Gemstone 3.6.0 is now working with GsDevKit (in a ", " locale oriented environment)

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gemstone 3.6.0 is now working with GsDevKit (in a ", " locale oriented environment)

GLASS mailing list
That's good news. Thanks to Dale for his work !

Marten

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gemstone 3.6.0 is now working with GsDevKit (in a ", " locale oriented environment)

GLASS mailing list
So I have a stone running GemStone 3.6.0 (limited edition) and I'd like to configure it to enable development using GsDevKit_home. The documentation seems a bit dated and I'm curious how I can get started?

My only experience developing against GS so far is using Jade on Windows, but I'm interested to explore GsDevKit_home as an alternative. Any pointers to understanding how to use it and how it works greatly appreciated. I am familiar with Pharo 8, but versions earlier than 7 I have not used.

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 2:02 AM Marten Feldtmann via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:

Marten

--
Bob Calco

813-997-3583 (work mobile)
813-523-3751 (personal mobile)

"But you can catch yourself entertaining habitually certain ideas and setting others aside; and this, I think, is where our personal destinies are largely decided." -- Alfred North Whitehead

"And now I see with eye serene the very pulse of the machine." -- William Wordsworth

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gemstone 3.6.0 is now working with GsDevKit (in a ", " locale oriented environment)

GLASS mailing list
Hi Robert,

The documentation is still current. To check I just setup a 3.6.0 on ubuntu and MacOS following the steps under “Installation” here:

The only thing that “appears” dated is the name of the stone being setup. In the instructions is has "createStone devKit_343 3.4.3”. You just need to replace that with “createStone myStoneName 3.6.0”

After you have run the last line of the install “installClient tocd1” in the same shell enter:

startClient tode1

That will launch the tODE dev kit in Pharo that you created with “installClient tode1". There are menu options from there to connect to the stone and show the “project list” which is a good place to start.

Cheers,

J

On 5 Feb 2021, at 12:53 pm, Robert Calco via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:

So I have a stone running GemStone 3.6.0 (limited edition) and I'd like to configure it to enable development using GsDevKit_home. The documentation seems a bit dated and I'm curious how I can get started?

My only experience developing against GS so far is using Jade on Windows, but I'm interested to explore GsDevKit_home as an alternative. Any pointers to understanding how to use it and how it works greatly appreciated. I am familiar with Pharo 8, but versions earlier than 7 I have not used.

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 2:02 AM Marten Feldtmann via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:

Marten

--
Bob Calco

"But you can catch yourself entertaining habitually certain ideas and setting others aside; and this, I think, is where our personal destinies are largely decided." -- Alfred North Whitehead

"And now I see with eye serene the very pulse of the machine." -- William Wordsworth

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list
In reply to this post by GLASS mailing list

Hello Robert,

The documentation is a bit old, but other than the versions of GemStone, the functionality hasn't change much. Unfortunately I am not a good writer, so the documentation does suffer. If you (oar anyone else) has a gift for writing I would welcome contributions:)

The basic shell commands for manipulating stones are:

• createStone
  • stopStone
  • startStone
  • deleteStone
  • startTopaz
  • newExtent
  • startNetldi
  • stopNetldi

Each of the scripts has help (-h option) that describes the script in more detail. The basic theory of operation is that each stone is named, so you can easily manage multiple stones and multiple versions of GemStone.

When you create a stone a directory $GS_HOME/server/stones/<stone-name> is created and this directory is where all of the files associated with the stone are located (logs, extents. tranlogs, symbolic link to product tree, etc.).  All of the above commands take a <stone-name> as an argument ... If you are familiar with GemStone every GemStone command requires the $GEMSTONE env variable to be defined and in GsDevKit_home, $GEMSTONE is defined in the scripts themselves using the <stone-name> as a lookup key. It is easy to manage multiple stones in the same shell window without worrying about constantly setting your $GEMSTONE env var.

GsDevKit_home was created so that it would be easier to work with GLASS/GsDevKit. GLASS/GsDefKit is basically a collection of several github based projects that provides a pharo-compatibility layer for running Seaside as well as other open source projects that have been ported from Pharo to GLASS/GsDevKit.

tODE was originally created as a full-featured development for GLASS/GsDevKit, but whether or not you use tODE for development (many if not most of the GsDevKit_home users develop in Pharo and deploy in GemStone), tODE provides support for loading and managing projects and should be included when you are creating stones/projects in GsDevKit_home.

