Gemstone as a service?

Andy Burnett
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone offers GaaS? I would love to be able to just focus on writing code, and leave the system management to others. Gemstone does seem to offer a very complete package.

Also, does anyone know what's happening with Pharocloud? The site is still running, but it seems to be very quiet.

Cheers
Andy

Re: Gemstone as a service?

Tim Mackinnon
GaaS would be a great idea. I think I understood Pharo cloud had closed? I was steered towards Digital Ocean which was really simple to setup and very cheap. Although I think this is all heading towards kuberneties and docker images as the end game.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

> On 18 Aug 2018, at 12:11, Andy Burnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
> I was wondering if anyone offers GaaS? I would love to be able to just focus on writing code, and leave the system management to others. Gemstone does seem to offer a very complete package.
>
> Also, does anyone know what's happening with Pharocloud? The site is still running, but it seems to be very quiet.
>
> Cheers
> Andy

Andy

Re: Gemstone as a service?

itlists@schrievkrom.de
This would be of general interest ... I suppose

Marten

Marten Feldtmann

Re: Gemstone as a service?

jgfoster

On Aug 19, 2018, at 1:28 AM, Marten Feldtmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

This would be of general interest ... I suppose

Marten

I’m certainly hoping so! From the schedule:

A Browser-based IDE for Cloud-hosted GemStone
WhenWed, September 12, 12:30pm – 12:45pm
DescriptionJames Foster Polito While Smalltalk has been an innovator in many ways, hosted development tools has not been a notable area of leadership. Smalltalk’s ecosystem tends to have a more challenging install process (particularly for GemStone) and this may limit its ability to attract attention. Tools like Cloud9 and Jupyter make it very easy to experiment with C++ or Python using just a web browser. In this presentation we look at an approach to using GemStone in the cloud with only a web browser.

James Foster

P.S. I’m not sure how “Politio” got added to my name in the ESUG schedule, but https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Polito, gives the following definition:

"A sweet, innocent guy at heart. Not afraid to express himself.
Full of prosperity and talent, loving every moment he gets from pleasing a crowd. A carefree character that has a clear feminine side. Stands out from the crowd and always has something to share and someone to share it with. Moves on quickly through life and is admired by many, but hurts people with comments that may seem very simple to him. Naive at times, Linguistic, cheerful, honest, smiley, juvenile, good-looking, confident, funny, talented.... this list could go on forever ;) "

<[hidden email]>> wrote:

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone offers GaaS? I would love to be able to just
focus on writing code, and leave the system management to others.
Gemstone does seem to offer a very complete package.

Also, does anyone know what's happening with Pharocloud? The site is
still running, but it seems to be very quiet.

Cheers
Andy

--
Marten Feldtmann

Re: Gemstone as a service?

Andy Burnett
James wrote:
<<<
Will you be coming to ESUG? Perhaps we could discuss this in more detail after my talk on Wednesday at 12:30 (https://esug.github.io/2018-Conference/conf2018.html <https://esug.github.io/2018-Conference/conf2018.html>).

Unfortunately not, so I will have to wait for the slides, and video. However, this does sound encouraging.

Might GemTalk get into the business of offering GaaS? Perhaps through Heroku or similar.

Cheers
Andy

Re: Gemstone as a service?

jgfoster

On Aug 19, 2018, at 3:49 PM, Andy Burnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

Might [someone provide] GaaS ... through Heroku[?]

Regarding Heroku, see https://programminggems.wordpress.com/2013/07/16/gemstones-on-heroku/ and https://github.com/jgfoster/heroku-gss (from 2013). It seems to me that ephemeral file systems are a pretty big hurdle.

James

Re: Gemstone as a service?

Iwan Vosloo
Hi Andy,

On 18/08/2018 18:12, Andy Burnett wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone offers GaaS? I would love to be able to just
> focus on writing code, and leave the system management to others.
> Gemstone does seem to offer a very complete package.

We have one client for whom we are managing a fair number of GemStone
servers and I am itching to do this "aaS". Being able to use the same
for several clients would make it easier to spend more time and
resources, hopefully making the offering better.

I've been holding back on the idea though because I have no idea of
knowing whether there is enough interest for something like this to make
it financially viable.

If people are interested, I'd also love to know what their requirements are:
  - how big are the systems they want to run ito the various machine
resources and network resources needed?
  - how complicated the setup needs to be (we run a fairly simple setup,
more flexible setups may be difficult to generalise)?
  - where to you prefer to locate servers physically, and do you require
hot-standbys (perhaps in a different location)?
  - what do you require in terms of the process deploying new versions
of your code to production?
  - ... or any other requirements?

Regards
Iwan

Re: Gemstone as a service?

Iwan Vosloo

On 18/08/2018 18:25, Tim Mackinnon wrote:
> I was steered towards Digital Ocean which was really simple to setup and
> very cheap. Although I think this is all heading towards kuberneties and
> docker images as the end game.

Although we are not using Docker and kubernetes currently, we've been
eyeing them and hoping to grow in that direction too. Is there a problem
with such an approach? Could it help if someone produced, say a set of
usable docker containers for various gemstone bits?

Regards
Iwan

Re: Gemstone as a service?

Richard Sargent
Administrator
Well, Iwan, we are definitely interested in what our customers' needs are.

I think it's fair to say that the only things we have excluded are things that would bankrupt us. GemTalk is truly interested in learning what our customers want to do and in producing solutions that meet those needs.