Gemstone / Smalltalk Developer

Brian Kim-2
Hi all,

My name is Brian and I work for a start-up based in Southern California. We have a passionate team developing next generation location applications for mobile phones, starting with the iPhone. We're super excited about our projects and the technologies that we are using to build them.

We are building an innovative social database application and looking into utilizing Gemstone/S, Seaside, and Magritte. We have a lead developer who is familiar with these languages as well, but we want to bring in someone very talented to head this application while we focus on expanding to more platforms.

We have full time and contract work available depending on schedule and preferences. If you are interested, please feel free to contact Mahmoud (contact info below). We'd love to meet or have a phone call to talk about details.

Mahmoud Hafez
[hidden email]
www.proximi.com
661-645-1873

Thank you!

Re: Gemstone / Smalltalk Developer

Randal L. Schwartz

Brian> We have full time and contract work available depending on schedule and
Brian> preferences. If you are interested, please feel free to contact Mahmoud
Brian> (contact info below). We'd love to meet or have a phone call to talk
Brian> about details.

Please remember to post jobs at http://smalltalkjobs.dabbledb.com/ as well
as (instead of?) here.  If you did so, please disclose that so that
later posters will see the trend.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: Gemstone / Smalltalk Developer

Brian Kim-2
Hi Randall,

Thanks for the smalltalkjobs suggestion. I've been in touch with James Savidge and he will be posting it on the website as soon as he gets a chance. He has been very helpful.

Thank you!

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 12:22 PM, Randal L. Schwartz <[hidden email]> wrote:

Brian> We have full time and contract work available depending on schedule and
Brian> preferences. If you are interested, please feel free to contact Mahmoud
Brian> (contact info below). We'd love to meet or have a phone call to talk
Brian> about details.

Please remember to post jobs at http://smalltalkjobs.dabbledb.com/ as well
as (instead of?) here.  If you did so, please disclose that so that
later posters will see the trend.

Re: Gemstone / Smalltalk Developer

Rajeev Lochan
http://www.goodstart.com/jobs.shtml

Its also a good place for SmallTalk related Jobs, though some junk/spam postings have crept in somehow recently.

HTH,
Rajeev
http://www.smallguru.com

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 1:02 AM, Brian Kim <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Randall,

Thanks for the smalltalkjobs suggestion. I've been in touch with James Savidge and he will be posting it on the website as soon as he gets a chance. He has been very helpful.

Thank you!

Brian> We have full time and contract work available depending on schedule and
Brian> preferences. If you are interested, please feel free to contact Mahmoud
Brian> (contact info below). We'd love to meet or have a phone call to talk
Brian> about details.

Please remember to post jobs at http://smalltalkjobs.dabbledb.com/ as well
as (instead of?) here.  If you did so, please disclose that so that
later posters will see the trend.

Email job listings (was: Gemstone / Smalltalk Developer)

Ron Teitelbaum

Hi All,

Although I’ve never actually followed up on a job listing here, its fun to watch local Smalltalk positions from this site.  It sends you emails when something pops up.  I got this email today.  From what I can tell it just queries other sites and sends you links.

http://www.indeed.com/

Indeed Daily Job Alert

smalltalk jobs in baltimore, maryland

View jobs: since yesterday - for last 7 days - all jobs

2 new jobs found

Senior Smalltalk Developer - Get 80% of the bill rate
Precision System Design - Washington, DC
Smalltalk WE GIVE YOU AT LEAST 80% OF THE BILL RATE... Smalltalk positions. This is a long-term contract. Essential Skills: - 3+ years Smalltalk Plusses: - Team...
From Dice - 8:26 PM - save job, email, block, more...

Smalltalk Developer - Get 80% of the bill rate
Precision System Design - Washington, DC
looking for an excellent Smalltalk developer to join... models is critical. Essential Skills: - 3+ years Smalltalk experience - excellent OO design skills - good...
From Dice - 8:17 PM - save job, email, block, more...

Ron

Its also a good place for SmallTalk related Jobs, though some junk/spam postings have crept in somehow recently.

HTH,
Rajeev
http://www.smallguru.com

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 1:02 AM, Brian Kim <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Randall,

Thanks for the smalltalkjobs suggestion. I've been in touch with James Savidge and he will be posting it on the website as soon as he gets a chance. He has been very helpful.

Thank you!

Brian> We have full time and contract work available depending on schedule and
Brian> preferences. If you are interested, please feel free to contact Mahmoud
Brian> (contact info below). We'd love to meet or have a phone call to talk
Brian> about details.

