GemTools 1.0-beta.8.7.1

Dale Henrichs
Alejandro and Dario,

Well, my plans to play some disk golf this morning fell were spoiled by snow and rain:), so I was able to create GemTools 1.0-beta.8.7.1 with some code that should help with the debugging of the #'localMethodAt:' problem ...

Upgrade to 1.0-beta.8.7.1 (use the Update Gemtools and select the show all versions menu item to see 1.0-beta.8.7.1) ... instead of getting a #'localMethodAt:' not understood walkback from GemStone, you should get a client-side error message ... no need to use 'popup on debug' ...

That should help us get to the point where we can characterize the underlying problem ...

Dale

Re: GemTools 1.0-beta.8.7.1

dario trussardi

Dale,

> Alejandro and Dario,
>
> Well, my plans to play some disk golf this morning fell were spoiled by snow and rain:), so I was able to create GemTools 1.0-beta.8.7.1 with some code that should help with the debugging of the #'localMethodAt:' problem ...
>
> Upgrade to 1.0-beta.8.7.1 (use the Update Gemtools and select the show all versions menu item to see 1.0-beta.8.7.1) ...

I update the GemTools at: GemTools 1.0-beta.8.7.1-1.0  dkh.144

> instead of getting a #'localMethodAt:' not understood walkback from GemStone, you should get a client-side error message ... no need to use 'popup on debug' ...

Now the error report:

a MessageNotUnderstood occurred (error 2010), a UndefinedObject does not understand  #'localMethodAt:' -  G/S[MonvisoWorking3102:1]

MessageNotUnderstood >> defaultAction (envId 0)
AbstractException >> _signalWith: (envId 0)
AbstractException >> signal (envId 0)
Object >> doesNotUnderstand: (envId 0)
Object >> _doesNotUnderstand:args:envId:reason: (envId 0)
JadeServer >> openDebuggerOn: (envId 0)
GsNMethod class >> _gsReturnToC (envId 0)

This can help or i wrong something ?

Ciao,

        Dario

> That should help us get to the point where we can characterize the underlying problem ...
>
> Dale

Re: GemTools 1.0-beta.8.7.1

Dale Henrichs
Dario,

You must be going down a code path that I didn't cover ... set the 'popup on debug' flag so that you can capture the client-side stack and then I can tell what's going on ...

Dale

| > Well, my plans to play some disk golf this morning fell were
| > spoiled by snow and rain:), so I was able to create GemTools
| > 1.0-beta.8.7.1 with some code that should help with the debugging
| > of the #'localMethodAt:' problem ...
| >
| > Upgrade to 1.0-beta.8.7.1 (use the Update Gemtools and select the
| > show all versions menu item to see 1.0-beta.8.7.1) ...
|
| I update the GemTools at: GemTools 1.0-beta.8.7.1-1.0  dkh.144
|
| > instead of getting a #'localMethodAt:' not understood walkback from
| > GemStone, you should get a client-side error message ... no need
| > to use 'popup on debug' ...
|
| Now the error report:
|
| a MessageNotUnderstood occurred (error 2010), a UndefinedObject does
| not understand  #'localMethodAt:' -  G/S[MonvisoWorking3102:1]
|
| MessageNotUnderstood >> defaultAction (envId 0)
| AbstractException >> _signalWith: (envId 0)
| AbstractException >> signal (envId 0)
| Object >> doesNotUnderstand: (envId 0)
| Object >> _doesNotUnderstand:args:envId:reason: (envId 0)
| JadeServer >> openDebuggerOn: (envId 0)
| GsNMethod class >> _gsReturnToC (envId 0)
|
| This can help or i wrong something ?
|
| Ciao,
|
| Dario
|

| > That should help us get to the point where we can characterize the
| > underlying problem ...
| >
| > Dale

Re: GemTools 1.0-beta.8.7.1

dario trussardi
Dale,

Dario,

You must be going down a code path that I didn't cover ... set the 'popup on debug' flag so that you can capture the client-side stack and then I can tell what's going on ...

