[General] Lurkers and Shirkers: we need workers!

[General] Lurkers and Shirkers: we need workers!

Philip Weaver
Hire some new workers:

   - Create a page for Lively in Wikipedia and list it:
      - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:JavaScript_libraries
      - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_JavaScript_frameworks
      - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Ajax_(programming)

Just where I'd begin.

Philip

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009@3:14 PM, Dan Ingalls <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey, Lively Folks -
>
> Suppose you had entire command of the Lively Kernel Project;  what
> would you do to get some momentum going in the community?
>
> It seems to me that most of the hard work has been done@this
> point, but something is preventing everyone from picking it up and
> getting involved.  What should we do?
>
> Thanks
>        - Dan

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

[General] Lurkers and Shirkers: we need workers!

Philip Weaver
Here are some key points. Anyone want to discuss?

   1. Evagelism
   2. Funding
   3. Contests, Incentive

> On Thu, Nov 5, 2009@3:14 PM, Dan Ingalls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hey, Lively Folks -
>>
>> Suppose you had entire command of the Lively Kernel Project;  what
>> would you do to get some momentum going in the community?
>>
>> It seems to me that most of the hard work has been done@this
>> point, but something is preventing everyone from picking it up and
>> getting involved.  What should we do?
>>
>> Thanks
>>        - Dan

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

[General] Lurkers and Shirkers: we need workers!

Dan Ingalls-5
Hi, Phil and all -

>Here are some key points. Anyone want to discuss?
>
>1.  Evagelism
>2.  Funding
>3.   Contests, Incentive

Thanks for taking a step!

I think there's another item which is a punch list of things that
need to be done, and a road map or wish list of things that should be
done or would be fun@least.  Maybe refactor these as a roadmap
under evangelism, and one more project descriptions designed to get
people interested and hopefully induce some actual participation.

        4.  Projects

I'm willing to take a first pass@the content for evangelism.  I
will try to get something out very soon (next day or two) because I
have another deadline looming that will keep me busy until the end of
the month.  It would be great if someone else could then pretty it up
and disseminate it along the lines of Phil's earlier message.

I have two thoughts about ways to generate interest and possibly even funding:

Interest:
I was going to do this last year but I ran out of time.  Sadly the
timing is really tight again, but...
The idea is to do an Advent Calendar in Lively Kernel.  This was done
once in Squeak and it was a *lot* of fun.  The idea is that there is
a front page with 25 places you can click, but you can only look@
the first N of them on December Nth.  It has the following virtues...

        It's a time when people are looking for distraction
        It's a seasonal topic so easy to "advertise"
        It's an opportunity for lots of simple cute hacks
        It can easily be a tutorial in disguise

Obviously it would be nice to have all the punch list items done
first, but I think a better strategy@this point is to build some
momentum and then use the community to do some of the finish work
(this is why the roadmap is important).  My experience from last year
is that this is best done in the Lively Wiki.

Funding / incentive
I listen to people groaning about how to become an iPhone developer
and how to break into the iPhone app marketing engine, and yet Lively
Kernel apps run just fine in the iPhone with no need for Flash and no
interference from Apple.

What if,@the end of the Advent Calendar, there were a way to join
an LK Wiki and be able to save your fun hacks and useful apps that
could run on iPhone (and others).  If we could pull off the calendar
project, we could rally a lot of attention.

I'll try to put together some text for a WikiPedia page and roadmap
in the next day or two, and maybe people can discuss some more in the
meantime.

        - Dan