Gemstone/S fresh install, development woes

Gemstone/S fresh install, development woes

crux_op
Hi, I've been taking a look at Gemstone/S for the past week or so, and I'm curious what is the proper way to develop in it?

Do we develop in Pharo, then deploy to Gemstone? If so, how do you deal with the languages being different?

Or are you supposed to develop in the Glass appliance?

Lastly, another question, I've tried installing gemstone on another machine on the LAN then connecting to it. I started netdli, and the seaside stones but when I go to connect remotely through Pharo on another machine, it fails.

The error log on the Gemstone/S machine reads:

GemStone: Error         Fatal
The GemStone session has lost its connection to the Stone Repository
monitor., SocketRead failed
Error Category: 231169 [GemStone] Number: 4035 Arg Count: 1 Context : 20

What could be the issue there?

Re: Gemstone/S fresh install, development woes

SeanTAllen
On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Running Game <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi, I've been taking a look at Gemstone/S for the past week or so, and I'm curious what is the proper way to develop in it?
>
> Do we develop in Pharo, then deploy to Gemstone? If so, how do you deal with the languages being different?
>
> Or are you supposed to develop in the Glass appliance?

Recommended rule of thumb is develop in pharo where you have better
tool support and then 'port' to gemstone.
Once you know what you are doing and have a few simple little
compatibility libraries together ( to deal with things like how to get
access to globals and other mundane issues ), 'porting' becomes a bit
of a misnomer. Usually porting once you are going means loading code
into gemstone and away you go, although, from time to time you will
find you are using a method from pharo that isn't in gemstone. fixing
issues like that is usually pretty easy.

-Sean-

footnote - I do know of one person who liked developing using Gemtools
better ( say hi joel ), but he was obviously dropped at birth.

Re: Gemstone/S fresh install, development woes

Dale Henrichs
Running Game wrote:

> Hi, I've been taking a look at Gemstone/S for the past week or so, and I'm curious what is the proper way to develop in it?
>
> Do we develop in Pharo, then deploy to Gemstone? If so, how do you deal with the languages being different?
>
> Or are you supposed to develop in the Glass appliance?
>
> Lastly, another question, I've tried installing gemstone on another machine on the LAN then connecting to it. I started netdli, and the seaside stones but when I go to connect remotely through Pharo on another machine, it fails.
>
> The error log on the Gemstone/S machine reads:
>
> GemStone: Error         Fatal
> The GemStone session has lost its connection to the Stone Repository
> monitor., SocketRead failed
> Error Category: 231169 [GemStone] Number: 4035 Arg Count: 1 Context : 20
>
> What could be the issue there?

Dear Running:),

The currently available GLASS appliance is out-of-date. There is an
up-to-date appliance in the works that should be available within the
next week or so.

The tools are better in Pharo, so it makes a lot of sense to do your
development with the caveat (as Sean alludes to) that you are somewhat
aware of the differences in the environment ... If you are just getting
started with Smalltalk, then you should definitely get your feet wet
with Pharo ...

Dale