Garbage collector tuning

Carl Gundel-2
Hey all,

Is there a tuning guide for the garbage collector?  I've managed to improve loading time for our application objects (which can be > 100,000 medium objects consuming more than 200MB of RAM).  It can take several minutes to load.  The VSE version of our app loads in 15 seconds.

Thanks,

-Carl

Re: Garbage collector tuning

Richard Sargent
Administrator
On Tuesday, May 27, 2014 10:34:57 AM UTC-7, Carl Gundel wrote:
Is there a tuning guide for the garbage collector?  I've managed to improve loading time for our application objects (which can be > 100,000 medium objects consuming more than 200MB of RAM).  It can take several minutes to load.  The VSE version of our app loads in 15 seconds.

There are command line options which might be helpful. Look at the -m options in http://www.instantiations.com/docs/86/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=sg/stug50.html.

There are also INI file settings which correspond to those options. http://www.instantiations.com/docs/86/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=sg/stug511.html

Re: Garbage collector tuning

Douglas Swartz

Carl,

You've probably already done this, but minimizing the amount of garbage collections is even better than tuning it.  I don't know what kind of object loading routine you're using, so this may not be applicable.

If there are lots of repetitive strings in the objects you're saving in memory, you can sometimes speed up loading by only keeping one copy of the string. Reading a string from disk, looking it up in a dictionary, and putting the common copy in your object rather than the one read from disk, can be faster then just using the one you read from disk

This may seem unintuitive, but, because it allows the string read from disk to be scavenged very quickly and minimizes the number of objects tenured to old space, it can significantly reduce the number of expensive global garbage collects.

As always, YMMV.

Doug Swartz

On May 27, 2014 12:34 PM, "Carl Gundel" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey all,

Is there a tuning guide for the garbage collector?  I've managed to improve loading time for our application objects (which can be > 100,000 medium objects consuming more than 200MB of RAM).  It can take several minutes to load.  The VSE version of our app loads in 15 seconds.

Thanks,

-Carl

Re: Garbage collector tuning

wobotzen
Hallo
try setting oldSpaceSize to 128---256MB, also you may adjust newSpaceSize and allocationIncrement to a large value,
you can do this using ESGlobalInfo class , it is possible to do this dynamically , avoid calling System globalGarbageCollect by your application