If i right understand for the dialog error:

a ArgumentTypeError occurred (error 2094), expected a GsProcess

the  Debug Squeak full stack is :

GsProcess(Object)>>halt
[] in GsProcess>>openDebugger:
BlockClosure>>ensure:
GsProcess>>openDebugger:
GsRuntimeError>>defaultAction
UndefinedObject>>handleSignal:
GsRuntimeError(Exception)>>pass
[] in PasteUpMorph>>becomeActiveDuring:
BlockClosure>>valueWithPossibleArgs:
[] in MethodContext(ContextPart)>>handleSignal:
BlockClosure>>ensure:
MethodContext(ContextPart)>>handleSignal:
GsRuntimeError(Exception)>>signal
GciSession>>getNbResult
GciSession>>getNbResultAsOop
[] in GciSession>>receiverNB:perform:withArguments:
BlockClosure>>ensure:
Cursor>>showWhile:
GciSession>>receiverNB:perform:withArguments:
GciSession>>receiver:perform:withArguments:
GciSession>>receiver:perform:
GsOBColumn>>okToChange
OBPluggableListMorph>>mouseUp:
OBPluggableListMorph(Morph)>>handleMouseUp:
MouseButtonEvent>>sentTo:
OBPluggableListMorph(Morph)>>handleEvent:
MorphicEventDispatcher>>dispatchDefault:with:
MorphicEventDispatcher>>dispatchEvent:with:
OBPluggableListMorph(Morph)>>processEvent:using:
OBPluggableListMorph(Morph)>>processEvent:
OBPluggableListMorph(PluggableListMorph)>>handleFocusEvent:
[] in HandMorph>>sendFocusEvent:to:clear:
[] in PasteUpMorph>>becomeActiveDuring:
BlockClosure>>on:do:
PasteUpMorph>>becomeActiveDuring:
HandMorph>>sendFocusEvent:to:clear:
HandMorph>>sendEvent:focus:clear:
HandMorph>>sendMouseEvent:
HandMorph>>handleEvent:
MouseClickState>>handleEvent:from:
HandMorph>>handleEvent:
HandMorph>>processEvents
[] in WorldState>>doOneCycleNowFor:
Array(SequenceableCollection)>>do:
WorldState>>handsDo:
WorldState>>doOneCycleNowFor:
WorldState>>doOneCycleFor:
PasteUpMorph>>doOneCycle
[] in Project class>>spawnNewProcess
[] in BlockClosure>>newProcess

Ciao,

Dario

Re: GemTools 1.0-beta.8.7.1

Dale Henrichs
Dario,

To find out the gemstone error that triggered the stack, in the GsProcess>>openDebugger: frame, print the result of

  anException tag message

That will give you the error message ... we might want the error number:

  anException tag number

I can see GsOBColumn>>okToChange on the stack which means that we're dealing with an event from an OmniBrowser window ... the code in okToChange initiates the call to GemStone with:

  session receiver: oopType perform: 'okToChange'.

so we've got the oop and message that is being sent ... now all we need is the error message...

Dale

| You must be going down a code path that I didn't cover ... set the
| 'popup on debug' flag so that you can capture the client-side stack
| and then I can tell what's going on ...
|
| If i right understand for the dialog error:
|

