GemTools for pharo 1.1

NorbertHartl
Hi,

I just investigated the needed changes to be able to run GemTools on pharo1.1. I did the changes and uploaded a new version

---
Name: GemTools-Client-NorbertHartl.544
Author: NorbertHartl
Time: 16 September 2010, 4:10:48 pm
UUID: 615af061-1b38-4ee4-8f3b-93feb3e3c5b9
Ancestors: GemTools-Client-DaleHenrichs.543

Added missing asOOp calls. This calls have been removed in pharo 1.1
Implemented ExternalAddress>>clone to avoid calling non-existing Object>>clone and to avoid doing an method override in ExternalAddress>>shallowcopy
---

I was able to use a Pharo 1.1 Core image and do the following

- base image PharoCore-1.1-11411.image
- did Software updates
- Settings -> allow underscore (GemTools need to ge rid of underscores)
- Settings -> no deprecation blocking dialog (FFI raises those a lot)
- Gofer new
        squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
        package: 'ConfigurationOfGemTools';
        load
ConfigurationOfGemTools project latestVersion load

- needed new omnibrowser for pharo 1.1

Gofer new
        squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
        package: 'ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser';
        load

ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser project latestVersion load

- load GemTools-Client-NorbertHartl.544

I did not do of the ConfigurationOfGemTools. Dale will pick it up when he is ready.

hope you like it,

Norbert

Re: GemTools for pharo 1.1

Dale Henrichs
Norbert Hartl wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just investigated the needed changes to be able to run GemTools on pharo1.1. I did the changes and uploaded a new version
>
> ---
> Name: GemTools-Client-NorbertHartl.544
> Author: NorbertHartl
> Time: 16 September 2010, 4:10:48 pm
> UUID: 615af061-1b38-4ee4-8f3b-93feb3e3c5b9
> Ancestors: GemTools-Client-DaleHenrichs.543
>
> Added missing asOOp calls. This calls have been removed in pharo 1.1
> Implemented ExternalAddress>>clone to avoid calling non-existing Object>>clone and to avoid doing an method override in ExternalAddress>>shallowcopy
> ---
>
> I was able to use a Pharo 1.1 Core image and do the following
>
> - base image PharoCore-1.1-11411.image
> - did Software updates
> - Settings -> allow underscore (GemTools need to ge rid of underscores)
> - Settings -> no deprecation blocking dialog (FFI raises those a lot)
> - Gofer new
> squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
> package: 'ConfigurationOfGemTools';
> load
> ConfigurationOfGemTools project latestVersion load
>
> - needed new omnibrowser for pharo 1.1
>
> Gofer new
> squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
> package: 'ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser';
> load
>
> ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser project latestVersion load
>
> - load GemTools-Client-NorbertHartl.544
>
> I did not do of the ConfigurationOfGemTools. Dale will pick it up when he is ready.
>
> hope you like it,
>
> Norbert

Norbert,

Great work ... I'll get this integrated into the GemTools configuration
ASAp!

Dale

Re: GemTools for pharo 1.1

Dale Henrichs
Norbert,

I've just released GemTools version 1.0-beta.8.3 which incorporates all
of your instructions into a Metacello Configuration (i.e. setting s
updated, etc.).

for folks running on Pharo 1.0, there are no functional changes.

Thanks again, Norbert!

Dale

Norbert Hartl wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just investigated the needed changes to be able to run GemTools on pharo1.1. I did the changes and uploaded a new version
>
> ---
> Name: GemTools-Client-NorbertHartl.544
> Author: NorbertHartl
> Time: 16 September 2010, 4:10:48 pm
> UUID: 615af061-1b38-4ee4-8f3b-93feb3e3c5b9
> Ancestors: GemTools-Client-DaleHenrichs.543
>
> Added missing asOOp calls. This calls have been removed in pharo 1.1
> Implemented ExternalAddress>>clone to avoid calling non-existing Object>>clone and to avoid doing an method override in ExternalAddress>>shallowcopy
> ---
>
> I was able to use a Pharo 1.1 Core image and do the following
>
> - base image PharoCore-1.1-11411.image
> - did Software updates
> - Settings -> allow underscore (GemTools need to ge rid of underscores)
> - Settings -> no deprecation blocking dialog (FFI raises those a lot)
> - Gofer new
> squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
> package: 'ConfigurationOfGemTools';
> load
> ConfigurationOfGemTools project latestVersion load
>
> - needed new omnibrowser for pharo 1.1
>
> Gofer new
> squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
> package: 'ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser';
> load
>
> ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser project latestVersion load
>
> - load GemTools-Client-NorbertHartl.544
>
> I did not do of the ConfigurationOfGemTools. Dale will pick it up when he is ready.
>
> hope you like it,
>
> Norbert