Please remember to post jobs at http://smalltalkjobs.dabbledb.com/ as well
as (instead of?) here.  If you did so, please disclose that so that
later posters will see the trend.

Re: Gemstone / Smalltalk Developer

Randal L. Schwartz

Rajeev> http://www.goodstart.com/jobs.shtml
Rajeev> Its also a good place for SmallTalk related Jobs, though some junk/spam
Rajeev> postings have crept in somehow recently.

First, it's not SmallTalk.

Second, it's been *very* helpful to the Perl community to get precisely one
place for all serious jobs in precisely one place: jobs.perl.org.  Because
then all the smart people look there, and all the clueful employers post
there, and it's also free.  And the stats at http://jobs.perl.org/about/stats
show that Perl is far from dead.

I'm trying to do the same thing for Smalltalk.  Please support me in that.
Don't point at other places.  Get *them* to post at
http://smalltalkjobs.dabbledb.com.  It will be good for all of us overall.
Truly.

The DabbleDB interface has many RSS feeds for particular areas, and can
be pulled out and searched in detail.  It's also all in Smalltalk,
which is a good demo.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: Gemstone / Smalltalk Developer

garduino
Hi Randal:

First, let me thanks you by your effort to focus in only one place the
smalltalk jobs possibilities.

About  http://smalltalkjobs.dabbledb.com I think in at least two thing
that should exist to be more useful:

1. The possibility of mark / search jobs as "Telecommute" (a real
possibility in our current connected world) as http://jobs.perl.org/
permits.

2. By example in "jobs by date" or in "all open positiones" ever
appear first the oldest dates and I not found how to change it (Seems
that isn't possible to order by columns).

Cheers.
gsa.

2008/6/26 Randal L. Schwartz <[hidden email]>:

> Rajeev> http://www.goodstart.com/jobs.shtml
> Rajeev> Its also a good place for SmallTalk related Jobs, though some junk/spam
> Rajeev> postings have crept in somehow recently.
>
> First, it's not SmallTalk.
>
> Second, it's been *very* helpful to the Perl community to get precisely one
> place for all serious jobs in precisely one place: jobs.perl.org.  Because
> then all the smart people look there, and all the clueful employers post
> there, and it's also free.  And the stats at http://jobs.perl.org/about/stats
> show that Perl is far from dead.
>
> I'm trying to do the same thing for Smalltalk.  Please support me in that.
> Don't point at other places.  Get *them* to post at
> http://smalltalkjobs.dabbledb.com.  It will be good for all of us overall.
> Truly.
>
> The DabbleDB interface has many RSS feeds for particular areas, and can
> be pulled out and searched in detail.  It's also all in Smalltalk,
> which is a good demo.

> <[hidden email]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
> See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: Gemstone / Smalltalk Developer

Randal L. Schwartz

Todd> Not instead of please - I don't watch websites - too hard to track what
Todd> is new, I do watch email lists.

So you aren't subscribing to anything via RSS either?  There are RSS
feeds on this site, including some very specialized entries.

I mean, if you're not even watching RSS, you make my old-school biases look
like I'm a web 2.0 baby. :)

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: Gemstone / Smalltalk Developer

Chris Dawson
And, you can put together a Yahoo Pipe to filter those and then email results to you.  Yahoo Pipes is so cool.

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 5:09 PM, Randal L. Schwartz <[hidden email]> wrote:

Todd> Not instead of please - I don't watch websites - too hard to track what
Todd> is new, I do watch email lists.

So you aren't subscribing to anything via RSS either?  There are RSS
feeds on this site, including some very specialized entries.

I mean, if you're not even watching RSS, you make my old-school biases look
like I'm a web 2.0 baby. :)

Re: Gemstone / Smalltalk Developer

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)

But still, until the job market improves to the point of dozens of emails a day, I don't see a problem with just emailing a list, which is where your best chance of finding someone actually is on top of posting to job sites etc.

Cheers!

-Boris (via BlackBerry)

And, you can put together a Yahoo Pipe to filter those and then email results to you.  Yahoo Pipes is so cool.

Todd> Not instead of please - I don't watch websites - too hard to track what
Todd> is new, I do watch email lists.

So you aren't subscribing to anything via RSS either?  There are RSS
feeds on this site, including some very specialized entries.

