GemStone '3.0.1' topaz cpu used

dario trussardi
Hi,

i have a  GemStone version '3.0.1' run on Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 (11C74).

The GLASS is update at 1.0-beta.8.7.1.

The Seaside is update at 3.0.6.3.

The web server is based on Lighttpd and i use WAFastCGIAdaptor.

I don't understund when but sometime when the browser display a /examples/counter

  the system answer : 503 - Service Not Available

  The relative topaz process go to 99 % of CPU used, and i need to block it from activities monitoring.

Any idea ?

Thanks,

Dario

Re: GemStone '3.0.1' topaz cpu used

Dale Henrichs
Dario,

I recall that there was an issue on the mac that had to do with running out of some resource ... I don't recall the details ... a reboot of the system restored the resource and things ran fine again ... and Dario I think you were the one the had the problem ...

The standard way of debugging a run away gem is to first get some samples of the smalltalk stack using `kill -USR1 <pid>` several times with a slight delay between kills ... we need several samples to flush the output buffer and to get a find the source of the loop ... Once we get a look at the smalltalk stacks we can move on from there...

Dale
| i have a GemStone version '3.0.1' run on Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2
| (11C74).
|

| The GLASS is update at 1.0-beta.8.7.1.
|

| The Seaside is update at 3.0.6.3.
|

| The web server is based on Lighttpd and i use WAFastCGIAdaptor.
|

| I don't understund when but sometime when the browser display a
| /examples/counter
|

| the system answer : 50 3 - Service Not Available
|

| The relative topaz process go to 99 % of CPU used, and i need to
| block it from activities monitoring.
|

| Any idea ?
|

| Thanks,
|

| Dario

Re: GemStone '3.0.1' topaz cpu used

dario trussardi
Dale,

Dario,

I recall that there was an issue on the mac that had to do with running out of some resource ... I don't recall the details ... a reboot of the system restored the resource and things ran fine again ... and Dario I think you were the one the had the problem ...

Yes, now i remember and i read the hold e-mail about it.

I have do some test on the MacBook.

When on the system run GemStone version '2.4.4.1' i don't find any error:  all works fine.

When on the system run GemStone version '3.0.1'  the system sometimes erase the:

503 - Service Not Available
and after 'sometimes' the relative topaz service go in overload.

I don't understand because and when  the system go in overload.

The system responds crazily.

The standard way of debugging a run away gem

the gem process don't go in overload.

The overload is for the relative  topaz process. ( the system run 4 gem process and 4 topaz process )

is to first get some samples of the smalltalk stack using `kill -USR1 <pid>` several times with a slight delay between kills ... we need several samples to flush the output buffer and to get a find the source of the loop ... Once we get a look at the smalltalk stacks we can move on from there...

I do some times the  kill -USR1 <pid>   for the topaz go to 99% of CPU used.

I don't know what and where the kill command generates.

Perhaps with this information you can understand the source of the problem.

What can I do?

Ciao,

Dario

Dale