Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gemstone 3.1 release candidate is available

Dale Henrichs
Gemstone 3.1 release candidate is available for Mac[1] and Linux[2]. The Linux Install Guide for 3.1[3] and 3.1 Release Notes[4] are also available.

If you want to try out your application on 3.1 (without upgrading), feel free, but keep in mind that this is a release candidate and we may find bugs between now and release, so you don't want to use this release for anything but testing.

If you want to use this for upgrade testing, keep in mind that you will want to make sure that your application loads into a virgin 3.1 repository (extent0.seaside.dbf) and passes unit tests before attempting an upgrade ... Part of the upgrade process loads your Metacello configurations along with the GLASS configuration at a particular step in the upgrade process. See the Install Guide[3] for upgrade instructions.

I do not have a one-click GemTools for 3.1, yet. So, you will want to roll your own.

Copy an existing GemTools image (update to GemTools 1.0-beta.8.7) to a fresh directory (along with the sources file) and copy these two libraries from the $GEMSTONE/lib32 directory:

libssl-3.1.0-32.so
  libgcirpc-3.1.0-32.so

and create a symbolic link from gciForLinux.so to libgcirpc-3.1.0-32.so.

Please email me (or the list) with any problems including problems with the documentation (the docs aren't finalized).

Dale

[1] ftp://ftp.gemstone.com/pub/GemStone64/3.1.0-EA/GemStone64Bit3.1.0rc28635-i386.Darwin.zip
[2] ftp://ftp.gemstone.com/pub/GemStone64/3.1.0-EA/GemStone64Bit3.1.0rc28635-x86_64.Linux.zip
[3] ftp://ftp.gemstone.com/pub/GemStone64/3.1.0-EA/GS64-InstallGuide-Linux-3.1-DRAFT.pdf
[4] ftp://ftp.gemstone.com/pub/GemStone64/3.1.0-EA/GS64-ReleaseNotes-3.1-PRELIMINARY_DRAFT.pdf
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gemstone 3.1 release candidate is available

Dale Henrichs
GemTools one-click for 3.1 is available for download[1]. I've tested it on Linux, but not mac (... my mac is at home).

Let me know if you have any troubles ... I plan to  rebuild the GemTools for 3.1 as there are few things I still want to clean up ...

Dale

[1] ftp://ftp.gemstone.com/pub/GemStone64/3.1.0-EA/GemTools1.0-beta.8.7.zip

----- Original Message -----
| From: "Dale Henrichs" <[hidden email]>
| To: "GemStone Seaside beta discussion" <[hidden email]>
| Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 4:01:00 PM
| Subject: [GS/SS Beta] Gemstone 3.1 release candidate is available
|
| Gemstone 3.1 release candidate is available for Mac[1] and Linux[2].
| The Linux Install Guide for 3.1[3] and 3.1 Release Notes[4] are also
| available.
|
| If you want to try out your application on 3.1 (without upgrading),
| feel free, but keep in mind that this is a release candidate and we
| may find bugs between now and release, so you don't want to use this
| release for anything but testing.
|
| If you want to use this for upgrade testing, keep in mind that you
| will want to make sure that your application loads into a virgin 3.1
| repository (extent0.seaside.dbf) and passes unit tests before
| attempting an upgrade ... Part of the upgrade process loads your
| Metacello configurations along with the GLASS configuration at a
| particular step in the upgrade process. See the Install Guide[3] for
| upgrade instructions.
|
| I do not have a one-click GemTools for 3.1, yet. So, you will want to
| roll your own.
|
| Copy an existing GemTools image (update to GemTools 1.0-beta.8.7) to
| a fresh directory (along with the sources file) and copy these two
| libraries from the $GEMSTONE/lib32 directory:
|
|   libssl-3.1.0-32.so
|   libgcirpc-3.1.0-32.so
|
| and create a symbolic link from gciForLinux.so to
| libgcirpc-3.1.0-32.so.
|
| Please email me (or the list) with any problems including problems
| with the documentation (the docs aren't finalized).
|
| Dale
|
| [1]
| ftp://ftp.gemstone.com/pub/GemStone64/3.1.0-EA/GemStone64Bit3.1.0rc28635-i386.Darwin.zip
| [2]
| ftp://ftp.gemstone.com/pub/GemStone64/3.1.0-EA/GemStone64Bit3.1.0rc28635-x86_64.Linux.zip
| [3]
| ftp://ftp.gemstone.com/pub/GemStone64/3.1.0-EA/GS64-InstallGuide-Linux-3.1-DRAFT.pdf
| [4]
| ftp://ftp.gemstone.com/pub/GemStone64/3.1.0-EA/GS64-ReleaseNotes-3.1-PRELIMINARY_DRAFT.pdf
|
Reply | Threaded
|

Conrad Taylor
In reply to this post by Dale Henrichs
On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 4:01 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
Gemstone 3.1 release candidate is available for Mac[1] and Linux[2]. The Linux Install Guide for 3.1[3] and 3.1 Release Notes[4] are also available.

If you want to try out your application on 3.1 (without upgrading), feel free, but keep in mind that this is a release candidate and we may find bugs between now and release, so you don't want to use this release for anything but testing.

If you want to use this for upgrade testing, keep in mind that you will want to make sure that your application loads into a virgin 3.1 repository (extent0.seaside.dbf) and passes unit tests before attempting an upgrade ... Part of the upgrade process loads your Metacello configurations along with the GLASS configuration at a particular step in the upgrade process. See the Install Guide[3] for upgrade instructions.

I do not have a one-click GemTools for 3.1, yet. So, you will want to roll your own.

Copy an existing GemTools image (update to GemTools 1.0-beta.8.7) to a fresh directory (along with the sources file) and copy these two libraries from the $GEMSTONE/lib32 directory:

libssl-3.1.0-32.so
 libgcirpc-3.1.0-32.so

and create a symbolic link from gciForLinux.so to libgcirpc-3.1.0-32.so.

Please email me (or the list) with any problems including problems with the documentation (the docs aren't finalized).

Dale

Dale, thanks for the update and I'll give it a go this weekend.

-Conrad

[1] ftp://ftp.gemstone.com/pub/GemStone64/3.1.0-EA/GemStone64Bit3.1.0rc28635-i386.Darwin.zip
[2] ftp://ftp.gemstone.com/pub/GemStone64/3.1.0-EA/GemStone64Bit3.1.0rc28635-x86_64.Linux.zip
[3] ftp://ftp.gemstone.com/pub/GemStone64/3.1.0-EA/GS64-InstallGuide-Linux-3.1-DRAFT.pdf
[4] ftp://ftp.gemstone.com/pub/GemStone64/3.1.0-EA/GS64-ReleaseNotes-3.1-PRELIMINARY_DRAFT.pdf

--

Think different and code well,

-Conrad

Reply | Threaded
|

Gerhard Obermann
In reply to this post by Dale Henrichs
Hi Dale!

Great news.

I am missing the gci windows dll for GemTools.
I tried also Jade (with 3.1 libs) but no success.

Gerhard
Reply | Threaded
|

James Foster-8
Hi Gerhard,

I've updated http://seaside.gemstone.com/jade/Jade.zip with the latest (including Windows DLLs).

James

On Jun 27, 2012, at 11:56 AM, Gerhard Obermann wrote:

> Hi Dale!
>
> Great news.
>
> I am missing the gci windows dll for GemTools.
> I tried also Jade (with 3.1 libs) but no success.
>
> Gerhard