Over the last several years we have been working on Rowan (replacement for Metacello/Monticello), Jadeite (Rowan-based dev GUI based on Dolphin and forked from Jade) and Sparkle (Rowan-based dev GUI based on Pharo) ... when the Rowan eco-system is ready for prime-time, the github-based projects will be converted to Rowan and tODE will no longer be a "required" component of GsDevKit_home.

Hopefully, this will give you a bit more information and feel free to ask more questions.

Dale

On 2/4/21 5:53 PM, Robert Calco via Glass wrote:

Marten

--
Bob Calco

Reply | Threaded
|

GLASS mailing list
Thanks, Dale!

The Rowan ecosystem sounds interesting. What pain points of Metacello/Monticello does it address?

Dolphin UX is great but I wish it ran 64 bit and on GTK or wxWidgets and was cross platform. Alas, we want it all. 

Pharo UX is OK but I look forward to something transcending Morphic. Bloc, whatever. Otherwise I quite enjoy the Pharo developer experience. So both Jadeite and Sparkle sound great, too.

A web based dev environment seems all the rage, and is architecturally interesting, but I don't especially enjoy web coding unless it's on the reactive paradigm (React.js, Elm (I love Elm), ClojureScript). I don't see AmberJS taking off even among Smalltalkers, for some reason.

It may make more sense for me to stick with Jade for now but otherwise get involved in Rowan (and possibly Jadeite) and contribute to making Pharo UX nicer. If nothing else I may fully understand Rowan by the time it goes "prime time." I'm really not psyched going retro all the way back to Pharo 3 on 32 bit.

On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 12:12 PM Dale Henrichs via Glass <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Robert,

The documentation is a bit old, but other than the versions of GemStone, the functionality hasn't change much. Unfortunately I am not a good writer, so the documentation does suffer. If you (oar anyone else) has a gift for writing I would welcome contributions:)

The basic shell commands for manipulating stones are:

• createStone
  • stopStone
  • startStone
  • deleteStone
  • startTopaz
  • newExtent
  • startNetldi
  • stopNetldi

Each of the scripts has help (-h option) that describes the script in more detail. The basic theory of operation is that each stone is named, so you can easily manage multiple stones and multiple versions of GemStone.

When you create a stone a directory $GS_HOME/server/stones/<stone-name> is created and this directory is where all of the files associated with the stone are located (logs, extents. tranlogs, symbolic link to product tree, etc.).  All of the above commands take a <stone-name> as an argument ... If you are familiar with GemStone every GemStone command requires the $GEMSTONE env variable to be defined and in GsDevKit_home, $GEMSTONE is defined in the scripts themselves using the <stone-name> as a lookup key. It is easy to manage multiple stones in the same shell window without worrying about constantly setting your $GEMSTONE env var.

GsDevKit_home was created so that it would be easier to work with GLASS/GsDevKit. GLASS/GsDefKit is basically a collection of several github based projects that provides a pharo-compatibility layer for running Seaside as well as other open source projects that have been ported from Pharo to GLASS/GsDevKit.

tODE was originally created as a full-featured development for GLASS/GsDevKit, but whether or not you use tODE for development (many if not most of the GsDevKit_home users develop in Pharo and deploy in GemStone), tODE provides support for loading and managing projects and should be included when you are creating stones/projects in GsDevKit_home.

Over the last several years we have been working on Rowan (replacement for Metacello/Monticello), Jadeite (Rowan-based dev GUI based on Dolphin and forked from Jade) and Sparkle (Rowan-based dev GUI based on Pharo) ... when the Rowan eco-system is ready for prime-time, the github-based projects will be converted to Rowan and tODE will no longer be a "required" component of GsDevKit_home.

Hopefully, this will give you a bit more information and feel free to ask more questions.

Dale

On 2/4/21 5:53 PM, Robert Calco via Glass wrote:

Marten

--
Bob Calco

--
Bob Calco