GemStone BOF at Smalltalk Solutions 2006

GemStone BOF at Smalltalk Solutions 2006

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)

Re: GemStone BOF at Smalltalk Solutions 2006 vs Packaging BOF

Charles A. Monteiro-2
It seems that there is no practical way of avoiding a conflict between the
Gemstone BOF and the Packaging BOF including the suggested get together
after the Gemstone BOF at a local micro brewery pub/restaurant. Room
availability for the BOF starts at 5:30 PM. So we could schedule the
Packaging BOF either starting at 5:30PM or at 6:00 PM on the same day i.e.
Tuesday.

I think we need a consensus from those that expressed interest on the
Packaging BOF on the start time since obviously what may work for me may
not work for the rest i.e. we need a vote.

So does 6PM on Tuesday work?

As far as to the micro brew expedition perhaps we all can agree to meet at
particular spot at the conference venue and then take public
transportation from there.

BTW, what's the deal with using American currency? i.e. can we pay using
U.S. cash? I would expect we could.

-Charles

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 22:20:21 -0400, Boris Popov <[hidden email]>

Charles A. Monteiro

Re: GemStone BOF at Smalltalk Solutions 2006 vs Packaging BOF

Dennis smith-4

Charles A. Monteiro wrote:

> It seems that there is no practical way of avoiding a conflict between
> the  Gemstone BOF and the Packaging BOF including the suggested get
> together  after the Gemstone BOF at a local micro brewery
> pub/restaurant. Room  availability for the BOF starts at 5:30 PM. So
> we could schedule the  Packaging BOF either starting at 5:30PM or at
> 6:00 PM on the same day i.e.  Tuesday.
>
> I think we need a consensus from those that expressed interest on the
> Packaging BOF on the start time since obviously what may work for me
> may  not work for the rest i.e. we need a vote.
>
> So does 6PM on Tuesday work?
>
> As far as to the micro brew expedition perhaps we all can agree to
> meet at  particular spot at the conference venue and then take public
> transportation from there.
>
> BTW, what's the deal with using American currency? i.e. can we pay
> using  U.S. cash? I would expect we could.

Most places in downtown toronto will take american cash -- but the
exchange rate will not be as good as you will
get at a bank.  ANY bank will do an exchange for you and there are lots
there so long as you go when the are
open (opening times vary all over the place).

--
Dennis Smith                        [hidden email]
Cherniak Software Development Corporation       +1 905.771.7011
Thornhill, ON Canada L3T 7N7    http://www.CherniakSoftware.com

Re: GemStone BOF at Smalltalk Solutions 2006 vs Packaging BOF

Martin McClure
Charles A. Monteiro wrote:

> It seems that there is no practical way of avoiding a conflict between
> the Gemstone BOF and the Packaging BOF including the suggested get
> together after the Gemstone BOF at a local micro brewery pub/restaurant.
> Room availability for the BOF starts at 5:30 PM. So we could schedule
> the Packaging BOF either starting at 5:30PM or at 6:00 PM on the same
> day i.e. Tuesday.
>
> I think we need a consensus from those that expressed interest on the
> Packaging BOF on the start time since obviously what may work for me may
> not work for the rest i.e. we need a vote.
>
> So does 6PM on Tuesday work?

I would very much like to attend the packaging BOF. However, I really
ought to go to the GemStone BOF, so 6PM Tuesday doesn't work well for me.

We could have the BOF on Wednesday evening (some folks might be already
gone) or on Monday evening.

On Monday evening there's a STIC meeting from 5:30 to 7:30 in the
conference center. Personally, I can skip that more easily than I can
skip the GemStone BOF. It's possible (though I don't know how likely)
that we can convince the conference to give us another room in the
conference center for that same time period.

Or, we could meet at an off-conference site (like a restaurant, coffee
shop, brewpub, or hotel lobby) either during or after the STIC meeting.

-Martin

Re: GemStone BOF at Smalltalk Solutions 2006 vs Packaging BOF

Charles A. Monteiro-2
I too would like to attend both BOFs but I ought to attend the Packaging
BOF. I possibly can make it after the STIC meeting on Monday but probably
not before since I am arriving late Monday afternoon. I also could make it
on Wednesday nite. I am up for  an off-conference site especially if food,
beer and coffee are available. In that case we could rely on handouts from
whomever wants to make an official presentation i.e. something that would
have required overhead projection.

So anybody else? So far it seems that Martin and I are grabbing a
capuccino at the local Canadian Starbucks wanna be :)

-Charles

Charles A. Monteiro

Packaging BOF (Re: GemStone BOF at Smalltalk Solutions 2006 vs Packaging BOF)

Reinout Heeck

Any of the proposed times is fine with me.

As to location I'd prefer it to be on the conference site or near it (walking
distance). If we have to do it offsite I'd prefer a place with some more
personality than a franchise chain.

-

Charles A. Monteiro wrote:

> I too would like to attend both BOFs but I ought to attend the Packaging
> BOF. I possibly can make it after the STIC meeting on Monday but probably
> not before since I am arriving late Monday afternoon. I also could make it
> on Wednesday nite. I am up for  an off-conference site especially if food,
> beer and coffee are available. In that case we could rely on handouts from
> whomever wants to make an official presentation i.e. something that would
> have required overhead projection.
>
> So anybody else? So far it seems that Martin and I are grabbing a
> capuccino at the local Canadian Starbucks wanna be :)
>
> -Charles
>

> On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 13:12:43 -0400, Martin McClure
>
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Charles A. Monteiro wrote:
> >> It seems that there is no practical way of avoiding a conflict between
> >> the Gemstone BOF and the Packaging BOF including the suggested get
> >> together after the Gemstone BOF at a local micro brewery
> >> pub/restaurant. Room availability for the BOF starts at 5:30 PM. So we
> >> could schedule the Packaging BOF either starting at 5:30PM or at 6:00
> >> PM on the same day i.e. Tuesday.
> >>  I think we need a consensus from those that expressed interest on the
> >> Packaging BOF on the start time since obviously what may work for me
> >> may not work for the rest i.e. we need a vote.
> >>  So does 6PM on Tuesday work?
> >
> > I would very much like to attend the packaging BOF. However, I really
> > ought to go to the GemStone BOF, so 6PM Tuesday doesn't work well for me.
> >
> > We could have the BOF on Wednesday evening (some folks might be already
> > gone) or on Monday evening.
> >
> > On Monday evening there's a STIC meeting from 5:30 to 7:30 in the
> > conference center. Personally, I can skip that more easily than I can
> > skip the GemStone BOF. It's possible (though I don't know how likely)
> > that we can convince the conference to give us another room in the
> > conference center for that same time period.
> >
> > Or, we could meet at an off-conference site (like a restaurant, coffee
> > shop, brewpub, or hotel lobby) either during or after the STIC meeting.
> >

> > -Martin

Re: GemStone BOF at Smalltalk Solutions 2006 vs Packaging BOF

jWarrior
Charles A. Monteiro wrote:

[snip]

> BTW, what's the deal with using American currency? i.e. can we pay
> using  U.S. cash? I would expect we could.

US currency is accepted in Canada. The current value of a Canadian
dollar is about 86 cents US. As noted, business do not -have- to give
you the bank rate.

I usually use my credit card. The company gives you the current exchange
rate, and then tacks on another 1-3% for themselves, but at least it's
predictable and easy.

See you all in TO!