated at run time, based on meta description of them, so,
what I wanted to do was to generate code for web instead of code for
the VW GUI (and some other minor stuff, like manage multiple processes
and pooling connection to the db, thing I was not doing on the GUI
app).

I tried with AIda, and what I was able to understand  (and this can be
my fault) is that for Aida you have to follow strict rules that were
not the one I was following.

I found easier to adapt to Seaside.

This is the playground I was talking of.
HTH

ciao

Giorgio

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 12:53 PM, Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Aiders,
>
> I just looked at video of Seaside BOF on OOPSLA [1], where Aida was
> mentioned quite some times (thanks guys!) but what makes me thinking is
> an experience Giorgio Ferraris had when trying to adapt his existing
> framework for building GUI apps for the web ones. He first tried with
> Aida but fails, then he managed to do that with Seaside.
>
> This shows clearly that Aida is designed for pure web apps while for
> GUI-like web apps not so much. We can say for Seaside just the opposite:
> it is better for GUI-like web apps but not so for pure web ones. From
> this it is not hard to deduce why Giorgio had problems with adapting his
> framework to Aida.
>
> So, question now is how to downgrade Aida to deal with such GUI like web
> apps?
>
> First subquestion obviously is if this is possible at all. Answer: yes
> it is. I did such an app for a customer a year ago. Maybe it is a time
> to make a "best practices" or even a tutorial for such apps as well?
>
> Best regards
> Janko
>
> [1] seaside.avi.torrent at http://goran.krampe.se/oopsla2008/,
>     look at 29:30 and 30:40.
>
> --
> Janko Mivšek
> AIDA/Web
> Smalltalk Web Application Server
> http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: GUI-like web apps on Aida

Janko Mivšek
Hi Giorgio,

 > I tried with AIda, and what I was able to understand  (and this can be
 > my fault) is that for Aida you have to follow strict rules that were
 > not the one I was following.

This is exactly the problem you had and which I didn't notice soon
enough when try you to help then. Following the strict rules, well as
always the rules are there to be broken :) and in this case too.

What you do in such case is to downgrade MVC framework to just in one
domain object and one App, say Booking and BookingApp. In this case you
have then only one booking open at one time and App deals with a
workflow through that booking process, from start to end. Then you can
open a new booking, etc.

Yes, we really need to write a guide for making GUI-like web apps in
Aida....

Janko