GemStone/S on Docker?

sergio_101
Has anyone set up GemStone/S on Docker?

I have another project that I need persistence on. In the past, I have use voyager, but I’d really like to use something that doesn’t require refactoring. I was looking at Magma, but it looks like that is Squeak only.

----
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary

Re: GemStone/S on Docker?

Paul DeBruicker
Not that I know of but there is a gemstone list here where you should ask:

http://forum.world.st/GLASS-f1460844.html

Someone there may have.

I think there is an effort to port Magma to Pharo if you search on
forum.world.st you may be able to find it easily.  There is also GLORP
http://forum.world.st/GLORP-f3496819.html

sergio_101 wrote

> Has anyone set up GemStone/S on Docker?
>
> I have another project that I need persistence on. In the past, I have use
> voyager, but I’d really like to use something that doesn’t require
> refactoring. I was looking at Magma, but it looks like that is Squeak
> only.
>

> ----
> peace,
> sergio
> photographer, journalist, visionary
>
> Public Key: http://bit.ly/29z9fG0
> #BitMessage BM-NBaswViL21xqgg9STRJjaJaUoyiNe2dV
> http://www.codeandmusic.com
> http://www.twitter.com/sergio_101
> http://www.facebook.com/sergio101
>
> signature.asc (849 bytes)
> <http://forum.world.st/attachment/5073311/0/signature.asc>

Re: GemStone/S on Docker?

NorbertHartl

Am 10.04.2018 um 05:03 schrieb sergio ruiz <[hidden email]>:

Has anyone set up GemStone/S on Docker?

I have another project that I need persistence on. In the past, I have use voyager, but I’d really like to use something that doesn’t require refactoring. I was looking at Magma, but it looks like that is Squeak only.

What do you mean by „something that doesn’t require refactoring“ ?

I think to put GemStone/S on docker should be easy package wise. Years ago when I used GemStone I created these scripts

in order to create a simple directory containing a stone. This directory would be suitable to be copied into a docker image. The extent and log dirs can then be mapped from the outside. But I’m not sure it will work out at the end. Docker is for isolating processes from the underlying OS. But GemStone limitations of the community edition use e.g. CPU pinning to make sure you only use two cores. I don’t know if those things can conflict with the way docker works. But if you are successful let me know :)

Norbert
----
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary

Re: GemStone/S on Docker?

sergio_101

What do you mean by „something that doesn’t require refactoring“ ?

I used mongo voyager for a few projects.. i ended up having to refactor here and there to get it to work (to connect my data mongodb).. I’d like to try an object database.

I think to put GemStone/S on docker should be easy package wise. Years ago when I used GemStone I created these scripts

great! i’ll take a look at this.

Thanks!

----
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary

Re: GemStone/S on Docker?

EstebanLM

On 10 Apr 2018, at 14:32, sergio ruiz <[hidden email]> wrote:

What do you mean by „something that doesn’t require refactoring“ ?

I used mongo voyager for a few projects.. i ended up having to refactor here and there to get it to work (to connect my data mongodb).. I’d like to try an object database.

I could use an example of those refactors.
the objective of Voyage is to not need that :)

cheers,
Esteban

I think to put GemStone/S on docker should be easy package wise. Years ago when I used GemStone I created these scripts

great! i’ll take a look at this.

Thanks!

----
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary

Re: GemStone/S on Docker?

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 9:32 AM, sergio ruiz <[hidden email]> wrote:

What do you mean by „something that doesn’t require refactoring“ ?

I used mongo voyager for a few projects.. i ended up having to refactor here and there to get it to work (to connect my data mongodb).. I’d like to try an object database.

I think to put GemStone/S on docker should be easy package wise. Years ago when I used GemStone I created these scripts

great! i’ll take a look at this.

I wouldn't. The excellent work of Norbert was later inspired/continuated/extended officially by GemStone under a much bigger project called GsDevKit [1]

Cheers,

Thanks!

----
peace,
sergio
photographer, journalist, visionary

Re: GemStone/S on Docker?

JupiterJones
I’ve copied this to the GemStone list to continue the discussion.

I wouldn't. The excellent work of Norbert was later inspired/continuated/extended officially by GemStone under a much bigger project called GsDevKit [1]

+1 GsDevKit - it’s excellent for use in both development and deployment.

There’s also an ansible project [1] which may offer some guidance.

If you were planning to build containers for GemStone, there are a bunch of possible roles a single host might play in larger systems, but as a minimum:

1. Stone - where the repository (image) is physically managed. Typically only one per deployment (or more for warm failover)
2. Gem - where the VM’s run your application or services. Instances scale with your application.
3. Shared Page Cache - essentially shared memory access to the image that can be deployed in many ways to turn your applications.

There’s a rundown on connecting distributed systems in the GS System Admin Guide [2]. There are likely many other roles right down to transaction logs and repository extents (the physical files on disc where your image is persisted), it just depends on how far you want to go with the flexibility of the docker containers.

This said, GsDevKit will setup the above three roles on a single host which will suit development and deployment of any small application.