Re: GemTools for pharo 1.1

Johan Brichau-2
Is anyone using GemTools on Pharo1.1 on Mac OS X ?

I am stuck trying to use the latest GemTools in a Pharo1.1.1 dev image on Mac OS X due to a 'space is low' warning when trying to connect to a stone.

Here is my info:

- Loaded latest version of GemTools in a Pharo1.1.1
- Using Squeak VM 4.2.5beta1U on Mac OS X
- copied the $Gemstone/lib32/libgcirpc.so to $SqueakVM/Contents/Resources/gciForMacintosh.so

When trying to login to the stone, a low memory warning appears and keeps re-appearing....

On 05 Oct 2010, at 01:53, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> Norbert,
>
> I've just released GemTools version 1.0-beta.8.3 which incorporates all of your instructions into a Metacello Configuration (i.e. setting s updated, etc.).
>
> for folks running on Pharo 1.0, there are no functional changes.
>
> Thanks again, Norbert!
>
> Dale
>
> Norbert Hartl wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I just investigated the needed changes to be able to run GemTools on pharo1.1. I did the changes and uploaded a new version
>> ---
>> Name: GemTools-Client-NorbertHartl.544
>> Author: NorbertHartl
>> Time: 16 September 2010, 4:10:48 pm
>> UUID: 615af061-1b38-4ee4-8f3b-93feb3e3c5b9
>> Ancestors: GemTools-Client-DaleHenrichs.543
>> Added missing asOOp calls. This calls have been removed in pharo 1.1
>> Implemented ExternalAddress>>clone to avoid calling non-existing Object>>clone and to avoid doing an method override in ExternalAddress>>shallowcopy
>> ---
>> I was able to use a Pharo 1.1 Core image and do the following
>> - base image PharoCore-1.1-11411.image
>> - did Software updates
>> - Settings -> allow underscore (GemTools need to ge rid of underscores)
>> - Settings -> no deprecation blocking dialog (FFI raises those a lot)
>> - Gofer new squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>> package: 'ConfigurationOfGemTools';
>> load
>> ConfigurationOfGemTools project latestVersion load
>> - needed new omnibrowser for pharo 1.1
>> Gofer new squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>> package: 'ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser';
>> load
>>
>> ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser project latestVersion load
>> - load GemTools-Client-NorbertHartl.544
>> I did not do of the ConfigurationOfGemTools. Dale will pick it up when he is ready.
>> hope you like it,
>> Norbert

Re: GemTools for pharo 1.1

NorbertHartl

On 17.10.2010, at 14:24, Johan Brichau wrote:

> Is anyone using GemTools on Pharo1.1 on Mac OS X ?

yes, I do.

> I am stuck trying to use the latest GemTools in a Pharo1.1.1 dev image on Mac OS X due to a 'space is low' warning when trying to connect to a stone.
>
> Here is my info:
>
> - Loaded latest version of GemTools in a Pharo1.1.1
> - Using Squeak VM 4.2.5beta1U on Mac OS X
> - copied the $Gemstone/lib32/libgcirpc.so to $SqueakVM/Contents/Resources/gciForMacintosh.so
>
> When trying to login to the stone, a low memory warning appears and keeps re-appearing....

Can you give the exact error? That is funny because I get a "There is no free space in this set" error which has to do with finalization problems. I'll check it soon with your setup.

