Gemstone and Pharo aligment

GLASS mailing list
Ciao,

        I development with Pharo  7.0 and  deployment with Gemstone.

        I have a method is defined both in Pharo and in Gemstone.

        For example Collection includesAllOf:

        Now this method is deprecate in Pharo to: includesAll:

                but Gemstone ( 3.4.2 ) does not define includesAll: method.

        How is it best to behave when these problematic are found?

        Thanks,

                Dario

Re: Gemstone and Pharo aligment

GLASS mailing list

I would have hoped that some of the folks doing develop in Pharo deploy in GemStone would have answered this question ... as there are several ways to approach this ...

  1. add includesAll: to Pharo7.0 to a 'Gemstone-Compat' package that you maintain and load into your pharo image
  2. add includesAllOf: to a 'Pharo70-Compat' package that you maintain and load into gemstone

There is the PharoCompatibility project[1] that has a number of pharo-specific messages and classes, but it hasn't been updated for several years, so it doesn't have any Pharo7.0 support. The PharoCompatibility project is included as part of the GsDevKit_home checkout, but it isn't loaded by default ... but it should show up in your project list and you only need to load it to get it loaded ...

I assume that the folks doing develop in Pharo deploy in GemStone are using one of the first two techniques ... over the years Pharo has deprecated a lot of methods and classes so a generic solution is probably too much to ask, so keeping a package of your very own with the needed methods and classes is probably not a bad way to go ...

Dale

[1] https://github.com/glassdb/PharoCompatibility

On 11/12/18 8:27 AM, Trussardi Dario Romano via Glass wrote:
Ciao,

	I development with Pharo  7.0	and  deployment with Gemstone.

	I have a method is defined both in Pharo and in Gemstone.

	For example 		Collection 	includesAllOf:

	Now this method is deprecate in Pharo		to: 		includesAll:

		but Gemstone ( 3.4.2 ) does not define	 includesAll:	 	method.

	How is it best to behave when these problematic are found?

	Thanks,

		Dario

Re: Gemstone and Pharo aligment

GLASS mailing list
Hi Dario, Dale,

I was unaware the PharoCompatibility project was indeed being picked up in GsDevKit…  (I think I’m just not following adequately for years now :)

I had started the project to move our own specific ‘compatibility’ package to the general GLASS/GSDevKit environment but probably because of the glassdb / GsDevKit / GLASS1 move/confusion, I lost track.

@Dario: for now, keep the method in a package you only load in GemStone.
I’ll push our own extensions copied from Pharo to Gemstone back into the package asap.

Let’s revive the project :)
@Dale: should I not move the repository to GsDevKit ?

cheers
Johan

On 11/21/18 11:45 PM, Johan Brichau wrote:
Hi Dario, Dale,

I was unaware the PharoCompatibility project was indeed being picked up in GsDevKit…  (I think I’m just not following adequately for years now :)
... and I have not had as much time to devote to weeding and gardening the repositories either:)

I had started the project to move our own specific ‘compatibility’ package to the general GLASS/GSDevKit environment but probably because of the glassdb / GsDevKit / GLASS1 move/confusion, I lost track.

@Dario: for now, keep the method in a package you only load in GemStone.
I’ll push our own extensions copied from Pharo to Gemstone back into the package asap.

Let’s revive the project :)
@Dale: should I not move the repository to GsDevKit ?

done ... https://github.com/GsDevKit/PharoCompatibility

Dale