Game prototype with Amber deployed

Clément Béra
Hello amber community,

Eight months ago I met Nicolas Petton, discovered Amber and developed a game prototype with it. Recently Nicolas Petton asked me if I could deploy it to show examples of what you can do with Amber. So I spent several hours reading / updating my old code, updating to latest amber version and I deployed a beta version here :

According to my tests on Mac OS X, on :
- Firefox it works fine
- Google Chrome it works fine the first time (cache problem) with the best animation experience but there is a problem when you refresh the page
- Safari it works fine the first time but there is a huge cache problem, so you need to close safari and reopen it to reopen the page.

There is no AI, so you have to play two player on the same computer for now. Unfortunately I disabled a lot of functionality in this deployed version because most of them were not stable but only prototypes. Also, I developed that when I was a student and I am ashamed of the bad quality of the code ... I'm going to refactor and work on it in the next two months to go to a true release at the end of May. And I'll fix this cache problem on Safari and Chrome :). I let on purpose amber in non deploy mode so you can browse the bad code if you want to (and to show it is open source).

This is my first use of git (I used monticello and svn only before) and the repo seems to be not correct. I will change that so the beta version link might be obselete in a few days.

By the way congratulations for Amber it is really cool.

Are the workspace DoIt working the same way in helios that in the previous browser ? Like you need to declare temp variables in the contrary of all the other smalltalk systems ? If so I'd like to hack in your compiler Nico to change that.

Re: Game prototype with Amber deployed

Bernat Romagosa
I like it! Cool job :)

I'd suggest adding a few animations and some sound effects. Check out http://www.freesound.org/, a free and open sound library. It's where I get pretty much all sounds for my games.

Cheers!

2013/4/5 Clément Bera <[hidden email]>
[...]

Bernat Romagosa.

Re: Game prototype with Amber deployed

Clément Béra
Ok I will look at the sounds. Thanks.

2013/4/5 Bernat Romagosa <[hidden email]>
I like it! Cool job :)

I'd suggest adding a few animations and some sound effects. Check out http://www.freesound.org/, a free and open sound library. It's where I get pretty much all sounds for my games.

Have you already developed a game with Amber ? If so can I have the URL to have a look ?

[...]

Mate Virtual Machine Engineer
Bâtiment B 40, avenue Halley 59650 Villeneuve d'Ascq