Norbert

> On 05 Oct 2010, at 01:53, Dale Henrichs wrote:
>
>> Norbert,
>>
>> I've just released GemTools version 1.0-beta.8.3 which incorporates all of your instructions into a Metacello Configuration (i.e. setting s updated, etc.).
>>
>> for folks running on Pharo 1.0, there are no functional changes.
>>
>> Thanks again, Norbert!
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I just investigated the needed changes to be able to run GemTools on pharo1.1. I did the changes and uploaded a new version
>>> ---
>>> Name: GemTools-Client-NorbertHartl.544
>>> Author: NorbertHartl
>>> Time: 16 September 2010, 4:10:48 pm
>>> UUID: 615af061-1b38-4ee4-8f3b-93feb3e3c5b9
>>> Ancestors: GemTools-Client-DaleHenrichs.543
>>> Added missing asOOp calls. This calls have been removed in pharo 1.1
>>> Implemented ExternalAddress>>clone to avoid calling non-existing Object>>clone and to avoid doing an method override in ExternalAddress>>shallowcopy
>>> ---
>>> I was able to use a Pharo 1.1 Core image and do the following
>>> - base image PharoCore-1.1-11411.image
>>> - did Software updates
>>> - Settings -> allow underscore (GemTools need to ge rid of underscores)
>>> - Settings -> no deprecation blocking dialog (FFI raises those a lot)
>>> - Gofer new squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>>> package: 'ConfigurationOfGemTools';
>>> load
>>> ConfigurationOfGemTools project latestVersion load
>>> - needed new omnibrowser for pharo 1.1
>>> Gofer new squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>>> package: 'ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser';
>>> load
>>>
>>> ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser project latestVersion load
>>> - load GemTools-Client-NorbertHartl.544
>>> I did not do of the ConfigurationOfGemTools. Dale will pick it up when he is ready.
>>> hope you like it,
>>> Norbert

Re: GemTools for pharo 1.1

NorbertHartl

On 17.10.2010, at 14:24, Johan Brichau wrote:

> Is anyone using GemTools on Pharo1.1 on Mac OS X ?
>
> I am stuck trying to use the latest GemTools in a Pharo1.1.1 dev image on Mac OS X due to a 'space is low' warning when trying to connect to a stone.
>
> Here is my info:
>
> - Loaded latest version of GemTools in a Pharo1.1.1
> - Using Squeak VM 4.2.5beta1U on Mac OS X
> - copied the $Gemstone/lib32/libgcirpc.so to $SqueakVM/Contents/Resources/gciForMacintosh.so
>
> When trying to login to the stone, a low memory warning appears and keeps re-appearing....

I can reproduce it starting with a Pharo-1.1.1-dev10.09.image, installing gemstools and using the 4.2.5 vm. However I don't get this error with a 4.2.2 vm. Can you confirm this?

Norbert

> On 05 Oct 2010, at 01:53, Dale Henrichs wrote:
>
>> Norbert,
>>
>> I've just released GemTools version 1.0-beta.8.3 which incorporates all of your instructions into a Metacello Configuration (i.e. setting s updated, etc.).
>>
>> for folks running on Pharo 1.0, there are no functional changes.
>>
>> Thanks again, Norbert!
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I just investigated the needed changes to be able to run GemTools on pharo1.1. I did the changes and uploaded a new version
>>> ---
>>> Name: GemTools-Client-NorbertHartl.544
>>> Author: NorbertHartl
>>> Time: 16 September 2010, 4:10:48 pm
>>> UUID: 615af061-1b38-4ee4-8f3b-93feb3e3c5b9
>>> Ancestors: GemTools-Client-DaleHenrichs.543
>>> Added missing asOOp calls. This calls have been removed in pharo 1.1
>>> Implemented ExternalAddress>>clone to avoid calling non-existing Object>>clone and to avoid doing an method override in ExternalAddress>>shallowcopy
>>> ---
>>> I was able to use a Pharo 1.1 Core image and do the following
>>> - base image PharoCore-1.1-11411.image
>>> - did Software updates
>>> - Settings -> allow underscore (GemTools need to ge rid of underscores)
>>> - Settings -> no deprecation blocking dialog (FFI raises those a lot)
>>> - Gofer new squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>>> package: 'ConfigurationOfGemTools';
>>> load
>>> ConfigurationOfGemTools project latestVersion load
>>> - needed new omnibrowser for pharo 1.1
>>> Gofer new squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
>>> package: 'ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser';
>>> load
>>>
>>> ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser project latestVersion load
>>> - load GemTools-Client-NorbertHartl.544
>>> I did not do of the ConfigurationOfGemTools. Dale will pick it up when he is ready.
>>> hope you like it,
>>> Norbert

