GemSource back on-line

1 message Options

GemSource back on-line

Dale Henrichs
Early this morning we had more hardware troubles in our data center. we
lost two disk drives on the machine that hosts seaside.gemstone,con
along with a few other applications. Despite using RAID 5 we had quite a
few files corrupted on the server, including the GemStone db files (this
isn't supposed to happen!) .

GemSource hasn't been moved to new hardware in the VMWare data center
yet (although this incident should accelerate things a bit:).

Since we're concerned that we may experience more hardware problems
before being able to replace the hardware we've decided to start making
back ups a little more frequently (once every couple of hours instead of
once a day).

I suppose that there is a silverlining. It looks as though the secondary
repository code for bootstrapping Metacello worked pretty well, since I
didn't see anyone complaining about GemSource being down today ... I
know that I was testing ConfigurationOfSeaside30 loads this morning for
quite a while before noticing that GemSource was down (the IT guys had
noticed almost immediately:).

If any of you did notice problems with bootstrapping Metacello during
the day today I'd appreciate it if you dropped me a line with any
details you may have, since I'm interested in bullet proofing that code
as much as possible...

Dale