GemStone/S 64 Version 2.4.4.1 is Shipping - Seaside 3.0 supported!

GemStone/S 64 Version 2.4.4.1 is Shipping - Seaside 3.0 supported!

Dale Henrichs
Read the blog post:

http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2010/07/15/gemstones-64-version-2-4-4-1-is-shipping/

There is quite a bit of recently updated/written documentation on the
glassdb site relating to Seaside3.0 and GLASS:

   http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/wiki/Seaside30Configuration

so I'd appreciate feedback (submitting glassdb issues would be fine) on
any errors or lack of clarity...

Dale

Re: GemStone/S 64 Version 2.4.4.1 is Shipping - Seaside 3.0 supported!

NorbertHartl
Dale,

congratualations to the release. I think this is long awaited (at least in my case). I'm eager to test it as soon as my current project allows to spend some time on other things. Does it mean pier2 is ready to go, too?

thanks,

Norbert

On 15.07.2010, at 22:30, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> Read the blog post:
>
> http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2010/07/15/gemstones-64-version-2-4-4-1-is-shipping/
>
> There is quite a bit of recently updated/written documentation on the glassdb site relating to Seaside3.0 and GLASS:
>
>  http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/wiki/Seaside30Configuration
>
> so I'd appreciate feedback (submitting glassdb issues would be fine) on any errors or lack of clarity...
>
> Dale

Re: GemStone/S 64 Version 2.4.4.1 is Shipping - Seaside 3.0 supported!

Dale Henrichs
Norbert,

Pier2 _is_ ready to go...

Dale

Norbert Hartl wrote:

> Dale,
>
> congratualations to the release. I think this is long awaited (at least in my case). I'm eager to test it as soon as my current project allows to spend some time on other things. Does it mean pier2 is ready to go, too?
>
> thanks,
>
> Norbert
>
> On 15.07.2010, at 22:30, Dale Henrichs wrote:
>
>> Read the blog post:
>>
>> http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2010/07/15/gemstones-64-version-2-4-4-1-is-shipping/
>>
>> There is quite a bit of recently updated/written documentation on the glassdb site relating to Seaside3.0 and GLASS:
>>
>>  http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/wiki/Seaside30Configuration
>>
>> so I'd appreciate feedback (submitting glassdb issues would be fine) on any errors or lack of clarity...
>>
>> Dale

Re: GemStone/S 64 Version 2.4.4.1 is Shipping - Seaside 3.0 supported!

FDominicus
Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> writes:

> Read the blog post:
>
> http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2010/07/15/gemstones-64-version-2-4-4-1-is-shipping/
>
> There is quite a bit of recently updated/written documentation on the
> glassdb site relating to Seaside3.0 and GLASS:
Ok, I used the install script. And the provided GemTools package.
I first just loaded Seaside
then Seaside Development and
all of Pier.
So far it seems the software is just "running". For my experiences this
is as a really impressive advance. Just a few months or so ago it was
"hard" work to get anywhere... I'm positively suprised, thanks for
taking the time and thanks for your efforts.

>   http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/wiki/Seaside30Configuration
>
> so I'd appreciate feedback (submitting glassdb issues would be fine)
> on any errors or lack of clarity...
It would be fine to write a few sentences to the diverse Web server
adaopters an I'd like to knoe how I can start one of it without blocking
the complete Pharo setup from which I started the Web Server.

Regards
Friedrich

Q-Software Solutions GmbH; Sitz: Bruchsal; Registergericht: Mannheim
Registriernummer: HRB232138; Geschaeftsfuehrer: Friedrich Dominicus

Friedrich Dominicus wrote:

> Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Read the blog post:
>>
>> http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2010/07/15/gemstones-64-version-2-4-4-1-is-shipping/
>>
>> There is quite a bit of recently updated/written documentation on the
>> glassdb site relating to Seaside3.0 and GLASS:
> Ok, I used the install script. And the provided GemTools package.
> I first just loaded Seaside
> then Seaside Development and
> all of Pier.
> So far it seems the software is just "running". For my experiences this
> is as a really impressive advance. Just a few months or so ago it was
> "hard" work to get anywhere... I'm positively suprised, thanks for
> taking the time and thanks for your efforts.

Thanks, Friedrich ... it's been a lot of work getting to this point, but
I am pleased that it is finally working ... I appreciate your and
everyone else's patience:)

>>   http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/wiki/Seaside30Configuration
>>
>> so I'd appreciate feedback (submitting glassdb issues would be fine)
>> on any errors or lack of clarity...
> It would be fine to write a few sentences to the diverse Web server
> adaopters an I'd like to knoe how I can start one of it without blocking
> the complete Pharo setup from which I started the Web Server.

Good point ... I've got various pages covering that issue, but I see
that it isn't very well organized.