Re: GemTools for pharo 1.1

Johan Brichau-2
Hi Norbert,

Indeed! With a 4.2.2 VM it works fine.

Using a 4.2.5 VM, the value returned from #apiGciFetchSize: is obviously wrong (probably wrong address reference?). Its a huge number that can never be used as the size of an array, which leads to the 'low space warning' when the VM tries to make an array of that size.

On 18 Oct 2010, at 13:01, Norbert Hartl wrote:

> On 17.10.2010, at 14:24, Johan Brichau wrote:
>
>> Is anyone using GemTools on Pharo1.1 on Mac OS X ?
>>
>> I am stuck trying to use the latest GemTools in a Pharo1.1.1 dev image on Mac OS X due to a 'space is low' warning when trying to connect to a stone.
>>
>> Here is my info:
>>
>> - Loaded latest version of GemTools in a Pharo1.1.1
>> - Using Squeak VM 4.2.5beta1U on Mac OS X
>> - copied the $Gemstone/lib32/libgcirpc.so to $SqueakVM/Contents/Resources/gciForMacintosh.so
>>
>> When trying to login to the stone, a low memory warning appears and keeps re-appearing....
>>
> I can reproduce it starting with a Pharo-1.1.1-dev10.09.image, installing gemstools and using the 4.2.5 vm. However I don't get this error with a 4.2.2 vm. Can you confirm this?
>
> Norbert
>
>> On 05 Oct 2010, at 01:53, Dale Henrichs wrote:
>>
>>> Norbert,
>>>
>>> I've just released GemTools version 1.0-beta.8.3 which incorporates all of your instructions into a Metacello Configuration (i.e. setting s updated, etc.).
>>>
>>> for folks running on Pharo 1.0, there are no functional changes.
>>>
>>> Thanks again, Norbert!
>>>
>>> Dale

Re: GemTools for pharo 1.1

Johan Brichau-2
I also found and fixed some errors w.r.t the PopUpMenu usage in Pharo1.1

How do I commit my changes?

On 18 Oct 2010, at 14:28, Johan Brichau wrote:

> Hi Norbert,
>
> Indeed! With a 4.2.2 VM it works fine.
>
> Using a 4.2.5 VM, the value returned from #apiGciFetchSize: is obviously wrong (probably wrong address reference?). Its a huge number that can never be used as the size of an array, which leads to the 'low space warning' when the VM tries to make an array of that size.
>
> On 18 Oct 2010, at 13:01, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>

>> On 17.10.2010, at 14:24, Johan Brichau wrote:
>>
>>> Is anyone using GemTools on Pharo1.1 on Mac OS X ?
>>>
>>> I am stuck trying to use the latest GemTools in a Pharo1.1.1 dev image on Mac OS X due to a 'space is low' warning when trying to connect to a stone.
>>>
>>> Here is my info:
>>>
>>> - Loaded latest version of GemTools in a Pharo1.1.1
>>> - Using Squeak VM 4.2.5beta1U on Mac OS X
>>> - copied the $Gemstone/lib32/libgcirpc.so to $SqueakVM/Contents/Resources/gciForMacintosh.so
>>>
>>> When trying to login to the stone, a low memory warning appears and keeps re-appearing....
>>>
>> I can reproduce it starting with a Pharo-1.1.1-dev10.09.image, installing gemstools and using the 4.2.5 vm. However I don't get this error with a 4.2.2 vm. Can you confirm this?
>>
>> Norbert

Re: GemTools for pharo 1.1

Ramon Leon-5
On 10/4/2010 4:53 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> Norbert,
>
> I've just released GemTools version 1.0-beta.8.3 which incorporates all
> of your instructions into a Metacello Configuration (i.e. setting s
> updated, etc.).
>
> for folks running on Pharo 1.0, there are no functional changes.
>
> Thanks again, Norbert!
>
> Dale

Do GemTools work on the Cog VM running Pharo1.1?

