Get a String during the execution

Valentin Ryckewaert
Hi !

I'm trying to make a method able to ask the user to write something which will be used in the method.
During my method execution, a pop up appear on the screen, the user write anything 'test' for exemple, and then the method continue using this string.

The code looks like this:
MyClass>>dostuff
mypopup := MyPopup new.
mypopup openDialogWithSpec.
mypopup window okAction: [ date := mapop input text. dostuff with the variable date ]."

And then I execute this method:
MyClass new dostuff.
SessionManager default snapshot: false andQuit: true (To close Pharo)

The problem is that the method dostuff wait the proc of the popup to make what is in the bloc but continue execution and close Pharo.
I would like to be able to stop execution of the code just after mypopup window okAction and to reactivate it in the bloc executed when it's proc.
Is it possible?

Valentin

Re: Get a String during the execution

Julien Delplanque
Hello Valentin,

You should check the World>>#openModal: message.

I think this is what you are looking for. :-)

Regards,

Julien

On 18/05/16 14:08, Valentin Ryckewaert wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I'm trying to make a method able to ask the user to write something which
> will be used in the method.
> During my method execution, a pop up appear on the screen, the user write
> anything 'test' for exemple, and then the method continue using this string.
>
> The code looks like this:
> MyClass>>dostuff
> mypopup := MyPopup new.
> mypopup openDialogWithSpec.
> mypopup window okAction: [ date := mapop input text. dostuff with the
> variable date ]."
>
> And then I execute this method:
> MyClass new dostuff.
> SessionManager default snapshot: false andQuit: true (To close Pharo)
>
> The problem is that the method dostuff wait the proc of the popup to make
> what is in the bloc but continue execution and close Pharo.
> I would like to be able to stop execution of the code just after mypopup
> window okAction and to reactivate it in the bloc executed when it's proc.
> Is it possible?
>
> Valentin

Re: Get a String during the execution

Valentin Ryckewaert
Hello julien,

cyril helped me i'm using UIManager default textEntry: 'Type something'. and it's exactly what I was looking for !

Thanks you for your answer, i'll check openModal anyway ! :)

Valentin

[...]

No problem. :-)

++
Julien