[General] Feedback: Exposing the Individual Popup Menu Functions for Code Browser

[General] Feedback: Exposing the Individual Popup Menu Functions for Code Browser

Philip Weaver
I'm beginning to tinker with editing system code via the code browser. In my
view, as a new user, some of the best candidates for tweaking are the
actions in the popup menu: create rectangle but instead green, create text
morph but instead with stickies colors, open code browser with larger
bounds. However none of these actions are exposed to the code browser
individually - you instead have to edit the entire method: subMenuItems. So
it would be nice if this method was instead a new set of classes (perhaps
grouped in a namespace for grouping in the code browser). The subMenuItems
method even has an existing comment: // FIXME this boilerplate code should
be abstracted somehow.
I think this is very important for new users to quickly understand using the
code browser. Perhaps I will refactor that method over the next few days -
but if anyone runs with this this let me know.

Also, aside: I could never find Morph.makeRectangle in the code browser.

Phil
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

[General] Feedback: Exposing the Individual Popup Menu Functions for Code Browser

Robert Krahn
> Also, aside: I could never find Morph.makeRectangle in the code
> browser.

The makeRectangle is a class method of morph. Open a SystemBrowser,
click on Core.js. enter makeRectangle in a text field, select it and
hit alt+w (for searching the source, also available in the context
menu under Text functions). You will then see an item 'Core.js:3165:
propertyDef:Morph>>makeRectangle:'

Robert