| a ArgumentTypeError occurred (error 2094), expected a GsProcess
|

| the Debug Squeak full stack is :
|

| GsProcess(Object)>>halt
| [] in GsProcess>>openDebugger:
| BlockClosure>>ensure:
| GsProcess>>openDebugger:
| GsRuntimeError>>defaultAction
| UndefinedObject>>handleSignal:
| GsRuntimeError(Exception)>>pass
| [] in PasteUpMorph>>becomeActiveDuring:
| BlockClosure>>valueWithPossibleArgs:
| [] in MethodContext(ContextPart)>>handleSignal:
| BlockClosure>>ensure:
| MethodContext(ContextPart)>>handleSignal:
| GsRuntimeError(Exception)>>signal
| GciSession>>getNbResult
| GciSession>>getNbResultAsOop
| [] in GciSession>>receiverNB:perform:withArguments:
| BlockClosure>>ensure:
| Cursor>>showWhile:
| GciSession>>receiverNB:perform:withArguments:
| GciSession>>receiver:perform:withArguments:
| GciSession>>receiver:perform:
| GsOBColumn>>okToChange
| OBPluggableListMorph>>mouseUp:
| OBPluggableListMorph(Morph)>>handleMouseUp:
| MouseButtonEvent>>sentTo:
| OBPluggableListMorph(Morph)>>handleEvent:
| MorphicEventDispatcher>>dispatchDefault:with:
| MorphicEventDispatcher>>dispatchEvent:with:
| OBPluggableListMorph(Morph)>>processEvent:using:
| OBPluggableListMorph(Morph)>>processEvent:
| OBPluggableListMorph(PluggableListMorph)>>handleFocusEvent:
| [] in HandMorph>>sendFocusEvent:to:clear:
| [] in PasteUpMorph>>becomeActiveDuring:
| BlockClosure>>on:do:
| PasteUpMorph>>becomeActiveDuring:
| HandMorph>>sendFocusEvent:to:clear:
| HandMorph>>sendEvent:focus:clear:
| HandMorph>>sendMouseEvent:
| HandMorph>>handleEvent:
| MouseClickState>>handleEvent:from:
| HandMorph>>handleEvent:
| HandMorph>>processEvents
| [] in WorldState>>doOneCycleNowFor:
| Array(SequenceableCollection)>>do:
| WorldState>>handsDo:
| WorldState>>doOneCycleNowFor:
| WorldState>>doOneCycleFor:
| PasteUpMorph>>doOneCycle
| [] in Project class>>spawnNewProcess
| [] in BlockClosure>>newProcess
|

| Ciao,
|

| Dario

Re: GemTools 1.0-beta.8.7.1

dario trussardi
Dale,

i do some test about it.

First i set the 'popup on debug' .

When error is erase and the system open  dialog with title:  a ArgumentTypeError occurred (error 2094), expected a GsProcess

        i select the Debug Squeak stack     option.

        Now after open the relative Debug window

                i  select the top line GsProcess>>openDebugger:

> Dario,
>
> To find out the gemstone error that triggered the stack, in the GsProcess>>openDebugger: frame, print the result of
>
>  anException tag message

A this time the anException tag message report : 'a ArgumentTypeError occurred (error 2094), expected a GsProcess'

> That will give you the error message ... we might want the error number:
>
>  anException tag number

and anException tag number report : 2094

> I can see GsOBColumn>>okToChange on the stack which means that we're dealing with an event from an OmniBrowser window ... the code in okToChange initiates the call to GemStone with:
>
>  session receiver: oopType perform: 'okToChange'.S
> so we've got the oop and message that is being sent ... now all we need is the error message...

These are the data you required or i don't understand the procedure?

        Ciao,

                Dario

> Dale

Re: GemTools 1.0-beta.8.7.1

Dale Henrichs
Dario,

I need see the client-side stack that produces the ArgumentTypeError. and I'd like to see the values of all of the instance variables of the GCIErrType (the object with the number and message instance variables).

Dale

| When error is erase and the system open  dialog with title:  a
| ArgumentTypeError occurred (error 2094), expected a GsProcess
|
| i select the Debug Squeak stack     option.
|
| Now after open the relative Debug window
|
| i  select the top line GsProcess>>openDebugger:
|
| > Dario,
| >
| > To find out the gemstone error that triggered the stack, in the
| > GsProcess>>openDebugger: frame, print the result of
| >
| >  anException tag message
| >

| A this time the anException tag message report : 'a
| ArgumentTypeError occurred (error 2094), expected a GsProcess'
|

| > That will give you the error message ... we might want the error
| > number:
| >
| >  anException tag number
|
| and anException tag number report : 2094
|

| > I can see GsOBColumn>>okToChange on the stack which means that
| > we're dealing with an event from an OmniBrowser window ... the
| > code in okToChange initiates the call to GemStone with:
| >
| >  session receiver: oopType perform: 'okToChange'.S
| > so we've got the oop and message that is being sent ... now all we
| > need is the error message...
|
| These are the data you required or i don't understand the procedure?
|
| Ciao,
|
| Dario
|

