Open this post in threaded view
|

GUI ?

Olivier Auverlot
Hi,

Someone have a good documentation or tutorial for learning how to create
GUI avec Pharo ?

In particuliar, I search a description of the objects like buttons,
fields, treeview , radio buttons, checkbox and the events mechanism.

On the ML, i can read messages about Morphic and Polymorph ? what is the
difference ?

Best regards
Olivier ;-)

www.auverlot.fr

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: GUI ?

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Olivier,

There is a growing body of good information.  You might start here:

http://www.pharo-project.org/documentation/screencasts
   http://book.pharo-project.org/

Morphic is a long-standing UI framework for Squeak, taken from Self.  Morphic was a nice simulation environment, but Squeak's GUI really needed someone to either replace Morphic entirely, or to at least use it to simulate a user interface consistent with the "feel" (what the GUI does in response to user input) users have learned to expect.  The first attempt to do that was Jim Benson's Zurgle, which the Squeak community completely marginalized.  If Zurgle had a failing, it was dependence on external files, but a simple theme could have addressed the concerns.

Time passes.  Gary Chambers of Pinesoft announced Polymorph, and offered to make it available if anyone were interested in using it.  A repeat of Zurgle's trip to oblivion seemed likely, but fortunately Pharo had begun to take shape, and it was not long before Polymorph became its default user interface framework.

In short, Polymorph is a collection of widgets built on top of Morphic.  It provides some impressive graphics, but the "feel" is the critical feature.

Welcome aboard!

Bill

Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2011 5:43 AM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [Pharo-project] GUI ?

Hi,

GUI avec Pharo ?

difference ?

Best regards
Olivier ;-)

www.auverlot.fr

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse
In reply to this post by Olivier Auverlot

Start to have a look at
        - screencast of laurent
        - UITheme examples
        - there are examples of TreeMorphTree

Of course a couple of real chapters would really help but no time and knowledge from my side.
Polymorph is a layer on top of morphic that we should continue to totally absorb.
The idea was that Polymorph was extending Morphic in a time where it was difficult to get anything changed
so subclassing was used when now we could merge the functionality to the system. I would like to do
a pair programming session with gary to fix that.

Stef

> Hi,
>
> Someone have a good documentation or tutorial for learning how to create GUI avec Pharo ?
>
> In particuliar, I search a description of the objects like buttons, fields, treeview , radio buttons, checkbox and the events mechanism.
>
> On the ML, i can read messages about Morphic and Polymorph ? what is the difference ?
>
> Best regards
> Olivier ;-)
>
> www.auverlot.fr
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

laurent laffont
In reply to this post by Schwab,Wilhelm K
IMHO actually the way to go (and document - I can help) is Polymorph.

On Pharocasts http://www.pharocasts.com/search/label/gui

Also look at UITheme class, examples protocol.

Laurent.

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 1:32 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:
Olivier,

There is a growing body of good information.  You might start here:

http://www.pharo-project.org/documentation/screencasts
  http://book.pharo-project.org/

Morphic is a long-standing UI framework for Squeak, taken from Self.  Morphic was a nice simulation environment, but Squeak's GUI really needed someone to either replace Morphic entirely, or to at least use it to simulate a user interface consistent with the "feel" (what the GUI does in response to user input) users have learned to expect.  The first attempt to do that was Jim Benson's Zurgle, which the Squeak community completely marginalized.  If Zurgle had a failing, it was dependence on external files, but a simple theme could have addressed the concerns.

Time passes.  Gary Chambers of Pinesoft announced Polymorph, and offered to make it available if anyone were interested in using it.  A repeat of Zurgle's trip to oblivion seemed likely, but fortunately Pharo had begun to take shape, and it was not long before Polymorph became its default user interface framework.

In short, Polymorph is a collection of widgets built on top of Morphic.  It provides some impressive graphics, but the "feel" is the critical feature.

Welcome aboard!

Bill

Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2011 5:43 AM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [Pharo-project] GUI ?

Hi,

GUI avec Pharo ?

difference ?

Best regards
Olivier ;-)

www.auverlot.fr

Reply | Threaded
|

Olivier Auverlot
In reply to this post by Schwab,Wilhelm K
Le 03/03/11 13:32, Schwab,Wilhelm K a écrit :
Morphic is a long-standing UI framework for Squeak, taken from Self.  Morphic was a nice simulation environment, but Squeak's GUI really needed someone to either replace Morphic entirely, or to at least use it to simulate a user interface consistent with the "feel" (what the GUI does in response to user input) users have learned to expect.  The first attempt to do that was Jim Benson's Zurgle, which the Squeak community completely marginalized.  If Zurgle had a failing, it was dependence on external files, but a simple theme could have addressed the concerns.

Time passes.  Gary Chambers of Pinesoft announced Polymorph, and offered to make it available if anyone were interested in using it.  A repeat of Zurgle's trip to oblivion seemed likely, but fortunately Pharo had begun to take shape, and it was not long before Polymorph became its default user interface framework.

In short, Polymorph is a collection of widgets built on top of Morphic.  It provides some impressive graphics, but the "feel" is the critical feature.
Bill,

Thank you for that explanation. I understand the situation better.

Best regards
Olivier ;-)

www.auverlot.fr