[General] Good News: Canvas Port

Dan Ingalls-5
Folks -

We have just put together a port of The Lively Kernel that uses the
Canvas graphics API instead of SVG.  This means potentially better
browser support and potentially better performance, though neither is
the case yet.  We hope you will enjoy helping us to debug this port.
You can find it at...

        http://livelykernel.sunlabs.com/repository/lively-kernel/trunk/source/kernel/expt.xhtml

... but you need to be running the latest WebKit or MineField, or
possibly Chrome or Safari 4 beta.

Almost all the graphics works@this point, but there is one
remaining hole in the implementation.  Up to now, we have been using
the serialization support in the SVG DOM to save Lively state on web
pages.  In order to save our state without this SVG support, it will
be necessary to add a serialization / deserialization package that
uses another mechanism such as, eg, JSON.  This could be a lot of fun
for one of our braver community members (ahem).

Try it out.

Tell us about problems.

... and have fun!

        - Dan

[General] Good News: Canvas Port

Michael Rueger-6
On Tue, Mar 24, 2009@11:49 PM, Daniel Ingalls <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Folks -
>
> We have just put together a port of The Lively Kernel that uses the
> Canvas graphics API instead of SVG.  This means potentially better

cool :-)

> the serialization support in the SVG DOM to save Lively state on web
> pages.  In order to save our state without this SVG support, it will
> be necessary to add a serialization / deserialization package that
> uses another mechanism such as, eg, JSON.  This could be a lot of fun
> for one of our braver community members (ahem).

To be honest I haven't worked much with Lively, but done a lot of
serialization work ;-)

If not put into SVG anymore, how does state manifest itself in the new version?
Is all state available in the lively objects or would one need to
intercept the Canvas calls to capture the state?
I could image that some state is now in code e.g. by drawing something
with explicit values that are not kept in any variable.

Cheers

Michael

[General] Good News: Canvas Port

Dan Ingalls-5
Hi, Michael -

> > the serialization support in the SVG DOM to save Lively state on web
>> pages.  In order to save our state without this SVG support, it will
>> be necessary to add a serialization / deserialization package that
>> uses another mechanism such as, eg, JSON.  This could be a lot of fun
>> for one of our braver community members (ahem).
>
>To be honest I haven't worked much with Lively, but done a lot of
>serialization work ;-)
>
>If not put into SVG anymore, how does state manifest itself in the new version?
>Is all state available in the lively objects or would one need to
>intercept the Canvas calls to capture the state?
>I could image that some state is now in code e.g. by drawing something
>with explicit values that are not kept in any variable.

The state of the Lively Kernel is essentially a scene graph, or since you're familiar with Squeak, it's basically a Morphic world.  I believe that all state is accessible in the Morphic tree.

        - Dan