Gemstone load on «Ubuntu Server Edition»10.04 LTS

Gemstone load on «Ubuntu Server Edition»10.04 LTS

dario trussardi
Hi All,

tomorrow i think to install a new server based on 10.04 LTS, «Ubuntu Server Edition».

After i'm interested to install on it the last Gemstone version.

What's the best method to do it ?

Some time ago i load Gemstone on MacBook and Monty Williams( thank )  i send me link to the script for configure and load all automatically.

I can found a script for do all on Ubuntu server ?

or follow the James  http://programminggems.wordpress.com/2010/01/12/slicehost-2/    indications ?

or ...... ?

How you have understand i'm no expert of Linux system and any consideration  would be greatly appreciated !

Thank,

Dario

Re: Gemstone load on «Ubuntu Server Edition»10.04 LTS

Dale Henrichs
Dario Trussardi wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> tomorrow i think to install a new server based on 10.04 LTS, «Ubuntu Server Edition».
>
> After i'm interested to install on it the last Gemstone version.
>
> What's the best method to do it ?
>
> Some time ago i load Gemstone on MacBook and Monty Williams( thank )  i send me link to the script for configure and load all automatically.
>
> I can found a script for do all on Ubuntu server ?
>
> If  no, i can use the GemStone/S 2.3.1 Web Edition for Linux<http://glass-downloads.gemstone.com/gss23/GemStone64Bit2.3.1.0.1-x86_64.Linux.zip> from  http://seaside.gemstone.com/downloads.html  ?
>

> or follow the James  http://programminggems.wordpress.com/2010/01/12/slicehost-2/    indications ?
>
> or ...... ?
>

> How you have understand i'm no expert of Linux system and any consideration  would be greatly appreciated !
>
> Thank,
>
> Dario

Dario,

I would think that following James' instructions:

   http://programminggems.wordpress.com/2010/01/12/slicehost-2/

would your best bet.

In James' post he describes using a GemStone/S 64 2.4.1 installation.
For 2.4.x I recommend that you do an bootstrap install of 1.0-beta.5
rather than use the extent0.seaside.dbf that ships with 2.4.1:

http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2009/12/16/bootstrapping-glass-1-0-beta-5/

and then upgrade to 1.0-beta.8.

Over the next several weeks I will be releasing a 1.0-beta.8 bootstrap,
a 2.4.x server release with 1.0-beta.8 pre-installed and new appliance,
but if your ready to install now, I'd say go ahead.

Dale

Re: Gemstone load on «Ubuntu Server Edition»10.04 LTS

dario trussardi

i do some work for startup Gemstone on Ubuntu server Edition.

This are some consideration and questions.

A) i need to install:

apt-get install bc

apt-get install unzip

The equivalent installation script for Linux is http://seaside.gemstone.com/scripts/installGemstone2.3-Linux.sh
which only installs GemStone. It doesn't setup Apache or do anything else beyond installing GemStone itself.

You may want to change this line:
  gsvers="GemStone64Bit2.3.1.0.1-x86_64.Linux"

to install GemStone 2.4 instead:
  gsvers="GemStone64Bit2.4.2.1-x86_64.Linux"

B) I follow this last indication 2.4 , but i need also to change gss23 to gss24 in this line:

# Download GemStone echo "==> Downloading GemStone archive" if [ ! -e $zipfile ] then wget http://glass-downloads.gemstone.com/gss24/$zipfile

A this point after set the lighttpd.config,  i start the gemstone and the request from www go well.

EXTENT  PORTING

On my MAC where load Hyper server,  i update the Gemstone to 1.0-beta8.

Now i copy from MAC to Ubuntu the extent0.dbf file.

The startup on Ubuntu go well and the GemTools work fine on this environment.

The www request don't go.

The system answer:  500 Internal Server Error or  503 - Service Not Available.

I think this problem is relative to the Seaside Hyper support.

Questions :

Q_A)  i can remove the  'Seaside Hyper' from this environment on Ubuntu server  and restore the FastCGI support ?

Q_B) I note the startup on ubuntu don't  test the gemstone.secret password ( it's start always )

Q_B1) The shutdown erase always the :

GemStone: Error         Fatal
Login failed:  the GemStone userId/password combination is invalid or expired.

( But i wrong configuration ?)

Q_C) i'm interested to startup Gemstone when the server go on.

Anyone writing shell to do it and other system operation ( save log - do backup ....... ) ?

Thanks,

Dario

Re: Gemstone load on «Ubuntu Server Edition»10.04 LTS

dario trussardi
Dale,

my goal is to port the Pier site development on MAC Gemstone to Ubuntu server

and development with seaside 2.8...... for now.

( I think to upgrade at seaside 3.0 after )

On my Ubuntu server i load the "GemStone64Bit2.4.2.1-x86_64.Linux".

I do this test and questions :

> EXTENT  PORTING
>

> On my MAC where load Hyper server,  i update the Gemstone to 1.0-beta8.
>
> Now i copy from MAC to Ubuntu the extent0.dbf file.

I can do it ? Or file are incompatible ?

> The startup on Ubuntu go well and the GemTools work fine on this environment.
>
> The www request don't go.
>
> The system answer: 500 Internal Server Error or 503 - Service Not Available.
>
> I think this problem is relative to the Seaside Hyper support.
>

> Questions :
>
> Q_A)  i can remove the  'Seaside Hyper' from this environment on Ubuntu server  and restore the FastCGI support ?
>

> Q_B) I note the startup on ubuntu don't  test the gemstone.secret password ( it's start always )
>
> Q_B1) The shutdown erase always the :
>
> GemStone: Error         Fatal
> Login failed:  the GemStone userId/password combination is invalid or expired.
>
> ( But i wrong configuration ?)
>

> Q_C) i'm interested to startup Gemstone when the server go on.
>
> Anyone writing shell to do it and other system operation ( save log - do backup ....... ) ?

Now my considerations :

        ' I think this problem is relative to the Seaside Hyper support '

it's right

or for solve my problem i need to install on the server the :   "GemStone64Bit2.3.1.0.1-x86_64.Linux"?

or ??????.

Ciao, thank,

        Dario

Re: Gemstone load on «Ubuntu Server Edition»10.04 LTS

SeanTAllen
> Questions :
> Q_A)  i can remove the  'Seaside Hyper' from this environment on Ubuntu
> server  and restore the FastCGI support ?

2.4 uses swazoo not hyper

> Q_C) i'm interested to startup Gemstone when the server go on.

There are scripts for that that are part of the how to create your own
appliance
that I did.