I mean, if you're not even watching RSS, you make my old-school biases look
like I'm a web 2.0 baby. :)

Re: Gemstone / Smalltalk Developer

tblanchard

RSS, is just another distraction mostly.  I don't use it.

Seriously, the Smalltalk market is so small that you can pretty much find all available ops in the US by watching vwnc, squeak, and getting onto Precision's mailing list.  I'm not really seeing a reason to change that.

The problem with websites is they tend to accumulate a lot of out of date listings and nobody cleans them up.

Experienced Smalltalk developerSmalltalkSacramento, CAContractName your priceRobert Half Technologygroups.google.comFrom the posting on comp.lang.smalltalk: “...Name your price, but they
are looking for a senior level if not "expert" on smalltalk. They have
programmers that are working with it now and are familiar, but they
would like to have a very senior level person on staff. ...” 1/12/07 JTS.

Is this really still open?  February 2007?  As time goes on these will accumulate like cruft and the resource gets less good.  I mean, try searching Monster or Dice for Smalltalk gigs - a lot of listings that are ancient pop up.

I prefer to see the fresh listings on the mailing list as they are posted.  I have a much higher success rate that way.  The same is true for scoring Cocoa jobs BTW.  I've scooped several decent gigs off the Cocoa developers list, but never connected on one that I found through conventional job postings.

On Jun 29, 2008, at 5:09 PM, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

"Todd" == Todd Blanchard <[hidden email]> writes:

Todd> Not instead of please - I don't watch websites - too hard to track what
Todd> is new, I do watch email lists.

So you aren't subscribing to anything via RSS either?  There are RSS
feeds on this site, including some very specialized entries.

I mean, if you're not even watching RSS, you make my old-school biases look
like I'm a web 2.0 baby. :)

Re: Gemstone / Smalltalk Developer

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)

+1

Cheers!

-Boris (via BlackBerry)

Re: Gemstone / Smalltalk Developer

James Robertson-7
mm, can't say I agree with that.

How about, -2

:)

James Robertson
Cincom Smalltalk Product Evangelist
Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library

On Jul 1, 2008, at 1:08 PM, Boris Popov wrote:

+1

Cheers!

-Boris (via BlackBerry)

Re: Gemstone / Smalltalk Developer

Marcin Tustin
What about people who join the mailing list a day too late? They'd have to search the archive, which would...turn up a lot of out-of-date postings, except without the same quality of metadata, and quite possibly a bunch of entirely irrelevant postings.

Experienced Smalltalk developer Smalltalk <a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Sacramento%2C%20CA" style="font-size:100%;text-decoration:none;margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;list-style-type:none;border-top-color:rgb(158, 154, 145);border-right-color:rgb(158, 154, 145);border-bottom-color:rgb(158, 154, 145);border-left-color:rgb(158, 154, 145);border-top-style:solid;border-right-style:solid;border-bottom-style:solid;border-left-style:solid;border-top-width:0px;border-right-width:0px;border-bottom-width:0px;border-left-width:0px;color:rgb(0, 51, 153)" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">Sacramento, CA Contract Name your price Robert Half Technology <a href="http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.smalltalk/browse_thread/thread/c7c23cb910608fe0/da996a72264003ee#da996a72264003ee" style="font-size:100%;text-decoration:none;margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0px;padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;list-style-type:none;border-top-color:rgb(158, 154, 145);border-right-color:rgb(158, 154, 145);border-bottom-color:rgb(158, 154, 145);border-left-color:rgb(158, 154, 145);border-top-style:solid;border-right-style:solid;border-bottom-style:solid;border-left-style:solid;border-top-width:0px;border-right-width:0px;border-bottom-width:0px;border-left-width:0px;color:rgb(0, 51, 153)" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">groups.google.com >From the posting on comp.lang.smalltalk: "...Name your price, but they
[...]

<[hidden email]> <URL:<a href="http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
See <a href="http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/seaside" target="_blank">http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/seaside

Re: Gemstone / Smalltalk Developer

Tim M
I agree with James (-2) - I subscribe via RSS to get postings in the European
union and it works great.

If you want it via email, most email clients will read an RSS feed and put
it in your inbox (outlook does, as does thunderbird) - if you use Gmail then
in firefox you can get the rss feed that way?

Tim

Re: Re: Gemstone / Smalltalk Developer

tblanchard
for you.

Look, if you wanna reach the most people who are actually doing
smalltalk, what I said is the best way to hit them.

If you wanna reach a subset that also likes to fiddle with rss, by all
means just post to that website.  Don't complain when nobody applies.