| > Dale

| > |
| > |
| > | Dale,
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | Dario,
| > |
| > | You must be going down a code path that I didn't cover ... set
| > | the
| > | 'popup on debug' flag so that you can capture the client-side
| > | stack
| > | and then I can tell what's going on ...
| > |
| > | If i right understand for the dialog error:
| > |
| > |
| > | a ArgumentTypeError occurred (error 2094), expected a GsProcess
| > |
| > |
| > | the Debug Squeak full stack is :
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | GsProcess(Object)>>halt
| > | [] in GsProcess>>openDebugger:
| > | BlockClosure>>ensure:
| > | GsProcess>>openDebugger:
| > | GsRuntimeError>>defaultAction
| > | UndefinedObject>>handleSignal:
| > | GsRuntimeError(Exception)>>pass
| > | [] in PasteUpMorph>>becomeActiveDuring:
| > | BlockClosure>>valueWithPossibleArgs:
| > | [] in MethodContext(ContextPart)>>handleSignal:
| > | BlockClosure>>ensure:
| > | MethodContext(ContextPart)>>handleSignal:
| > | GsRuntimeError(Exception)>>signal
| > | GciSession>>getNbResult
| > | GciSession>>getNbResultAsOop
| > | [] in GciSession>>receiverNB:perform:withArguments:
| > | BlockClosure>>ensure:
| > | Cursor>>showWhile:
| > | GciSession>>receiverNB:perform:withArguments:
| > | GciSession>>receiver:perform:withArguments:
| > | GciSession>>receiver:perform:
| > | GsOBColumn>>okToChange
| > | OBPluggableListMorph>>mouseUp:
| > | OBPluggableListMorph(Morph)>>handleMouseUp:
| > | MouseButtonEvent>>sentTo:
| > | OBPluggableListMorph(Morph)>>handleEvent:
| > | MorphicEventDispatcher>>dispatchDefault:with:
| > | MorphicEventDispatcher>>dispatchEvent:with:
| > | OBPluggableListMorph(Morph)>>processEvent:using:
| > | OBPluggableListMorph(Morph)>>processEvent:
| > | OBPluggableListMorph(PluggableListMorph)>>handleFocusEvent:
| > | [] in HandMorph>>sendFocusEvent:to:clear:
| > | [] in PasteUpMorph>>becomeActiveDuring:
| > | BlockClosure>>on:do:
| > | PasteUpMorph>>becomeActiveDuring:
| > | HandMorph>>sendFocusEvent:to:clear:
| > | HandMorph>>sendEvent:focus:clear:
| > | HandMorph>>sendMouseEvent:
| > | HandMorph>>handleEvent:
| > | MouseClickState>>handleEvent:from:
| > | HandMorph>>handleEvent:
| > | HandMorph>>processEvents
| > | [] in WorldState>>doOneCycleNowFor:
| > | Array(SequenceableCollection)>>do:
| > | WorldState>>handsDo:
| > | WorldState>>doOneCycleNowFor:
| > | WorldState>>doOneCycleFor:
| > | PasteUpMorph>>doOneCycle
| > | [] in Project class>>spawnNewProcess
| > | [] in BlockClosure>>newProcess
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | Ciao,
| > |
| > |
| > | Dario

Re: GemTools 1.0-beta.8.7.1

dario trussardi
Ciao,

happy new year to all.

Dario,

I need see the client-side stack that produces the ArgumentTypeError. and I'd like to see the values of all of the instance variables of the GCIErrType (the object with the number and message instance variables).

I hope this are the data required:

root: a Gci31xErrSType64
library: nil
category: Oop(231169)
number: 2094
context: Oop(20)
message: 'a ArgumentTypeError occurred (error 2094), expected a GsProcess'
args: an Array(nil Oop(134657))
fatal: false
address: nil
exceptionObj: Oop(376167425)

It's enough ?

Dario

Re: GemTools 1.0-beta.8.7.1

Dale Henrichs
Dario,

what I need is the stack trace from Pharo ... I need to find out what method you are executing in GemStone that leads to the ArgumentTypeError ... there are a lot of places in the vm that throw ArgumentTypeErrors with GsProcess expected, so I would like to narrow down the choices ...

The call to GemStone that I am interested is on the pharo stack ... once I see the stack, I will be asking for specific information from the particular stack frame and then we go from there.

Dale