[General] wiki broken? -and java lively

Peter Fraser
Hi

1.
The LK wiki seems to have been broken for a while (or is it just me?).
Worlds fail to start.

I *think* that the problem is that getting scratch.js returns a 404 *and
a page not found html page*  - the browser is choking on the html. I'm
not certain this is the problem, but it is the only error in the console.

2.
I've been playing with a Lively world running in "Squiggle"  (the demo
batik viewer).  In theory, this isn't a big deal  -Squiggle is just
another browser that happens to be implemented in Java and doesn't
bother with html.   In practice it was fantastic to see the radial
engine fire up!  I don't know if it is just a win for generality,or hard
work by the Lively team to ensure that Rhino/Batik support   -but it
sure is cool.

Krzysztof pointed me@an url  for use with batik a while ago, but it
threw a scary looking exception in Squiggle and I gave up. The problem
turns out to be easily worked around   [pass the document object as xpe
when creating the Query class  -rather than passing
Global.XPathEvaluator (an interface in Batik apparently) or calling new
XPathEvaluator   (fails as you are trying to instatiate an interface).
The document implements XPathEvaluator (but I'm not sure this is the
perfect solution)  Also, we don't seem to get the document's
spec/location from squiggle, which causes problems when creating the URL
class in network.js] .

If anyone feels like running Lively in java, download Batik (includes
squiggle), start squiggle and open the 2nd URL below

original world (nearly works) at:

http://livelykernel.sunlabs.com//legacy/0.8.5/Lively.svg

hacked world (identical except for core.js and network.js in which i
made 2 squiggle specific hacks)

*still throws an exception that i haven't  looked into  -but does start*

http://www.spatialmedia.com/lively/batik85r1/Lively.svg

regards
Pete
(gerbil)

btw: yes, moprhing squiggle into a lively capable applet would be cool
wouldn't it...

[General] wiki broken? -and java lively

Dan Ingalls-5
Hi Peter -

>1.
>The LK wiki seems to have been broken for a while (or is it just me?).
>Worlds fail to start.

Hmm.  All works fine for me in Safari, FF3 and Chrome, starting at...
        http://livelykernel.sunlabs.com/repository/lively-wiki/index.xhtml
and testing the kaleidoscope as well.  (not what you wanted to hear I know)

>I *think* that the problem is that getting scratch.js returns a 404 *and
>a page not found html page*  - the browser is choking on the html. I'm
>not certain this is the problem, but it is the only error in the console.

Usually scratch.js gets ignored without mishap.  What browser are you using?
Any possibility that something wrong is being cached?  Make sure
all caching is emptied and off@least once.

>2.
>I've been playing with a Lively world running in "Squiggle"  (the demo
>batik viewer).  In theory, this isn't a big deal  -Squiggle is just
>another browser that happens to be implemented in Java and doesn't
>bother with html.   In practice it was fantastic to see the radial
>engine fire up!  I don't know if it is just a win for generality,or hard
>work by the Lively team to ensure that Rhino/Batik support   -but it
>sure is cool.
>
>Krzysztof pointed me@an url  for use with batik a while ago, but it
>threw a scary looking exception in Squiggle and I gave up. The problem
>turns out to be easily worked around   [pass the document object as xpe
>when creating the Query class  -rather than passing
>Global.XPathEvaluator (an interface in Batik apparently) or calling new
>XPathEvaluator   (fails as you are trying to instatiate an interface).
>The document implements XPathEvaluator (but I'm not sure this is the
>perfect solution)  Also, we don't seem to get the document's
>spec/location from squiggle, which causes problems when creating the URL
>class in network.js] .

This is great to hear!  Up to now, the only way we had to hook up
to Java was Krzysztof's somewhat special hookup though emulated DOM.
Would be great to have this work along with midi for the PianoKeyboard ;-)

>If anyone feels like running Lively in java, download Batik (includes
>squiggle), start squiggle and open the 2nd URL below
>
>original world (nearly works) at:
>
>http://livelykernel.sunlabs.com//legacy/0.8.5/Lively.svg
>
>hacked world (identical except for core.js and network.js in which i
>made 2 squiggle specific hacks)
>
>*still throws an exception that i haven't  looked into  -but does start*
>
>http://www.spatialmedia.com/lively/batik85r1/Lively.svg
>
>regards
>Pete
>(gerbil)
>
>btw: yes, moprhing squiggle into a lively capable applet would be cool
>wouldn't it...

Indeed.  You go, guy...

        - Dan