The 'Admin>seaside gems' menu
(http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/wiki/GemToolsAdmin#Seaside_gems)
allows you to start/stop/restart gems independent of your development vm.

The http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/wiki/ControllingSeaside30Gems page
gives you info for configuring which adaptor is used.

Finally, for debugging, the default error handler puts the stack into a
continuation (full continuation) that can be debugged with a debugger
with the 'Debug...' menu item
(http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/wiki/GemToolsDebug).

Dale

Re: GemStone/S 64 Version 2.4.4.1 is Shipping - Seaside 3.0 supported!

Steve Wart-2
Hi Dale

I worked through the help document. It was very clear and worked well
except for step 4:

        cp $GEMSTONE/lib32/libgcirpc.dylib \
                vm.app/Contents/Resource/gciForMacintosh.so

In my lib32 directory I see only the files libgcirpc.so and
libgcirpc64-244.so -- nothing with a .dylib extension.

I tried replacing the gciForMacintosh.so file in the Pharo resource
bundle with both copies, but logging in fails for me with the error
'The versions of RPC GCI client and Gem server are incompatible.'

I've got various installations of GemStone on here but this all seems
fairly well-contained. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 1:30 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Read the blog post:
>
> http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2010/07/15/gemstones-64-version-2-4-4-1-is-shipping/
>
> There is quite a bit of recently updated/written documentation on the
> glassdb site relating to Seaside3.0 and GLASS:
>
>  http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/wiki/Seaside30Configuration
>
> so I'd appreciate feedback (submitting glassdb issues would be fine) on any
> errors or lack of clarity...
>
> Dale

Re: GemStone/S 64 Version 2.4.4.1 is Shipping - Seaside 3.0 supported!

Tobias Pape
Hi,

Am 2010-07-20 um 07:13 schrieb Steve Wart:

> Hi Dale
>
> I worked through the help document. It was very clear and worked well
> except for step 4:
>
> cp $GEMSTONE/lib32/libgcirpc.dylib \
> vm.app/Contents/Resource/gciForMacintosh.so
>
> In my lib32 directory I see only the files libgcirpc.so and
> libgcirpc64-244.so -- nothing with a .dylib extension.
>
> I tried replacing the gciForMacintosh.so file in the Pharo resource
> bundle with both copies, but logging in fails for me with the error
> 'The versions of RPC GCI client and Gem server are incompatible.'
>
> I've got various installations of GemStone on here but this all seems
> fairly well-contained. Any suggestions?

I did the replacements you described myself, and they helped to connect
to GS/64 2.4.4* Stones.
 Note, however, that older Stones are no longer Reachable with this GCI
version. My 2.3 Stone won’t connect with the same Message.
  Thus, having two GemTools, one for <=2.4.3 (including 2.3) and one for
>=2.4.

HTH, so long,
        -Tobias

Re: GemStone/S 64 Version 2.4.4.1 is Shipping - Seaside 3.0 supported!

Steve Wart
Thanks Tobias

After sleeping on it I realized I probably was running the wrong stone server.

Which .so file did you use?

Steve

On Jul 19, 2010, at 11:20 PM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 2010-07-20 um 07:13 schrieb Steve Wart:
>
>> Hi Dale
>>
>> I worked through the help document. It was very clear and worked well
>> except for step 4:
>>
>> cp $GEMSTONE/lib32/libgcirpc.dylib \
>> vm.app/Contents/Resource/gciForMacintosh.so
>>
>> In my lib32 directory I see only the files libgcirpc.so and
>> libgcirpc64-244.so -- nothing with a .dylib extension.
>>
>> I tried replacing the gciForMacintosh.so file in the Pharo resource
>> bundle with both copies, but logging in fails for me with the error
>> 'The versions of RPC GCI client and Gem server are incompatible.'
>>
>> I've got various installations of GemStone on here but this all seems
>> fairly well-contained. Any suggestions?
>>

> I did the replacements you described myself, and they helped to connect
> to GS/64 2.4.4* Stones.
> Note, however, that older Stones are no longer Reachable with this GCI
> version. My 2.3 Stone won’t connect with the same Message.
>  Thus, having two GemTools, one for <=2.4.3 (including 2.3) and one for
>> =2.4.
>
> HTH, so long,
> -Tobias

Re: GemStone/S 64 Version 2.4.4.1 is Shipping - Seaside 3.0 supported!

Tobias Pape-2

Am 2010-07-20 um 15:45 schrieb Steve Wart:

> Thanks Tobias
>
> After sleeping on it I realized I probably was running the wrong stone server.
>
> Which .so file did you use?

Phew…

I think the one that shipped with gemtools-preview-2.3.1

So long,
        -Tobias

Re: GemStone/S 64 Version 2.4.4.1 is Shipping - Seaside 3.0 supported!

Dale Henrichs
Either one should libgcirpc.so is typically a symbolic link to
libgcirpc64-244.so.

Dale