Gemstone/S questions

Sophie424
Hi,

1. Will Squeak OB-based tools run in the Gemstone/S setup? Specifically
thinking of Lukas' really great set (now included in 3.9.1) with the
improved browser, environment browser, re-factoring tools, and the
search/re-write tools.

2. What happens to Squeak code that uses Traits when Monticello's into
Gemstone? Do the traits disappear and is the trait code replicated for each
usage? How about then moving back into Squeak (all via Monticello)?

Thanks!

Sophie

Re: Gemstone/S questions

stephane ducasse

On Apr 11, 2008, at 4:02 PM, itsme213 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 1. Will Squeak OB-based tools run in the Gemstone/S setup?
> Specifically
> thinking of Lukas' really great set (now included in 3.9.1) with the
> improved browser, environment browser, re-factoring tools, and the
> search/re-write tools.
>
> 2. What happens to Squeak code that uses Traits when Monticello's into
> Gemstone? Do the traits disappear and is the trait code replicated
> for each
> usage? How about then moving back into Squeak (all via Monticello)?

for the traits and that question, I really do not know.
I imagine that the methods have to be copied in each classes.

> Thanks!
>
> Sophie

Re: Gemstone/S questions

Dale
itsme213 wrote:

>Hi,
>
>1. Will Squeak OB-based tools run in the Gemstone/S setup? Specifically
>thinking of Lukas' really great set (now included in 3.9.1) with the
>improved browser, environment browser, re-factoring tools, and the
>search/re-write tools.

The short answer is that it would take a bit of work to run the
OB-Extensions and the re-factoring tools in GemStone, which translates
to no...

The long answer is that early on I made a decision to "clone" the
OB-Standard package, rather than port it to GemStone (I was worried
that  GemStone-specific classes would have to live in both Squeak and
GemStone) as a result, using packages like OB-Extensions (which _should_
work in GemStone without many mods) don't, mainly because the class
names are different.

I plan to port OB-Standard to GemStone/S with the intent to make
OB-Extensions loadable in GemStone...The refactoring tools may be a bit
more work (there are other folks that will be helping with the work),
but I'm imagining that once we get to the point where OB-Standard is
more or less common between GemStone and Squeak, the rest of the work
should be straight forward.

>2. What happens to Squeak code that uses Traits when Monticello's into
>Gemstone? Do the traits disappear and is the trait code replicated for each
>usage? How about then moving back into Squeak (all via Monticello)?

GemStone doesn't support Traits and I haven't ported the Monticello
traits extensions to GemStone either, so Monticello packages with traits
won't load...

Dale

Re: Gemstone/S questions

Sophie424
"Dale Henrichs" <[hidden email]> wrote in message

> I'm imagining that once we get to the point where OB-Standard is more or
> less common between GemStone and Squeak, the rest of the work should be
> straight forward.

Look forward to it! I tend to quickly miss good development tools that I got
used to, suspect most Squeakers do :-)

>>2. What happens to Squeak code that uses Traits when Monticello's into
>>Gemstone? Do the traits disappear and is the trait code replicated for
>>each usage? How about then moving back into Squeak (all via Monticello)?
>>
> GemStone doesn't support Traits and I haven't ported the Monticello traits
> extensions to GemStone either, so Monticello packages with traits won't
> load...

Ah, probably a point worth mentioning on both the Traits & Gemstone sides.

Thanks,

Sophie