[General] future plans for Lively Kernel

1 message Options

[General] future plans for Lively Kernel

Richard Karpinski-2
I eagerly await the new release.

I love the direction you are headed toward, with one exception.

Despite the wonderful advances in data storage technology, making a
complete copy of ten or twenty thousand lines of code for each
project seems excessive to me. I know I can avoid that by just
continuing to use git for the storage, but that seems excessively
retro to me.

What would please me is a system with the base and mods distinguished
so that twenty little projects can consume only slightly more space
than the unmodified system. You could say the base system was
"transcluded by reference" in the new system or the Christmas card.

Transclusion clearly won't be necessary for the first Lively Kernel
version without a separate git or CVS source code control system, but
I hope it will be designed with that in mind and in the explicit plans.

Incidentally, there is now a roughly one page summary of "The Humane
Interface"@http://bilconference.pbwiki.com/The+Humane+Interface
for anyone who cares about making their system work well with humans.