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: GemTools for pharo 1.1

Dale Henrichs
Johan,

I've added you to the GLASS DEVS group on GemSource and added the GLASS
DEVS group to the GemStone Tools project on Gemsource
(http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/GemStone.html). So go ahead and check in
your updates and send mail to this list ... I'll incorporate your
changes into the GemTools configuration and make a release ...

Dale

On 10/18/2010 07:20 AM, Johan Brichau wrote:

> I also found and fixed some errors w.r.t the PopUpMenu usage in Pharo1.1
>
> How do I commit my changes?
>

> On 18 Oct 2010, at 14:28, Johan Brichau wrote:
>
>> Hi Norbert,
>>
>> Indeed! With a 4.2.2 VM it works fine.
>>
>> Using a 4.2.5 VM, the value returned from #apiGciFetchSize: is obviously wrong (probably wrong address reference?). Its a huge number that can never be used as the size of an array, which leads to the 'low space warning' when the VM tries to make an array of that size.

>>> I can reproduce it starting with a Pharo-1.1.1-dev10.09.image, installing gemstools and using the 4.2.5 vm. However I don't get this error with a 4.2.2 vm. Can you confirm this?
>>>
>>> Norbert

Re: GemTools for pharo 1.1

NorbertHartl

On 18.10.2010, at 18:21, Ramon Leon wrote:

> On 10/4/2010 4:53 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:
>> Norbert,
>>
>> I've just released GemTools version 1.0-beta.8.3 which incorporates all
>> of your instructions into a Metacello Configuration (i.e. setting s
>> updated, etc.).
>>
>> for folks running on Pharo 1.0, there are no functional changes.
>>
>> Thanks again, Norbert!
>>
>> Dale
>
> Do GemTools work on the Cog VM running Pharo1.1?

I don't think so. I tried it once and failed. From this time on I assumed that FFI is not working in Cog vm. But I really would be proven wrong.

Norbert

Re: GemTools for pharo 1.1

Dale Henrichs
On 10/18/2010 09:53 AM, Norbert Hartl wrote:

> On 18.10.2010, at 18:21, Ramon Leon wrote:
>
>> On 10/4/2010 4:53 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:
>>> Norbert,
>>>
>>> I've just released GemTools version 1.0-beta.8.3 which incorporates all
>>> of your instructions into a Metacello Configuration (i.e. setting s
>>> updated, etc.).
>>>
>>> for folks running on Pharo 1.0, there are no functional changes.
>>>
>>> Thanks again, Norbert!
>>>
>>> Dale
>>
>> Do GemTools work on the Cog VM running Pharo1.1?
>
> I don't think so. I tried it once and failed. From this time on I assumed that FFI is not working in Cog vm. But I really would be proven wrong.
>
> Norbert

If FFI support is availalbe in the Cog vm, then I should probably take
it for a spin...a quick google search doesn't tell me whether FFI is
functional not...

Dale

Re: GemTools for pharo 1.1

Ramon Leon-5
On 10/18/2010 10:00 AM, Dale Henrichs wrote:
> If FFI support is availalbe in the Cog vm, then I should probably take
> it for a spin...a quick google search doesn't tell me whether FFI is
> functional not...
>
> Dale

I think it works, doesn't CommandShell require FFI to shell out to
Linux?  If so, I've been using CommandShell with Cog to shell out to
curl for an https connection successfully to post to PayPal.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com

Re: GemTools for pharo 1.1

Johan Brichau-2
Thanks Dale! I have uploaded the changes. They should also work in Pharo1.0. I have not tested it but verified if the API was present in a Pharo1.0 image.

It would be great to have the tools working in Cog, btw. However, given that the 4.2.5 VM gives errors, I suspect it will not work out of the box.